PDA

View Full Version : Tigers?

twinsuck1
05-31-2004, 05:08 PM
I am the only one that Is a little scared of playing the Detroit Tigers this year?

Konerkoholic
05-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Well I was terrified of them last year.

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by twinsuck1
I am the only one that Is a little scared of playing the Detroit Tigers this year?

It can't be much worse that last year. They tore us up.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 05:12 PM

I bet there are some Tiger fans that share your sentiments.

TDog
05-31-2004, 05:24 PM
The Tigers were competitive against the Sox last year, almost swpt the Sox in Chi, but for a dramatic extra-inning win on Sunday. I expect them to be competive agaisnt us this year.

Two points though:

If the Tigers are competitive againt other teams, they will help the Sox in the standings.

I don't expect Loaiza to lose two 1-0 games to the Tigers this year.

LASOXFAN
05-31-2004, 05:30 PM
This team has such a different mindset this year I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, I think they are chomping at the bit to get back at the tigers.

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Yes. I am also. We stunk against them Last Year.........
and they were the WORST in baseball. Theyre basically
a .500 team now.............do the math.
However, thats why im Planning a Roadtrip to DETROIT,
bring some HomeTown Flavor to the MotorCity. I suggest
others do the same, we need to support The Beloved.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes. I am also. We stunk against them Last Year.........
and they were the WORST in baseball. Theyre basically
a .500 team now.............do the math.

:jerry
I know you may be too busy bullying Cub fans in local bars, but I don't manage the Sox any more.

WLL1855
05-31-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I know you may be too busy bullying Cub fans in local bars, but I don't manage the Sox any more.

Good point.

danjames
05-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm not really any more "scared" of the tigers as I was after they beat us around last year. Even if the tigers were twice as improved as they appear to be, they would be hard pressed to beat us any more than they already did. When you play a team so often, it's difficult to run away with the season series if both teams are basically talented. So, the Tigers beat us when they weren't very good, it seems unlikely they'll figure out a way to win twice as many games now that they're better. And whether they beat us 1-0 (like last year) or 10-1 (I doubt it!) they'd still only get credit for a single win, while probably beating some teams they wouldn't have beat last year. So I'm not too worried.

Jjav829
05-31-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm not too worried. We don't play them until the end of July. By that time we should have a 5th starter, a new centerfielder, and possibly another reliever. They're definitely more competitive this year. Ivan Rodriguez (to save the obligatory "I didn't know Fisk was on the Tigers" post), White and Guillen have all been nice pickups for them. They just got Dmitri Young back today. Sanchez has been hitting/bunting very well. That offense is scrappy enough to help them be competitive but their pitching has been atrocious. With Ozzie at the helm in place of Manuel, and our new additions, I think we'll play them much better this year.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm not worried. Jerry Manuel isn't around to screw things up this season.

"If it's fixed, break it."

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 09:06 PM
if you're going to fear the tigers, you might as well fear the royals, orioles, blue jays, etc. etc. etc.

and while each one of those teams can come out and beat us, and have, especially if we revert to tinkerer-era ball, i don't see any reason to fear any of these teams

they are marginally talented and that's it. we are a better team and by all rights we SHOULD (key word, SHOULD) beat them

i save my fear for the yankees, red sox, twins and all west coast teams

MRKARNO
05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
This team has treated the Angels, Rangers, Indians, Twins, etc. equally. The Royals we just destroyed except for the opening day disaster because we played them the same way we have been against other teams and they suck "royally." I fully expect us to go AT LEAST 11-8 against the Tigers this year if not 12-7 or 13-6

CubKilla
06-01-2004, 12:07 AM

No. Me and a friend were discussing this yesterday and two points were brought up. One was that the Tigers are a much improved offensive team compared to '03's team. That's the obvious. And two, if the Sox woes were due to the fact that our hitters have a hard time picking up Detroit's junk-ballers, it could be that much more difficult to beat Detroit this year.

We both agreed that we would have liked to have seen at least one series against the Tigers before the All-Star break to get some kind of guage, but, as someone else already discussed in this thread, the White Sox have played well against every team they have played through 05/31.

elrod
06-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Not scared at all. The Tigers this year are like the Indians. A lot of good bats and very mediocre pitching. For the Tribe it's the relief that's stunk and for the Tigers it's the starters. Either way, they are unreliable. We took care of the Indians when they were hot. I suspect we should do fine against the Tigers.

As for last year, the Sox were incredibly streaky. The times they stunk against the Tigers were right after a bunch of disappointments. The sweep in Detroit was after the July 4 TB disaster. The near sweep at home was after getting humiliated in Minnesota. Other than those two series the Sox took care of the Tigers fine last year. The losses were total corpseball effort characteristic of the Jerry Manuel Sox on a downturn. Of the five losses in those two series, the Sox scored, 2, 0, 1, 2 and 0. In none of the those games did the Tigers score a lot.

So I'm not worried about the Tigers at all. At least not because of last year.

SSN721
06-01-2004, 07:36 AM
I know it is very pessimistic, for some reason I feel that I need to see this team play the Tigers for my full confidence (although I think they will win the division regardless). It was dissapointing the way this team played Detroit last year and I am sure they will do better then they did last year, or at worst the same record. I wish they didnt have all their games against them so late in the year. Hopefully they will be well out of it by then and playing out the string. I think it is a better team so I am more confident in them this year. Just wish they had a few series with them before the break.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2004, 08:27 AM
The games may be tough,but this year's team will be ready.
As posters earlier have stated,Loaiza won't lose a pair of 1-0
games to them this year.

Baby Fisk
06-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I fear the nattering nabobs who look at every upcoming series on the schedule and moan: "Should we fear the [insert team here]?"

I'm sick of it! OUR TEAM ROCKS! Look at the last three series, against teams that should have made us crap our shorts. Not only did we win each series, but we gave each team an old school shellacking!**

It's time for teams to start looking at the Chicago White Sox on the schedule and fearing US! Hell yeah! Have some pride in your first place team -- because the local media won't show it for you!

**(not including 5th starter fiascos)