PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons Chat today

doctor30th
05-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Here's what peter had to say about the white sox.

carmen schaumburg, illinois: What do you think of the White Sox team, do you think they will be able to trade for a 5th starter and do you think they can compete for the pennant?

Peter Gammons: (3:06 PM ET ) My answer is yes, and yes. They are one of the biggest surprises in either league b/c their front four starters have been so good. Take out the fifth starter -- a position where they haven't won a game since 2002 -- and their pitchers would have the best ERA and quality start percentage in the league. Tim Williams is one of the most aggressive GMs out there. His first concerning is pitching -- and he will get some. Not only will he be a contender for Freddy Garcia, but I'll be he'll make a play on Carlos Beltran as well. With Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard coming on in AAA, he may have a left handed bat to put in centerfield. Don't bet against them going somewhere in October.

Glad to know he pays attention. I sure hope old timmy williams does us proud in deals.

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Here's what peter had to say about the white sox.

carmen schaumburg, illinois: What do you think of the White Sox team, do you think they will be able to trade for a 5th starter and do you think they can compete for the pennant?

Peter Gammons: (3:06 PM ET ) My answer is yes, and yes. They are one of the biggest surprises in either league b/c their front four starters have been so good. Take out the fifth starter -- a position where they haven't won a game since 2002 -- and their pitchers would have the best ERA and quality start percentage in the league. Tim Williams is one of the most aggressive GMs out there. His first concerning is pitching -- and he will get some. Not only will he be a contender for Freddy Garcia, but I'll be he'll make a play on Carlos Beltran as well. With Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard coming on in AAA, he may have a left handed bat to put in centerfield. Don't bet against them going somewhere in October.

Glad to know he pays attention. I sure hope old timmy williams does us proud in deals.

asides from some biographical errors about TW, it looks like boston finally has a clue about the southsiders

SoxxoS
05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
asides from some biographical errors about TW, it looks like boston finally has a clue about the southsiders

Don't get too excited.

soltrain21
05-31-2004, 02:27 PM
Does he have any clue when the Freddie Garcia sweepstakes will actually start, though?

I wanna run away with this divison

kojak
05-31-2004, 02:28 PM
"There are some who call me...Tim"

Death awaits you all! With nasty, big, pointy teeth! :angry:

Baby Fisk
05-31-2004, 02:29 PM
What an eccentric performance.

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 02:34 PM
I believe it's hard for Gammons to think of any first name other than Ted when talking about someone with the last name of Williams.

I know he mentions our farm league, but we have to come up with something other than these guys to get players the caliber of Garcia or Beltran.

I would love to find out what he thinks it will take.

BearSox
05-31-2004, 02:35 PM
:KW
TIMMY!

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Does he have any clue when the Freddie Garcia sweepstakes will actually start, though?

I wanna run away with this divison

We're not running away from anyone, especially Minny, at least until the second half. Minny's schedule is so rediculously easy before the break that they almost have to run into a bunch of wins even though they are in a slump. They always get that type of luck.

So even if we play extremely well for here on out, which will be tough with our schedule, I don't see us pulling away because of their schedule. That says nothing bad about us, just about the schedule.

That being said, if we can stay within 2 games of the Twins by a week after the all-star break I think we can REALLY tear it up in the second half, because their schedule is brutal, while ours is easier ON PAPER.

I think it's crucial that we don't fall far behind the Twins with their rediculously easy schedule, because I don't think that their luck is quite up yet, and I think they'll continue to pound the crap teams like they always do. It is IMPERATIVE to stay close until the allstar break, then we can really think about tearing them up.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I know he mentions our farm league, but we have to come up with something other than these guys to get players the caliber of Garcia or Beltran.
For half a season? I don't think it would take much more than farm league guys, although how many and which ones is yet to be determined.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Beltran? I'll believe it when I see it. Methinks Boston is just sitting at his desk, making up news again.

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Tim Williams is one of the most aggressive GMs out there.

TIMMMYYYY!!!!

His first concerning is pitching

Ha.

-- and he will get some.

Uhh...heheheheheeh...he's gonna ssss-core.

BeerHandle
05-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
We're not running away from anyone, especially Minny, at least until the second half. Minny's schedule is so rediculously easy before the break that they almost have to run into a bunch of wins even though they are in a slump. They always get that type of luck.

Take a look at each teams schedule from last year. We flip flopped. Good luck at the end of the year Twinkies!!