PDA

View Full Version : Not your ordinary #5 thread

CanOfCorn
05-31-2004, 07:13 AM
I may not be remembering correctly, so right me if I'm wrong, but...

I'm wondering if we should give Cotts another shot, since he has pitched effectively (enough) in the bullpen. I think both Buehrle and Garland both started out as starters, moved to the bullpen, and then back into the rotation. Their second time, they pitched significantly better. Obviously, Buehrle caught on a lot more easily than Garland, but still.

It seems like every starter we've tried in the last couple years has been from AAA. When he fails, he's sent back down. I'm wondering if it might be better to give Cotts another shot. Or perhaps throw Diaz in the bullpen to have him face major league hitters.

Of course, this theory can be full of holes. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about September garbage time, which Stumm got last year.

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by CanOfCorn

I'm wondering if we should give Cotts another shot, since he has pitched effectively (enough) in the bullpen.

He certainly has the best stuff in our pen or in the minors. Rather than reference Garland or Beuhrle, I would point to Schoneweis. I see Cotts as being very similar to Shoney, who I feel has been, along with Uribe and Harris, the key to this year.