PDA

View Full Version : First Base During Interleague

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Interleague play is fast approaching, which means that it is once again time to decide who the Sox will start first base once the scene shifts to National League parks. This season, the Sox will pay visits to Florida's Pro Player Stadium and Montreal's Olympic Stadium.

Both Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko are off to solid starts this season. Both have played well enough to deserve playing time. But obviously, only one can play at a time (unless Ozzie wants to stick Konerko in LF). Thoughts?

soltrain21
05-31-2004, 06:20 PM
I would say it depends on who is pitching. I won't have a problem with either of them in there, and that is a good thing.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 06:21 PM
This actually should be in the clubhouse. I posted it in the Parking Lot by mistake because I was over here when I started the thread.

SoxBoy14
05-31-2004, 06:37 PM
I think Ozzie should switch both players every other game. Unless one of them has a fantastic game and deserves to play again.

The one thing I hate about interleague play is that whenever an AL pitcher steps up to the plate it's an automatic out. So our hitters have to take it up a knotch.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 06:40 PM
I would go with the hottest bat going into the series.

kermittheefrog
05-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Gotta give the starts to Thomas, he's the man.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Konerko in LF??? Wow. I'd rather have Frank in LF. Paulie would get to as many balls in left as a paralytic.

But seriously, Frank has to be at first. Paulie can be a valuable pinch hitter and then subsequently pinch run for.

LauraJ14
05-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Doesn't Konerko have the best average on the team with runners in scoring position and have more RBI's than Frank?

Brian26
05-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Both have played well enough to deserve playing time. But obviously, only one can play at a time (unless Ozzie wants to stick Konerko in LF). Thoughts?

I've thrown some crazy-ass thoughts like this up on the board before and been crucified for it.

I actually had a suggestion a couple of springs ago to thrown Konerko back over at thirdbase. The replies were basically "that only works on Playstation baseball".

Last summer I toyed with the idea of having Mags in center and Daubach in right to get Daubach's bat into the lineup (this was before we picked up Everett).

I think if we were going to try anything crazy, it might be Konerko at third (before LF). Crede being in such a slump doesn't necessarily help the situation. There will be people here that will argue Konerko's glove at third offsets any offensive advantage be having both he and Frank in the lineup.

It's fun to think about, although the thought probably isn't very feasible.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've thrown some crazy-ass thoughts like this up on the board before and been crucified for it.

I actually had a suggestion a couple of springs ago to thrown Konerko back over at thirdbase. The replies were basically "that only works on Playstation baseball".

Last summer I toyed with the idea of having Mags in center and Daubach in right to get Daubach's bat into the lineup (this was before we picked up Everett).

I think if we were going to try anything crazy, it might be Konerko at third (before LF). Crede being in such a slump doesn't necessarily help the situation. There will be people here that will argue Konerko's glove at third offsets any offensive advantage be having both he and Frank in the lineup.

It's fun to think about, although the thought probably isn't very feasible.

At the beginning of the 2000 season, Konerko actually did play third base, and Frank was at first. Jerry Manuel abandoned the idea because Konerko didn't feel comfortable playing there.

Brian26
05-31-2004, 08:43 PM
At the beginning of the 2000 season, Konerko actually did play third base, and Frank was at first. Jerry Manuel abandoned the idea because Konerko didn't feel comfortable playing there.

2000 or 1999? I thought Konerko played semi-regularly at third in '99, but by early 2000 I thought Norton and Craig Wilson were our third basemen.

Brian26
05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Wow, RK you were correct.

I just checked retrosheet.org (an AMAZING reference tool).

PK played 7 games at third in 2000.

He only played 1 game at third in '99.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Wow, RK you were correct.

I just checked retrosheet.org (an AMAZING reference tool).

PK played 7 games at third in 2000.

He only played 1 game at third in '99.

I just looked there, as well. Retrosheet is one of my favorite baseball sites. I enjoy looking back at the old boxscores to see what happened in different games.

WinningUgly!
05-31-2004, 08:54 PM

2000 or 1999? I thought Konerko played semi-regularly at third in '99, but by early 2000 I thought Norton and Craig Wilson were our third basemen.

1998 - 20 games at 3B & 18 in LF (with LA/CIN)
1999 - 1 game at 3B
2000 - 7 games at 3B

Brian26
05-31-2004, 08:58 PM
I just looked there, as well. Retrosheet is one of my favorite baseball sites. I enjoy looking back at the old boxscores to see what happened in different games.

I was just looking at all of the box scores for the first couple of months of 2000. Why in the hell, during the series at home against Anaheim, did Manual have PK at third while Norton was at first? Very bizarre. This is after Norton had played considerable time at thirdbase.

Another interesting tidbit is that we came out of camp with twelve pitchers...and Kip Wells was our #2 starter! The rotation was set up like this: Sirotka, Kip, Parque, Baldwin, and Eldred.

Seven arms in the pen: Simas, Erye, Wunsch, Sturtze, Howry, Foulke, and Lowe.

Simas (injury), Erye (minors) and Sturtze (trade) were gone pretty quickly.

DrummerGeorgefan
05-31-2004, 09:55 PM
I think the addition of Gload gives us many options how to play around with 1B during interleague play. He could take Paulie's place, or be stuck in for certain pitchers, or it can allow Frank to play in the early innings then switch for late defensive needs.

BeerHandle
05-31-2004, 09:59 PM
As much as I am a Frank fan, I would have to say that Ozzie should alternate starts.

pearso66
06-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Didn't Tanyon Sturtze start a few games for us? I seem to remember him getting lit up while starting, and thats when he got traded?

minastirith67
06-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Frank should start most if not almost all, interleague games at 1B at least for now.

When I think about it, I really dislike this interleague stuff...I think it defeats the purpose of having two leagues and a WS where the best teams from each league play each other.

maurice
06-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
Frank should start most if not almost all, interleague games at 1B

Agree. It's pretty clear that, if interleague play started today, Frank should play 1B, and Paulie should PH.

Frank's got a .291 AVE / .457 OBP (2nd in the AL) / .563 SLG (5th) / 1.020 OPS (4th). That's really good. Paulie has been pretty good (.880 OPS), but Frank's numbers are outstanding.

Whitesox029
06-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Alternate--I'm serious--every other day like catchers. Start with Paulie so he can play twice at Wrigley--he kills the Cubs.