PDA

View Full Version : Who right now would fit In best for our #5

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I know there are alot of names being thrown around, but who do you honestly think out of the available pitchers out there would best fit our rotation?

WinningUgly!
05-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by twinsuck1
I know there are alot of names being thrown around, but who do you honestly think out of the available pitchers out there would best fit our rotation?

Freddy Garcia

CanOfCorn
05-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I'll do it. I have a hell of a changeup.

Problem is, it's also my fastball.

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 09:04 PM
I agree, I think we need a good offspeed pitcher. If Sparks were available would you have gone after him? Just asking, he would probably be cheap and he knows our division well.......

Jjav829
05-30-2004, 09:04 PM

I don't know that there are many choices. I think there is a consensus here that we need a guy who is more of a 2/3 type pitcher rather than a #5. Freddy Garcia would be a nice addition and hopefully his relationship with Ozzie and Joey would help sway him to re-sign here after the season. Livan Hernandez would be a nice fit as well. He's battled tested having appeared in 2 World Series though the question is how would he adjust to the American League. I'd like either of them. I still like Kris Benson's stuff. I think Cooper could do a nice job helping to maximize Benson's ability. I would rather have one of those three than a true #5 such as Paul Abbott.

beckett21
05-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Freddy Garcia

Originally posted by Jjav829

I don't know that there are many choices. I think there is a consensus here that we need a guy who is more of a 2/3 type pitcher rather than a #5. Freddy Garcia would be a nice addition and hopefully his relationship with Ozzie and Joey would help sway him to re-sign here after the season. Livan Hernandez would be a nice fit as well. He's battled tested having appeared in 2 World Series though the question is how would he adjust to the American League. I'd like either of them. I still like Kris Benson's stuff. I think Cooper could do a nice job helping to maximize Benson's ability. I would rather have one of those three than a true #5 such as Paul Abbott.

I'm a Freddy Garcia guy myself, but I could see Livan or Benson making a significant contribution as well if called upon.

In that order I would say: 1)Garcia; 2)Hernandez; 3)Benson.

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 09:10 PM
I hear alot of talk about Randy Johnson. I for one do not want him on the southside, I know they are going to want alot for this guy and I don't think It would be worth it......

beckett21
05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
I hear alot of talk about Randy Johnson. I for one do not want him on the southside, I know they are going to want alot for this guy and I don't think It would be worth it......

Don't lose any sleep over it....it isn't going to happen in this lifetime.

CubKilla
05-30-2004, 09:43 PM
I agree, I think we need a good offspeed pitcher. If Sparks were available would you have gone after him? Just asking, he would probably be cheap and he knows our division well.......

:reinsy

"I like the way you think!"

ChiSox7
05-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I was all for Garcia until I looked at his road splits. He is unhittable at safeco and mediocre on the road. So far this season, Garcia is only 1-2 with a 4.15 ERA away from safeco. Considering where we play, I'm not sure getting Garcia would be worth what we would have to pay.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Livan or Freddy works pretty well for me.

Joe Kennedy if we wanted to be cheap and we could pry him from the Rockies. He's been awesome this year, but not a good bet for the long run.

nitetrain8601
05-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Freddy Garcia

doublem23
05-30-2004, 10:42 PM

They know him well, too.

Steve Sparks' career stats (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5327/splits?year=career&type=Pitching). Pass.

Daver
05-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Can the Sox look into getting Rocky Biddle back from the Expos?

I'd plug him back into the fifth starter spot in a heartbeat.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Can the Sox look into getting Rocky Biddle back from the Expos?

I'd plug him back into the fifth starter spot in a heartbeat.

Even with his 7.20 ERA as a reliever in Montreal?

Daver
05-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Even with his 7.20 ERA as a reliever in Montreal?

Yep.

He is a starter, not a reliever, and he at one time had the best fastball on the Sox staff. If he came back right now, he would still have the best fastball on the Sox staff.

A. Cavatica
05-30-2004, 11:08 PM
It's about time Jon Rauch got his shot.

(Shuffles back into cave)

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Yep.

He is a starter, not a reliever, and he at one time had the best fastball on the Sox staff. If he came back right now, he would still have the best fastball on the Sox staff.

Well I dont think the fan base would be too happy about that, but it might be a smart idea, but we cant take the risk

oheeoh...magglio
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
*Sigh*

If only the Marlins weren't good, Carl Pavano would be the perfect guy to deal for IMO.

Also, I would like Matt Morris except St. Louis wouldn't deal him until they are out of it (if they are out of it) around the deadline, and we can't wait that long to deal for another starter.

Fungo
05-31-2004, 08:23 AM
I know Hawk made mention of the Angels possibly "showcasing" Ramon Ortiz on yesterday's broadcast. IIRC, the Angels do not have one left-handed reliever in their bullpen. Apparently Kelly Wunsch is in the doghouse of somebody's in the White Sox organization.

lths06
05-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Anybody remember Kip Wells? I wouldn't mind a trade sending him to the southside again...

misty60481
05-31-2004, 09:54 AM
If we were to pick up a Garcia type and he didnt start until middle of June wouldnt he be rusty?? I dont think a couple of short relief appearences make up for a 6 or 7 inning start, and if we start a 5 man rotation what will extra day do with our starters they are doing so good on 4 man rotation I hate to mess up the chemistry,, maybe we should try Cotts again before we make a trade. We are going to have to give up something of value to get a good # 5 starter

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by lths06
Anybody remember Kip Wells? I wouldn't mind a trade sending him to the southside again...

Problem is, Kip Wells is untouchable according to the GM quoted in the Pittsburgh newspapers. He's a few years away from FA. Untouchable means expensive.

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Fungo
I know Hawk made mention of the Angels possibly "showcasing" Ramon Ortiz on yesterday's broadcast. IIRC, the Angels do not have one left-handed reliever in their bullpen. Apparently Kelly Wunsch is in the doghouse of somebody's in the White Sox organization.

Kelly Wunsch is a "LOOGY". He is useful if you base your pitching staff philosophy on waves of middle relievers pitching to 1 to 2 batters apiece, a la Tony LaRussa. Ozzie, so far, rarely uses a reliever for one batter. Wunsch's average relief appearance for his entire career is a hair over 3 batters. He's also the #3 lefty in the pen for the Sox. He's somewhat injury-prone. He's not in the doghouse, he's been marginalized because Dr. Malpractice isn't mis-managing the team any more.

Ortiz worries me. He has been getting steadily worse for two years, despite nothing obviously wrong. Bad K/BB ratio. A low strikeout flyball pitcher in USCF? No, thank you.

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by lths06

except that KW has verbally trashed him saying he can't imagine him as a sox pitcher

ChiSox7
05-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
except that KW has verbally trashed him saying he can't imagine him as a sox pitcher

I can't either. He doesn't have the mental ability to play on the southside where he is in contention in the AL with no pitcher to bail him out. No thanks.

WSox8404
05-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
I was all for Garcia until I looked at his road splits. He is unhittable at safeco and mediocre on the road. So far this season, Garcia is only 1-2 with a 4.15 ERA away from safeco. Considering where we play, I'm not sure getting Garcia would be worth what we would have to pay.

Hmmm.....1-2 with a 4.15 compared to 0-7 with a 9.7something. I like that change of pace.

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Hmmm.....1-2 with a 4.15 compared to 0-7 with a 9.7something. I like that change of pace.

maybe so, but then why not trade less for randy wolf or ted lilly or jeff d'amico anyone who can go .333 winning pct with a 4. something era?

habibharu
05-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
maybe so, but then why not trade less for randy wolf or ted lilly or jeff d'amico anyone who can go .333 winning pct with a 4. something era? no way in hell we can get wolf. the phils are gonna contend in the NL! why would they trade wolf?

fquaye149
05-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
no way in hell we can get wolf. the phils are gonna contend in the NL! why would they trade wolf?

that's not the point. 1-2 4.25 era would be an improvement for the 5th starter spot, but there are plenty of starters who can put up those numbers who would cost less than garcia

LASOXFAN
05-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by CanOfCorn
I'll do it. I have a hell of a changeup.

Problem is, it's also my fastball.

LMAO! :)