PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think the sox should acquire?


bartmanisgod
05-31-2004, 01:48 PM
These are just some of the names that have been tossed around this site but I was curious to see who would be the right fit for the sox

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 02:05 PM
i know it's not too realistic, but are there seriously people out there who think freddy garcia is a better pitcher than mark mulder?

doublem23
05-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
i know it's not too realistic, but are there seriously people out there who think freddy garcia is a better pitcher than mark mulder?

If there are, they're opinion should not be taken seriously. I would say that probably the best acquisition would be Garcia, though, because he might be the cheapest "good guy." Of course, I'd love to have a Mark Mulder, but it's going to take an arm and a leg to pry him from Oakland.

habibharu
05-31-2004, 03:30 PM
mark mulder??? no way they trade him. but i would give up just about anything for him. he's gotta be my favorite non sox player! in fact, i hate to say it, but i wont be that disappointed if he beats us wed!

doublem23
05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
mark mulder??? no way they trade him. but i would give up just about anything for him. he's gotta be my favorite non sox player! in fact, i hate to say it, but i wont be that disappointed if he beats us wed!

I could see it happening if Oakland falls out of contention, but as long as the A's feel they're in it, I think they'll take their chances.

habibharu
05-31-2004, 03:33 PM
i would trade maggs straight up for mulder. i gurantee that mulder wins at least one cy young in his career, barring injuries. getting mulder would arguably give us the two best left handed pitchers in the league

bartmanisgod
05-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I could see it happening if Oakland falls out of contention, but as long as the A's feel they're in it, I think they'll take their chances.

I think they would be more inclinded to tradce him if they were in the race! Give them maggs and Bochard for Mulder! They need bats much more than pitching!

habibharu
05-31-2004, 03:36 PM
no, adding in borchard might be too much, even for a stud like mulder.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by bartmanisgod
I think they would be more inclinded to tradce him if they were in the race! Give them maggs and Bochard for Mulder! They need bats much more than pitching!

Beane would never trade Mulder for Maggs and Borchard. Keep trying.

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Beane would never trade Mulder for Maggs and Borchard. Keep trying.

I'm not sure I would want KW to do that deal anyway.

beckett21
05-31-2004, 04:07 PM
I think they should acquire Josh Beckett and Curt Schilling.

I know, Beckett's on the DL :whiner:

Anyway, I voted for Mulder here, but this is just not realistic if you ask me.

To me the choice comes down to Garcia, Hernandez, and Benson, realistically. Given those 3 choices, I would still vote Garcia. But under the parameters of this poll, hell yeah I want Mulder. Dream the impossible dream....

doublem23
05-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Dream the impossible dream....

Maybe if we throw in Valentin and Ruddy Yan we can get Bobby Crosby, too!

beckett21
05-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Maybe if we throw in Valentin and Ruddy Yan we can get Bobby Crosby, too!

Don't forget Rauch for Hudson!

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Why is Mulder even on this list?

doublem23
05-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Why is Mulder even on this list?

I remember way back when early in the year when the A's were scuffling, there was some noise that Oakland would be willing to trade Hudson, Mulder, or Zito in order to get the money to resign one of two of them. I don't see it happening now that they're playing well again.

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 04:46 PM
we Need a Bartolo Colon type, a guy that can give us
200 innings, a strikeout guy (compliments the other pitchers we have). wait........didnt we have colon once?

doublem23
05-31-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
we Need a Bartolo Colon type, a guy that can give us
200 innings, a strikeout guy (compliments the other pitchers we have). wait........didnt we have colon once?

You mean the overpaid fat-ass that's got a bad back in Anaheim? I bet you want Sydney Ponson, too.

Too bad there's no, "This Post Sucks" tag.

CWSGuy406
05-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
i would trade maggs straight up for mulder. i gurantee that mulder wins at least one cy young in his career, barring injuries. getting mulder would arguably give us the two best left handed pitchers in the league

I second that. I believe someone from the Southtown wrote about that as a trade as well. Mulder in our rotation would give us the second or third best rotation in the AL. Maggs would be missed, but Mulder would bring a playoff-experienced pitcher to this team.

Navaro's Talent
05-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I know we've had quite a few threads on who the Sox can acquire to make the starting rotation solid as of late, but there is one pitcher I can think of who really hasn't been talked about much at all. That pitcher is Joe Kennedy of the Rockies. I don't know how long his current contract lasts, but the guy is making $320,000 this season. He's a left-handed pitcher with an era of 3.53 and a record of 4-3. For a guy pitching in Coors Field, I have to say that a 3.53 era is pretty good. Would the Rockies be willing to give him up? I'm not sure. They might look at Kennedy as the future of the club, but then again, if Kenny WIlliams can set up the right deal, anything can happen. I know he won't be as good as Freddy Garcia would be, but he's much cheaper. So, if Kenny can't get Freddy, then why not get Joe? With his small salary, we might be able to even get another player via trade.

Brian26
05-31-2004, 05:14 PM
I think Kenny's looking for a bigger name/impact-type player. A bigger name might generate bigger ticket sales too.

samram
05-31-2004, 05:14 PM
This is one of the few guys that has ever been able to pitch in Coors, so they can't let him go, especially at prearbitration prices.

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 05:16 PM
I met JoeKennedy at the airport bar in SanDiego last December.
Nice guy.

dickallen15
05-31-2004, 05:24 PM
I would really doubt the Rockies would trade a guy who evidently can pitch in Coors Field. Especially at a price just above minimum.

m7r23
05-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Acording to espn.com, the white sox are prime to make a deal. It seems like the Sox are the main topic of this post. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1813124

Jjav829
05-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by m7r23
Acording to espn.com, the white sox are prime to make a deal. It seems like the Sox are the main topic of this post. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1813124

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

Gammons is always quick to praise KW. You'd think Kenny was the Red Sox GM...

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Joe Crede......Yikes, he really better start to pick it up.

Iguana775
05-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by m7r23
Acording to espn.com, the white sox are prime to make a deal. It seems like the Sox are the main topic of this post. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1813124

News and notes


Perhaps the most surprising element in the AL Central is the fact that the White Sox starters are among the top three staffs in the league -- despite the fact they are 0-8 with their fifth starters. In fact, they haven't had a win out of fifth starter since 2002.


damn, i sure hope KW goes and gets that other starter.

Realist
05-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
I second that. I believe someone from the Southtown wrote about that as a trade as well. Mulder in our rotation would give us the second or third best rotation in the AL. Maggs would be missed, but Mulder would bring a playoff-experienced pitcher to this team.

Even with the DFS (dreaded fifth starter) I think we have the second or third best rotation in the AL. Throw Mulder in there and we have the best rotation in the world.

Mulder
Buehrle
Loaiza
Schoenweis
Garland

Man, that's damn scarey lookin'. We're talkin' 100 win season easy.

kittle42
05-31-2004, 06:21 PM
320K? Then why would the Rockies trade him?