PDA

View Full Version : Shingo an All-Star?

jamteh
05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Do you think if Shingo keeps up his dominating pitching performances that he'll be added to the All-Star team?

I know that, generally speaking, they usually only take closers for the pen, but it seems to me that he deserves to be an All-Star, especially if he keeps his ERA under 2.00 and continues to baffle AL hitters the way he has thus far.

Any thoughts?

WhteSox725
05-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
Do you think if Shingo keeps up his dominating pitching performances that he'll be added to the All-Star team?

I know that, generally speaking, they usually only take closers for the pen, but it seems to me that he deserves to be an All-Star, especially if he keeps his ERA under 2.00 and continues to baffle AL hitters the way he has thus far.

Any thoughts?

Also is his debut performance going to play into people's minds if he is up for a possible All-Star appearance?

BigEdWalsh
05-31-2004, 02:10 PM
He'll never make it, which is a shame. If he was closing games and had a bunch of saves then he might. But just being pretty much a set-up guy he hasn't a chance, despite great stats.

MRKARNO
05-31-2004, 02:11 PM
I think if he can keep this up till July he has a shot. If his ERA is over 2 then probably not. I dont know how many setup men are going to go, but it's going to be impossible for Torre to overlook Francisco Rodriguez unless he implodes. Shingo just doesnt have a lot of innings to prove his worth either, which is a testament to our starting staff.

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 02:14 PM
donnely made it last year. . .but i have a feeling if we already have a lot of allstars which we should -

buehrle, loaiza, uribe, frank, magglio all have a very good shot and we have a lot of other possibilities depending how the rest of the half goes

-then he has really no chance to make it

kittle42
05-31-2004, 02:51 PM
He does not pitch enough to make the all-star team. Donnelly was out there every other day last year.

Brian26
05-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Shingo has an amazing ERA, but that's not enough to make the All-Star team. If they take 11 pitchers, you can guarantee 7 of them will be starters and the other 4 will be big-name closers. There's no room in the All-Star world for middle relievers or set-up men.

Tragg
05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
No

He needs to start or close to make the all star game

OurBitchinMinny
05-31-2004, 07:41 PM
No

Realist
05-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Look at these stats. He's been throwing up a lot of goose eggs (not to mention "Frisbees" :D: ).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?statsId=7255

He probably won't make the team, but he's an all-star in my eyes.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I doubt it. Middle relievers don't have the flashy numbers closers and starters do. Until people respect the hold as much as the save, there will be few relievers in the All-Star Game not big name closers.

patbooyah
05-31-2004, 08:03 PM
but will people ever join his fan club?

StockdaleForVeep
05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by patbooyah
but will people ever join his fan club?

I want nifty shogun outfits if i join.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Um, no.

guillen4life13
05-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Were he a position player he would be a shoe in because the whole of Japan would have voted him onto the team. However... that isn't the case, therefore I don't even know why I posted.

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 11:30 PM
He's an allstar in my mind. He hasn't give up a run since his third outing in early april. He's been absolutely awesome.

jamteh
06-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I agree.

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 12:02 AM
A thought i just had, if given apperances and maybe closers role, if he keeps this up and even drops his era to sub 1, could he pull out rookie of the year?

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 12:04 AM
He doesn't pitch nearly enough innings to be an all-star in his role. Occasionally a middle reliever will make it but it'll be like a Jeff Zimmerman in 99. With 40 or 50 IP and 7 wins with a 2.01 era or something.

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
He doesn't pitch nearly enough innings to be an all-star in his role. Occasionally a middle reliever will make it but it'll be like a Jeff Zimmerman in 99. With 40 or 50 IP and 7 wins with a 2.01 era or something.

If thats yer requirements then hes halfway there already.

He's pitched 20.1 innings, 3 wins no losses with a era of 1.33 which i believe is now the best era for a reliever in the majors

as long as he never pitches in new york again his era is safe

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/4/67/7255.jpg
"Me rookie!"

patbooyah
06-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep

"Me rookie!"

bless your heart for making me laugh like that. :)

batmanZoSo
06-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
If thats yer requirements then hes halfway there already.

He's pitched 20.1 innings, 3 wins no losses with a era of 1.33 which i believe is now the best era for a reliever in the majors

as long as he never pitches in new york again his era is safe

"Me rookie!"

No I would imagine he'd have to have those numbers at All-Star time. Usually only dominant long relievers make it and even that's rare. He's been used a lot as a spot reliever, which has no doubt boosted his stats...like Cotts.

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
No I would imagine he'd have to have those numbers at All-Star time. Usually only dominant long relievers make it and even that's rare. He's been used a lot as a spot reliever, which has no doubt boosted his stats...like Cotts.

Regardless of bein a spot reliever, hes appeared enough to lower his era enough, he's only given up 3 er this year i believe, only one at comiskey. If not win it, he should be honorable mention should he maintain this pace, who else would be in the current running for al roy

34 Inch Stick
06-04-2004, 10:06 AM
He has to do something absolutely eye popping in order to get him in to the public consciousness. I think his best bet would be to continue that scoreless inning streak into the 30's. That's when the media will start to take notice and our new marketing director can make an all star push.