PDA

View Full Version : Paulie does a great Barry Bonds...

kojak
05-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Is it just me or has Paul Konerko been drawing a TON of walks in the last couple of weeks? (Actually, I haven't drawn any walks in many years, but that is beside the point)

He seems to really be content with waiting for his pitch and as a result his average has climbed back up and his OPS must be up there as well...

Deadguy
05-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by kojak
Is it just me or has Paul Konerko been drawing a TON of walks in the last couple of weeks? (Actually, I haven't drawn any walks in many years, but that is beside the point)

He seems to really be content with waiting for his pitch and as a result his average has climbed back up and his OPS must be up there as well...

I've been his biggest critic, but if this becomes a trend, then he's a welcome addition to this lineup.

I did however see him throw a hissy fit after drawing a 3rd walk in a game against the Twins at the Metrodome, so I don't really know what to make of his recent ability to get on base at a decent clip.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Nobodies going to pitch to him with the likes of Crede, Rowand, Timo and Gload after him. It might be wise to switch him with Jose so that he actually has some protection

gosox41
05-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by kojak

I'm all for PK taking his walks. OBP is key.

Bob

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm all for PK taking his walks. OBP is key.

Bob

Pauly's got a .383 obp. That's very good, better than Maggs by .013. He's also walked 26 times and struck out 23 times. His power numbers are good too, he's on pace for close to 30 and 100.

jeremyb1
05-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Paully has been awesome this season. I'm really pleased.

batmanZoSo
05-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

If he keeps doing what he's doing, he's keepable. Even for 8 million, it's overpaying, but what are you gonna do. I've seen worse albatross contracts in my day.

lowesox
05-31-2004, 05:19 PM

I second that.

He really does deserve a lot more respect than what he's been given by a lot of sox fans.

Jjav829
05-31-2004, 05:52 PM
It's nice to see Paulie walking a bit more. I think his recent struggles have put it in his mind that he has to be more selective. He's tied for the team lead in HR's and RBI. He is 2nd on the team in walks, 3rd in OBP and 4th in OPS. It seems like he is finally becoming less of a head case which can only mean more good at-bats for him.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 05:58 PM

Why? The way I see it, there are two things that can come out of Konerko playing well, both of them good:

1. Konerko has a productive season on the South Side, and helps the Sox reach the playoffs.

2. Konerko's improvement over last season draws interest from other teams, and the Sox trade him in order to get the pitching help that they need. And, on top of that, with Konerko gone, Frank Thomas moves back to his best position, first base.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-31-2004, 07:24 PM
There is one negative to Paulie getting on base more ... and that is he is getting on base more. His lack of wheels seem to plug things up.

He has been doing a great job though, and it is nice to see.

Hopefully with Dransfeldt up for the next few weeks, he will be lifted for a runner in the late innings more.

SoxFan76
05-31-2004, 09:43 PM
I think we shouldn't base his success off of his all-star year. I personally don't expect another .300 average, although it COULD happen, I wouldn't consider it a bad year if PK finishes with a .275-.290 average.

CubKilla
05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
And, on top of that, with Konerko gone, Frank Thomas moves back to his best position, first base.

And only position. Will Frank want to play first base everyday? Is his fragile psyche up to the probable daily sniping regarding his defense (or lack there of)?

Deadguy
06-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
And only position. Will Frank want to play first base everyday? Is his fragile psyche up to the probable daily sniping regarding his defense (or lack there of)?

He's not even speaking to the media anymore, so why would he care?

BTW, Konerko is doing a solid job anyways. Right now, 1B in the AL is so weak, Konerko, Tino Martinez, and Ken Harvey are actually three of the better ones out there. John Olerud and Palmeiro are past their prime, Giambi's on the DL, Delgado's way off from last year, Sweeney is overrated and playing more and more DH, and the rest in the league are terrible offensively (Doug M., Erstad, Millar, Broussard, Pena, Teixera, etc.)

I've been Konerko's harshest critic, but if he can keep up the .383 OBP along with his homeruns and RBIs, he's a definite asset to this team, even at his price tag. Although there's still a part of me that envisions him tanking it for an entire month, and hitting below .200 with no power, and hopes we get rid of him while someone may have interest.

idseer
06-01-2004, 12:33 PM
suddenly people see konerko is NOT a total waste of money.
i made this assertion last off season a took a TON of grief for it.
i'm glad to see him doing well, tho i agree with RK that with his value up right now i'd seriously consider moving him.

Mohoney
06-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Nobodies going to pitch to him with the likes of Crede, Rowand, Timo and Gload after him. It might be wise to switch him with Jose so that he actually has some protection

Great idea, but I think we would need to move Carlos Lee to #2 and add another lefty bat to hit #5 to break up the monotony.

Maybe Jeromy Burnitz could be had for the right price (I would be willing to give up Rowand and two A-ball pitching prospects, then trade Wunsch to get two A-ball prospects back)? Will Colorado be ready to give up this early in a weak NL West?

If we could get Burnitz:

1. Harris/Uribe
2. Lee
3. Maggs
4. Frank
5. Burnitz
6. Konerko
7. Valentin/Uribe
8. Crede/Uribe
9. Olivo/Alomar, Jr.

On days where Willie plays 2nd and Valentin plays SS, we would then have a respectable 3 lefty bats in the lineup against righty pitching, providing more balance and giving Konerko a legitimate power threat to protect him. Against lefties, Valentin can sit, and Uribe can bat 7th and protect Paulie.

The damage to our farm system would be neutralized by moving Wunsch, a guy we have no plans on using anyway. We would then still have enough on the farm to get a decent starter at the deadline.

hold2dibber
06-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
Great idea, but I think we would need to move Carlos Lee to #2 and add another lefty bat to hit #5 to break up the monotony.

Maybe Jeromy Burnitz could be had for the right price (I would be willing to give up Rowand and two A-ball pitching prospects, then trade Wunsch to get two A-ball prospects back)? Will Colorado be ready to give up this early in a weak NL West?

If we could get Burnitz:

1. Harris/Uribe
2. Lee
3. Maggs
4. Frank
5. Burnitz
6. Konerko
7. Valentin/Uribe
8. Crede/Uribe
9. Olivo/Alomar, Jr.

On days where Willie plays 2nd and Valentin plays SS, we would then have a respectable 3 lefty bats in the lineup against righty pitching, providing more balance and giving Konerko a legitimate power threat to protect him. Against lefties, Valentin can sit, and Uribe can bat 7th and protect Paulie.

The damage to our farm system would be neutralized by moving Wunsch, a guy we have no plans on using anyway. We would then still have enough on the farm to get a decent starter at the deadline.

Some one else floated the idea of acquiring Burnitz a few weeks ago on this board - and someone showed what a lousy idea it was based upon Burnitz's horrific non-Coors numbers this year and his overall performance the last few years. Also, I don't think he's capable of playing an adequate CF (he's a corner outfielder).