PDA

View Full Version : Best in the American League - statistically, at least

elrod
05-30-2004, 08:22 PM
As a team the White Sox are the best overall offensive and defensive team in the American League. Hitting is number one and pitching is number three. Boston's pitching is number one and hitting is number four. Our record is fourth best - not bad - but our hitting and pitching is top notch.

OPS - onbase+slugging - the White Sox lead Major League Baseball with .820. OPS is the most important statistic for gauging run production. As for pitching, the White Sox team ERA is third in the AL at 4.03 ERA, behind Boston (3.72 ERA) and Oakland (3.87 ERA).

Not bad. Not bad at all.
Hitting by OPS (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teambat&league=al&sortColumn=OPS&season=2&year=2004&split=0)
Pitching by ERA (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teampit&league=al&season=2&year=2004)

nasox
05-30-2004, 09:34 PM
I'll :gulp: to that. Oh wait, I already did. I guess I'll have to do it again. :gulp:

MJL_Sox_Fan
05-30-2004, 10:16 PM
They are not the best defensive team in the AL. They have 37 errors. Oakland and Texas lead the AL with only 25 errors. In terms of unearned runs, the Sox have given up 16 and Seattle leads with 11.

doublem23
05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by MJL_Sox_Fan
They are not the best defensive team in the AL. They have 37 errors. Oakland and Texas lead the AL with only 25 errors. In terms of unearned runs, the Sox have given up 16 and Seattle leads with 11.

Oh no, here comes the errors debate.

They have looked better defensively than they have in the past years. This team really only needs to be average at defense, they pick up for it at the plate.

elrod
05-30-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm not concerned about fielding with this club. If errors are your gauge then the Twins have a terrible fielding team - they have more errors than the Sox.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Oh no, here comes the errors debate.

They have looked better defensively than they have in the past years. This team really only needs to be average at defense, they pick up for it at the plate.

I think we're above average defensively, "good" in the infield. If we replaced Lee with Reed and got a good center fielder we'd be in the top 5 in the game. The only weak spot would be Konerko and he's adequate.

MJL_Sox_Fan
05-30-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to start a debate on errors. I actually think the Sox unearned run total (only 16 easily top 5 in AL) shows that they have improved and they are average, at least.