PDA

View Full Version : Sox WGN broadcasts at the Cell

hose
05-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Anybody know why the audio portion of the WGN broadcast at the Cell has so much crowd noise mixed in?

It's hard to hear Hawk and DJ over the crowd not to mention the loudest hotdog vendor in North America voice is BOOMING.

TDog
05-31-2004, 03:54 PM
There is a microphone to pick up crowd noise. It is up to guys in the truck to mix it at an appropriate level.

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by TDog
There is a microphone to pick up crowd noise. It is up to guys in the truck to mix it at an appropriate level.

Yeah, but I hate when the Mikes are turned OFF completely,
inferring to the Audience that Noones at the Game.

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 08:08 PM
i know what you mean hose. i can hear hawk/dj fine on fsn but on wgn it sounds like htey are lost in the crowd noise more

i changed it from stereo to monaural and it helped the problem a little

mweflen
06-01-2004, 01:50 AM
i find their broadcasts on all - FSN, WCIU and WGN difficult to hear. and i'm not hard of hearing, either. :smile:

It's obviously a problem with their producers - they need to find a better mixing level. All three channels have the same producers for the broadcast.

It's not a problem when the crowd is noisy - Hawk and DJ are generally excited and speaking up at these junctures. It's really an issue in the lulls - the crowd has its normal buzz, but Hawk and DJ's 'normal' voices get drowned out into it.

they can address home audience 'perception' of the crowd with more of their carefully selected camera angles. i want to actually hear the witticisms that Hawk and DJ are exchanging.

ewokpelts
06-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by hose
Anybody know why the audio portion of the WGN broadcast at the Cell has so much crowd noise mixed in?

It's hard to hear Hawk and DJ over the crowd not to mention the loudest hotdog vendor in North America voice is BOOMING.
thier boom mikes are in the outfield by the fan deck...if you got a lot of peeps there...ti'll pick up.
Gene

Medford Bobby
06-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Actually the WGN sound is alot clearer and when a home run is hit, they have the best "miked" firework booms...I crank the stereo and neighbors think there is a war going on...the Fox net always sounds flater...not as "loud"

Will Comcast Sports have better mixing next year?? :?: