PDA

View Full Version : the Moronotti strikes again...

inta
05-31-2004, 05:38 AM
2 sox columns in 2 days... this guy must have the hue/saturation on his TV set to "blue"...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay31.html

god i hate to say it, but i agree with him on not trading magglio.

not that it leaves us with many options for a number 5.
KW certainly has his work cut out for him on this...

Kilroy
05-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Of course the Moron is off base on the facts. Isn't there a recent tidbit about the Sox offering Maggs 5 yrs - 70 mil, and Maggs turning it down? The Sox trading Maggs looks completely different if you consider that minor detail.

If Maggs doesn't wanna sign, then he, more than most players should be moved. He has far too much value to risk him walking in the off-season. On the other hand, one would think he's a key part of any playoff run this team hopes to make. Rock, Hard-place, meet Kenny Williams...

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 09:28 AM
I hate to say I agree with the chump, but what he said about Rauch I thought was dead-on.

Handle the matter privately, don't decrease his trade value. You can still send a message to the rest of the organization when you move him. But let's not confuse the issue - I don't believe a message needs to be sent. The Sox are performing admirably and there seems to be a great deal of unity.

Under normal circumstances, you might not be able to get much for Rauch, but you can probably get something. KW made sure that we get nothing.

fuzzy_patters
05-31-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by inta
2 sox columns in 2 days... this guy must have the hue/saturation on his TV set to "blue"...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay31.html

god i hate to say it, but i agree with him on not trading magglio.

not that it leaves us with many options for a number 5.
KW certainly has his work cut out for him on this...

I find it hard to believe that KW would trade Magglio for anything other than a legitimate ace. How would you feel if KW traded him for Randy Johnson?

owensmouth
05-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Perhaps the most interesting line in the entire column was:

Ideally, with Chicago's media pendulum shifting to the South Side and an exciting summer ahead, the Sox would be thinking of ways to add without subtracting.

The Moron has a pretty good grasp of how the sportswriter/editors are looking at the upcoming months. The Cubs are in trouble,what with all their injuries, and the Sox have a higher potential for success, especially if we can continue through the All Star break as we have so far.

The newspapers are beginning to realize that the White Sox may be the team with the more clearly defined road to the playoffs.

If the sCum can get get their collective acts togeather, the only question the sports editors have to answer will be, do you want cake or ice cream? Both sides may be sweet.

SoxFan76
05-31-2004, 11:39 AM
I think everyone needs to sit back and understand what Marrioti is trying to do here. He is reporting the popular thing. Cubs clinched the pennant during Spring Training, so he just talked about the Cubs. Now, everybody is realizing how overrated this team is, and the Sox are in first place. Now he is writing about the Sox. He isn't a Chicago baseball fan, he's a money fan. He is greedy, and wants all the attention. And look where it got him, he's on Around the Horn, unfortunately representing this whole city.

For instance, he NEVER writes about anything positive about the Sox, it's always something about management or contract negotiations. Why doesn't he talk about the team with the most runs scored, and the least runs allowed? Because he's a greedy fool.

kojak
05-31-2004, 12:06 PM
Amen to that!

But we ain't taking the bait from this second-rate cub reporter...

soxtalker
05-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I find it hard to believe that KW would trade Magglio for anything other than a legitimate ace. How would you feel if KW traded him for Randy Johnson?

If I was a fan of the Arizona Diamondbacks (which I'm not), I'd be pretty unhappy about a straight-up trade for Maggs. Being able to rent Maggs for 2/3 of a year won't help the Diamondbacks get back into the race.

Deadguy
05-31-2004, 01:00 PM

Yeah right. You overestimate Magglio's trade value, to a team that isn't even really in the race this season.

No one in Phoenix is going to drool over the prospect of getting to see Magglio play for about 4 months, and then watch him bolt to another team.

On the other hand, getting a chance to see one of the greatest left handed pitchers ever does put people in the seats.

Magglio has the 30th highest adjusted OPS among active players. He has only finished in the top ten in the MVP voting once in his career. BFD.

bartmanisgod
05-31-2004, 01:20 PM

That dosen't make sense Arizona is out of the race so why rent maggs for a few months! A more logical idea would be Maggs to Oakland for Mulder because the A's need a consistant bat to keep in the race with the Angels and oakland can afford to give up a pitcher

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 04:27 PM
A team doesn't trade its best and most popular ballplayer, a man of truly good character who was homegrown in the system and still has five prime years left, because it doesn't want to give him a lucrative payday

That sucks.

First, no one's trading Maggs when we're in a pennant race, so this is just a waste of everyone's time. Second, reports say they offered Maggs 14mm per over five years, which is more than what he's worth. There has been no indication, however, that he's been lowballed in any way.

sti3
06-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Yeah right. You overestimate Magglio's trade value, to a team that isn't even really in the race this season.
Plus Johnson is ancient and will finally go over the cliff fairly soon.

Magglio has the 30th highest adjusted OPS among active players. He has only finished in the top ten in the MVP voting once in his career. BFD.
First you cite a stat, then go with something completely subjective like MVP voting.

Maggs is consistently the top run producer on this team. You tell me who we acquire to replace his output.