PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis

LASOXFAN
05-31-2004, 12:28 PM
lost in the hoopla of whipping the Angels and climbing into first and Mags's contract is the surprising performance of one Scott Schoeneweis.

I mean, did anyone really think he would be this good?

I went down to Tucson this spring and watched him pitch and despite what everyone was saying about learning a new pitch or two, he looked like CRAP. He was getting SHELLED by even the most mediocre of hitters. I really had very, very low expectations for him, thinking he might pull it together by the second half.

Hats off to you Don Cooper.

This guy's solid and a class act to boot. Willie Harris was interviewed on LA radio after yesterday's game and he said it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, referring to Schoeneweis. And Scott was most polite when speaking about Lackey's struggles...the guy who took his job in Anaheim.

gotta love it...that was sweet revenge yesterday, no matter how much he downplayed it.

WSox8404
05-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey, what ever happened to Shoe's Foes? Just wondering. HaHa.

Baby Fisk
05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Anaheim's bitter FOX commentators seemed to keep reminding themselves that Schoeneweis used to be an Angel. They went through his whole career biography and couldn't say enough great things about him. You go, Scho! :cool:

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
[B]lost in the hoopla of whipping the Angels and climbing into first and Mags's contract is the surprising performance of one Scott Schoeneweis.

I went down to Tucson this spring and watched him pitch and despite what everyone was saying about learning a new pitch or two, he looked like CRAP. He was getting SHELLED by even the most mediocre of hitters. I really had very, very low expectations for him, thinking he might pull it together by the second half.

/B]

wasn't it that he was only using two pitches in spring training so he could learn the cutter?

don cooper is the king of the cutter, eh?

hose
05-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Most people gave Schoenweis about as much of a chance of being a decent starter as they did for Loiaza last year, me included.

DickAllen72
05-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
lost in the hoopla of whipping the Angels and climbing into first and Mags's contract is the surprising performance of one Scott Schoeneweis.

And hats off to Kenny Williams, for picking up Schoeneweis, as well as Harris, as well as Loaiza, as well as Uribe, as well as Shingo, as well as Cotts, as well as ..........

SoxFan76
05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Maybe we should be thanking Coop a little more. For some reason, Nardi didn't seem to have the same effect on pitchers that Coop does.

Navaro's Talent
05-31-2004, 05:42 PM
The Show has been amazing this year. Yes, he does allow a few hits here and there, but the important thing to remember is that those runners barely ever score. He's been getting most people to ground out and has only given up like 3 or 4 home runs this year so far. He's a welcome addition to the starting rotation.

pearso66
06-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Schoe's Foes was folded about the time his 3rd start came around. I remember who ever had the picture up took it down after his 2nd start, and after the 3rd claimed it completely dead. Schoe has been a great suprise to the season. I said this in another thread, but if this is what KW saw when he got him last year, He is an excellent evaluator of talent.

minastirith67
06-01-2004, 03:16 AM
I think the lesson to be learned here is to not put much (if any) stock in spring training. Schoeneweis was obviously trying to learn new stuff which eventually became effective in the regular season where it actually counts.

SSN721
06-01-2004, 05:54 AM
At the end of the day, it is what it is, you have to tip your cap to Shoey and to Coop. :D:

batmanZoSo
06-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
At the end of the day, it is what it is, you have to tip your cap to Shoey and to Coop. :D:

Cooper is the saviour of this team. He helped maked Loaiza what he is, made Schoeneweis what he is and no doubt helped Garland mature and learn how to pitch during his time here. If those three are still their usual crappy selves, we'd have nothing but Buehrle. We wouldn't even be in the race.

mrwag
06-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Do you think there's any chance we could get him to pitch in that 5 hole too???? just wondering...

skottyj242
06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Does anyone remember who started the *Official Support Scott Schoenweiss* thread? Look it up. (It was me). I'll gladly accept all apologies, line forms to the left. And the same people who were bashing Sho were praising Dan "can't throw a baseball for two years" Wright? Where are all of you at now.

ode to veeck
06-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey, what ever happened to Shoe's Foes? Just wondering. HaHa.

We're pleasantly tongue tied in awe of Shoe's performance this year ...