PDA

View Full Version : Maybe He Doesn't Want To Come Back After All

SEALgep
05-30-2004, 06:27 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash303824926may30,0,1740892.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Maggs turns down 5 years at $70 million. Don't know the specifics of the deal, but even if it were partly deferred, it seems rather unrefreshing that he wouldn't want to take it.

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, we've gone what, 4-1 without him?

I don't think that kind of Maggless clip would hold up over next season, though, so this is defintately our last chance.

ChiSox7
05-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Don't let the door hit you....you greedy #*(#(*$. THATS WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY WANTED. UNREAL. If this is true, you can run off to wherever, cause you sure as hell aren't worth more than 14 mil a year.

soltrain21
05-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Trade him right now for pitching, we are fine without him...

SEALgep
05-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Well, we've gone what, 4-1 without him?

I don't think that kind of Maggless clip would hold up over next season, though, so this is defintately our last chance. I don't see how we can't win without him if we spend the money well that we aren't giving him.

ChiSox7
05-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I don't see how we can't win without him if we spend the money well that we aren't giving him.

Seriously. You can get a find two really good players for 14 million a year. This is unreal. What a greedy ballplayer. I don't even want to know if I can root for him anymore.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Honestly if he turned that down he can walk. I dont know if it makes sense to trade him, but if he turned down 14 mil over 5 years he can go wherever the hell he wants. He isn't worth 14 mil a year anyways. I like Maggs and the consistancy he brings. He's not worth 14 if Vlad was worth 14 and Beltran might be worth 15. He is being greedy if he rejects that kind of money. He rejected the same contract that Vlad got! What is he thinking? What a freakin joke. This really lessens my opinion of Ordonez. Trade him this instant for an outifelder and a no. 5.

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 06:45 PM
I don't see how we can't win without him if we spend the money well that we aren't giving him.

I wouldn't get my hopes up -- are there any players that are FA's next year that could be signed that cheaply?

Daver
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up -- are there any players that are FA's next year that could be signed that cheaply?

In case you haven't noticed, the trend in the FA market is payroll numbers are going down, not up.

South Side
05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Wow, that is extremely disheartening. I am the biggest Maggs fan but I mean, come on? How much money does one person really need??? Talk about loyalty to your team...

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Daver
In case you haven't noticed, the trend in the FA market is payroll numbers are going down, not up.

Who's going to be potentially available? I'd like to see a list.

Nard
05-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Who needs him? Last I checked we're doing fine without him... perfect when you forget about the 5th starter situation.

I agree. Might as well trade his money-grubbing ass right now for something useful if he ain't gonna be here next year no matter how much we wanna waste on him.

He's not exactly doing outstanding work this season... certainly nowhere near what we're paying him for.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:57 PM

I believe all of the following are FAs after this year:

Morris
Pavano
Millwood
Odalis Perez
Freddy Garcia
Lowe
Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Carlos Beltran
Varitek

Lots of pitching, not a lot of hitting, but that's what we would probably need unless we get Garcia and sign him longterm.

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Morris
Pavano
Millwood
Odalis Perez
Freddy Garcia
Lowe
Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Carlos Beltran
Varitek

Lots of pitching, not a lot of hitting, but that's what we would probably need unless we get Garcia and sign him longterm.

Morris and Garcia and maybe even Odalis we could get, but I think we'll see the Expos in the World Series before we see any of the other guys there on the Sox.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 07:05 PM
I think Pedro could be had for that kind of money. The Red Sox look unlikely to sign him and there are lots of concerns about his arm, but they might be overblown. And besides, this is a guy who hasnt posted an ERA over 3 since 1996. He hasnt posted an ERA over 2.39 since 1998. THat's ridiculous! Maggs or Pedro? Pedro in a heartbeat. Give him 5 years 70 mil too or 3 years 45-48 Mil if they must because of insurance reasons. It's a bit riskier, but also could pay MUCH higher dividends for this team. I dont know if he would want to come here unless we do something in october this year, but it would be the best thing if we got him.

ChiSox7
05-30-2004, 07:08 PM
i Don't care who we replace him with, but if all this is true I don't want him on my team. He said he would be greatful for a contract like Vlad's and we offer him the same thing. THe he says no. Unreal. I'd rather have Reed out there than a guy who is so greedy and selfish. I can think of a lot of things to spend 14 million a year on. just unreal.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 07:11 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spflash303824926may30,0,1740892.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Maggs turns down 5 years at $70 million. Don't know the specifics of the deal, but even if it were partly deferred, it seems rather unrefreshing that he wouldn't want to take it.

I can't defend him if he really turned that down. But we can't base everything on one sentence in an out-of-town article. If it's in fact true, then I'll pack his bags for him. He's not worth more than Guerrero, come on. See ya. I'd be happy to keep him with that offer listed above, but there's not a soul other than him who thinks that's not a fair deal.

I won't sweat it as long as we get rid of Lee and replace him with a left handed hitter who can field a lot better and get an ace starter. With the right moves it won't hurt us, but who here thinks they WILL go out and fill the necessary holes if Maggs leaves? That's what worries me. We can win without Maggs, but not if we're still counting on Lee, Valentin and company to complement Frank in the lineup.

If Maggs really wants to leave, fine. But let's spend money to revamp this team. I want more speed, great defense and pitching. If JR just uses the 14 million to break even with various pay raises I'll be beyond pissed.

illiniwhitesox
05-30-2004, 07:19 PM
If he really did turn it down, it will be in tomorrow's paper. Even the Cubune would not ignore that, especially considering it is somewhat of a negative story..

I'm not ready to jump on Mags for being greedy yet. I'll believe the story when it is written in Chicago.

Anyways, KW is on WGN sports tonight. I'll be curious if this comes up. I imagine he will have some things to say about the Rauch getaway.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Replacing Maggs won't be as easy as some of you might think. However it is true the money it would take to sign him would go a long way to filling holes the Sox currently suffer.

Rightfielders are easier to find than centerfielders. For example, the FOC will be pleased to know Rowand's useful life as a major league ballplayer would be extended if Maggs were to wind up playing for another team besides the Sox. Rowand has always been better-suited as a corner fielder (though debatably a fourth fielder, not an everyday one).

Magg's RBI production shouldn't be too hard to replace. As long as Frank is around, somebody on the Sox offense will benefit from all the scoring opportunities Frank opens up for the hitters around him. Last I checked the chairman has Frank signed real cheap, making him a double-bargain for the Sox.

In summary, losing Maggs wouldn't be bad if we could use the savings to sign or trade for a centerfielder/leadoff man type ballplayer, and some help on the pitching staff, too.

Personally, I think Maggs is less valuable to the Sox than he is to other ballclubs. He is the same sort of hitter as Lee and Konerko, making him even more expendable to a team like the Sox that needs to learn to be less aggressive at the plate and make contact in game situations.

doublem23
05-30-2004, 07:24 PM
We're in first place, and just took 4 of 6 from some of the better teams in the league. Let's finish this year out and see where we are before we start to speculate about the off-season. I do remember there being a hold-up a while ago, where Maggs turned down a 5-year deal because he wanted six years guaranteed. Until his agent comes public and says, "There is no way Magglio will be on the Sox in '05, I'll remain somewhat optimistic."

Jjav829
05-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Cool. Glad to hear it is newsday reporting this. That means our chances of resigning Maggs just went up.

nitetrain8601
05-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Cool. Glad to hear it is newsday reporting this. That means our chances of resigning Maggs just went up.

Haha, I hope so. If he doesn't want to resign what about trading him for Manny Ramirez?

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by nitetrain8601
Haha, I hope so. If he doesn't want to resign what about trading him for Manny Ramirez?

If we really wanted Manny we coulda had him, as could any team in the major leagues when he was put on waivers before the season started. Nobody wants that albatross contract.

Tragg
05-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Daver

True but apparently Maggs hasn't gotten the message
14mill per is premium money

Koch Master
05-30-2004, 07:45 PM
If Maggs doens't want 14 mil a year, he can take a hike! I'm starting up the EOM coalition. (Enemy of Maggs). Who's with me? :angry:

elrod
05-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Are you basing this on the one line in New York Newsday or do you have an independent source that Maggs turned down $14 mil? I'd wait for the Chicago media to confirm the story if it's true. Lord knows the Cubune would love to print news that angers Sox fans.

duke of dorwood
05-30-2004, 07:47 PM
I bet he signs for less than that with another team. We gotta see what our young outfielders can do-and THAT MEANS-stop playing an infielder, Harris in CF

voodoochile
05-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Koch Master
If Maggs doens't want 14 mil a year, he can take a hike! I'm starting up the EOM coalition. (Enemy of Maggs). Who's with me? :angry:

Not me and personally, I think you are completely nuts, but welcome aboard anyway... :?:

beckett21
05-30-2004, 07:52 PM

Morris
Pavano
Millwood
Odalis Perez
Freddy Garcia
Lowe
Garciaparra
Pedro Martinez
Carlos Beltran
Varitek

Just off the top of my head you can add Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera and Troy Glaus to that list. I believe Tim Hudson is another one, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the FOBB could help me out on that one.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
Just off the top of my head you can add Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera and Troy Glaus to that list. I believe Tim Hudson is another one, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the FOBB could help me out on that one.

Good call on those three. None of the big three are FAs till after 2005.

beckett21
05-30-2004, 08:04 PM

Gotcha. I was just going to look that one up, wasn't sure.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 08:10 PM
The White Sox are 13-5 I believe when Maggs is out of the lineup since 2002. I know that's a small sample size attributable to his usual good health, but that's a pretty good record when he doesnt play. His absence from this team would not mean all that much in terms of what we could do with the offense and with the money we could spend on other players or keeping the players we have now (aka Esteban Loaiza, Jose Valentin and Schoeneweis), or acquire via trade (Freddy Garcia?).

SEALgep
05-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Just off the top of my head you can add Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera and Troy Glaus to that list. I believe Tim Hudson is another one, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the FOBB could help me out on that one. I like Crede, but could you imagine Troy Glaus on the Sox. Whew, that would be something, if he could remain healthy of course. I don't know if he is thought to be more of a DH option though, which obviously wouldn't fit for our team.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 09:20 PM
I like Crede, but could you imagine Troy Glaus on the Sox. Whew, that would be something, if he could remain healthy of course. I don't know if he is thought to be more of a DH option though, which obviously wouldn't fit for our team.

Glaus is one of KW's players he'd love to acquire. Before 2003, he'd been relatively healthy. Low average, fairly patient, strikes out a lot now, high power, 27 years old now. Maybe this injury will lower his FA value. I doubt after this year that he will continue to have injury problems like the past 2 years. He would be an excellent fit on this team. And there's always the chance that he could become one of the best hitters in baseball. With that level of patience and power, anything is possible. The Angels wont resign him because they have prospect Dallas McPherson, so he'd be free for us to pursue (along with all other 29 teams)

beckett21
05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Glaus is one of KW's players he'd love to acquire. Before 2003, he'd been relatively healthy. Low average, fairly patient, strikes out a lot now, high power, 27 years old now. Maybe this injury will lower his FA value. I doubt after this year that he will continue to have injury problems like the past 2 years. He would be an excellent fit on this team. And there's always the chance that he could become one of the best hitters in baseball. With that level of patience and power, anything is possible. The Angels wont resign him because they have prospect Dallas McPherson, so he'd be free for us to pursue (along with all other 29 teams)

The Angels most definitely won't be re-signing him from everything I read. They are steamed that he (1) didn't have shoulder surgery in the offseason; and (2) didn't just play out the rest of this season as DH/possibly 1B and wait until the coming offseason for his surgery. At least those are the rumblings I have gathered from various publications, for whatever that's worth.

He really looked to be locked in this past season. He had laser eye surgery in the offseason, and it really seemed to make a difference in his ability to see the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Sox uniform next season. He's a high-risk, high-reward guy, but I think he would be worth the risk assuming his shoulder surgery is a success. It certainly wasn't affecting his swing.

Add Carlos Delgado to the FA list as well, though he would most likely be priced out of range and we really have no place for him right now anyway.

SEALgep
05-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Glaus is one of KW's players he'd love to acquire. Before 2003, he'd been relatively healthy. Low average, fairly patient, strikes out a lot now, high power, 27 years old now. Maybe this injury will lower his FA value. I doubt after this year that he will continue to have injury problems like the past 2 years. He would be an excellent fit on this team. And there's always the chance that he could become one of the best hitters in baseball. With that level of patience and power, anything is possible. The Angels wont resign him because they have prospect Dallas McPherson, so he'd be free for us to pursue (along with all other 29 teams) There's a chance they would resign Glaus as their DH, but hopefully not. If he can stay healthy, I have no doubt he will be at the top of his game when returning. This year, after his eye surgery, he was very impressive.

CubKilla
05-30-2004, 09:34 PM
*****!!!!!

Everyone here is jumping on Maggs based on one NY-based article. If JR is offering Maggs 5 yrs/$14 million per I can see the reason for the outrage. Knowing JR, I'll bet my friggin' house that if JR offered Maggs a 5 yr/$70 million contract it is chock full of incentives, deferments, and "Diminished Skills" clauses.

Have you forgot who owns this team?????

*****!!!!! :) :) :)

PaulDrake
05-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
*****!!!!!

Everyone here is jumping on Maggs based on one NY-based article. If JR is offering Maggs 5 yrs/$14 million per I can see the reason for the outrage. Knowing JR, I'll bet my friggin' house that if JR offered Maggs a 5 yr/$70 million contract it is chock full of incentives, deferments, and "Diminished Skills" clauses.

*****!!!!! :) :) :) I second that.

nasox
05-30-2004, 09:48 PM
*****!!!!!

Was just about to say that. And I third that.

inta
05-30-2004, 09:59 PM
***?

misty60481
05-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Lets hear the full story before we judge Maggs

OEO Magglio
05-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
Lets hear the full story before we judge Maggs
I agree but I'm still not worried about losing maggs, because I think he's replaceable. I would definitely love to have maggs back but with Reed being ready for next year and Borchard too he's very replaceable. If the sox trade for Garcia I'd much rather them use 14 mill to get ELO and Garcia signed then to try and resign maggs.

elrod
05-30-2004, 10:26 PM
As a Mets AND White Sox fan I have to admit a conflict of interest here. But trading Magglio for Peterson, Kazmir and David Wright wouldn't be a bad trade at all. David Wright is one of the best third-basemen in the minors, period. Peterson and Kazmir are both top prospects as well. Peterson has Munoz numbers at AA - 42Ks and 10BBs with a 2.35ERA and 3-0 record. Last year Kazmir had 105Ks and 28BBs with a 2.36ERA at Low-A Capital City. He's considered the biggest pitching prospect since Gooden.

Now the Mets have the same problem as the White Sox concerning farm reputation. Lots of Mets players have turned up duds so far - especially pitchers (see Heilman, Yates and Seo). So Peterson and Kazmir might not be solid gains. But those guys would be absolute studs for the White Sox. Problem is: I don't see the Mets doing that trade. It would be like the Sox trading Reed, Anderson and Munoz for Garcia. Not worth it. Maybe we could throw Rauch in with Magglio. Who knows? Either way, that's one of the few Magglio trades that would really benefit the White Sox.

inta
05-30-2004, 10:46 PM
I can't believe people are saying maggs is replaceable....

you really think our offense will keep this up?
maggs is the ONLY consistent guy on this team offensively. i thank the baseball gods everyday that he's on our team.

if you're going by the last 5 games as an indicator of a maggs-less sox team... you're on drugs.

Lee will fall asleep sooner than later.
konerko is a joke.
thomas will strain his groin when he starts crying about his contract.
valentine is dead.

I definitely don't think maggs is worth more than WHAT HE WAS ASKING. but he will be sorely missed as our offense falls apart...

lets not get delusions of grandeur while our sox go through one of their patented "once a year hot streaks"....

Lip Man 1
05-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I communicated with Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News tonight. He said it's his understanding that the Maggs situation is NOT dead but neither is it making any progress.

For what it's worth.

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by inta

valentine is dead.

That sucks.

doublem23
05-30-2004, 10:51 PM

maggs is the ONLY consistent guy on this team offensively. i thank the baseball gods everyday that he's on our team.

if you're going by the last 5 games as an indicator of a maggs-less sox team... you're on drugs.

konerko is a joke.
valentine is dead.

I definitely don't think maggs is worth more than WHAT HE WAS ASKING. but he will be sorely missed as our offense falls apart...

lets not get delusions of grandeur while our sox go through one of their patented "once a year hot streaks"....

Thanks for your input, Magglio.

voodoochile
05-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Thanks for your input, Magglio.

I thought inta was Billy Koch :?:

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Shared account on a clubhouse computer?

Deadguy
05-30-2004, 11:00 PM
To hell with Magglio. He wants Vladimir Guerrero money, despite the fact that he has never had an OPS in any given year higher than Guerrero's career OPS.

He has finished in the top ten in the MVP voting exactly once in his career. He has only finished in the top ten in the league in OPS twice. This is not the resume of someone who warrants a 70 million dollar contract. It's obvious that Magglio's ego has priced him out of our budget, so let him go off to San Diego or Los Angeles.

TornLabrum
05-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Isn't Newsday the paper that had Maddux signing with the Yankees just days before he signed with the Cubs?

At any rate, when it comes from one writer who is not from the city the player is in, I put about as much as much stock in it as I do sightings of Bigfoot or claims of the amazing accuracy of predictions by Nostradamus--none whatsoever.

On the other hand, if there is something to the story, then I'd say that we need to look at the details. It wasn't until a while after Colon left the Sox that we learned that a sizable portion of the salary the Sox offered was deferred.

I'll tell you what. If I have my choice between getting it all now or waiting years for it to be paid to me, I go with whoever gives it to me as I earn it. As they say, "A bird in the hand...."

kittle42
05-30-2004, 11:23 PM
valentine is dead.

Billy Ray Valentine?

rahulsekhar
05-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Billy Ray Valentine?

Impossible - the quart o'blood technique never fails!

inta
05-30-2004, 11:59 PM

LMAO!

well done.

Kuzman
05-31-2004, 12:27 AM
*insert Hawkism here*

He Gone!

nasox
05-31-2004, 12:55 AM
:threadsucks

Come on, people! Give me a more reliable source from WITHIN CHICAGO and then we'll talk. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying don't start hiring hitmen to shoot him until we know for sure that this is true. Who knows, it could be another pipedream pink story published by a paper who needs all the attention it gets. If we find that this is true, fire away.

pinwheels3530
05-31-2004, 06:45 AM
We're in first place, and just took 4 of 6 from some of the better teams in the league. Let's finish this year out and see where we are before we start to speculate about the off-season. I do remember there being a hold-up a while ago, where Maggs turned down a 5-year deal because he wanted six years guaranteed. Until his agent comes public and says, "There is no way Magglio will be on the Sox in '05, I'll remain somewhat optimistic."

I am with you!

pinwheels3530
05-31-2004, 06:53 AM
*****!!!!!

Great point!!

pinwheels3530
05-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I communicated with Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News tonight. He said it's his understanding that the Maggs situation is NOT dead but neither is it making any progress.

For what it's worth.

Lip

AHHH.... the voice of reason :cool:

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Isn't Newsday
On the other hand, if there is something to the story, then I'd say that we need to look at the details. It wasn't until a while after Colon left the Sox that we learned that a sizable portion of the salary the Sox offered was deferred.

I'll tell you what. If I have my choice between getting it all now or waiting years for it to be paid to me, I go with whoever gives it to me as I earn it. As they say, "A bird in the hand...." It doesn't matter if part of the money is deferred, that's a lot of money for the guy anyhow. Plus, IMO, it shows we were willing to keep him around, but he isn't cooperating very well. For as much as he said he wanted to stay, he certainly isn't making much of an effort. Even if 25% was deferred, it's not as if he wouldn't get the money, which he already has a lot of. In my mind, we've gone above and beyond with an offer like that, and if he is going to refuse it, then I have to say, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Oh by the way, you want arbitration? No, okay, thanks for the picks, take care now.

soxtalker
05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
I'd say that the actual details are pretty important. The press reports usually give the total dollar figure, but I'd be willing to bet that the agent and club both calculate present value of any deferred money. (Neither the club, nor the player in any of these sorts of negotiations seem to be interested in discussing that figure.) Then there are option clauses, which can probably take on many forms to mitigate the (perceived) risks to either side. I'd imagine that those can get very complicated and aren't always that easy to communicate.

SOXSINCE'70
05-31-2004, 10:02 AM
If(and I do mean if) this story is true,then my attitude is "don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out". A team without Maggs will be a sad sight,but the money that would have paid him can now be spent on something stupid like,i don't know,PITCHING !!
It turns out Maggs may be a selfish overpaid bastard in the ego game all for himself.Hey,I barely make 28 K at a job i've been at for 13 years,what do I know?? :angry: :angry:

idseer
05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
can i make a suggestion? i see magglio getting slammed here something awful on info that is suspect at best.

but say that everything is true. what if, instead of being a selfish greedy bastard, he is actually a principled gentleman who refuses to play for a jr run team and is willing to take a 'loss' in wages to play somewhere else?

there is little room in todays game for "loyalty". i don't blame players at all for appearing to be disloyal to a team. the loyalty that a fan has is a world apart from the loyalty of an employee who hates his working environment.

remember, this is just another possible scenario. :smile:

TornLabrum
05-31-2004, 10:20 AM
It doesn't matter if part of the money is deferred, that's a lot of money for the guy anyhow. Plus, IMO, it shows we were willing to keep him around, but he isn't cooperating very well. For as much as he said he wanted to stay, he certainly isn't making much of an effort. Even if 25% was deferred, it's not as if he wouldn't get the money, which he already has a lot of. In my mind, we've gone above and beyond with an offer like that, and if he is going to refuse it, then I have to say, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Oh by the way, you want arbitration? No, okay, thanks for the picks, take care now.

Of course you're making an assumption: the article, by a guy who writes for a newspaper based on Long Island, has inside dope on the Sox.

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 10:20 AM

Didn't Glaus tear his labrum? No, he's not a pitcher, but it means that DH-hood is pretty much his fate for the rest of his career, and that will knock down his value pretty dramatically.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by idseer
can i make a suggestion? i see magglio getting slammed here something awful on info that is suspect at best.

but say that everything is true. what if, instead of being a selfish greedy bastard, he is actually a principled gentleman who refuses to play for a jr run team and is willing to take a 'loss' in wages to play somewhere else?

there is little room in todays game for "loyalty". i don't blame players at all for appearing to be disloyal to a team. the loyalty that a fan has is a world apart from the loyalty of an employee who hates his working environment.

remember, this is just another possible scenario. :smile: Then don't come out and say you want to stay in Chicago if the money is right. If you have no intentions of staying on the Sox for whatever reason, don't drag the fans into false hope. It's cowardly if it indeed is the case. Principle gentleman? That's ridiculous.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Of course you're making an assumption: the article, by a guy who writes for a newspaper based on Long Island, has inside dope on the Sox. Of course it's an assumption, but a reasonable one. This guy may very well be talking to people within the organization. To say, well this guy doesn't live in Chicago, isn't a very convincing argument to discredit the article.

EDIT- If it's not true, all the better.

johnny_mostil
05-31-2004, 10:26 AM
***?

This stuff burns me up. Overt Yankee tampering by using media surrogates.

The commissioner, if he had any cojones, should tell the Yankees that they cannot sign Beltran next year "in the best interest of baseball". They tampered with Matsui, before that with Ruben Rivera, and with countless other players by using the media as protected surrogates. This has to stop. It makes a mockery of the rules. EVERY TIME a "rumor" in the New York press comes out that the Yanks are "interested" in a potential free agent, he ends up holding out and signing there. At some point that big nasty $20 million dollar fine needs to get imposed, along with a one-year moratorium on signing free agents. Yeah, that'd do it.

Nutso

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by johnny_mostil
Didn't Glaus tear his labrum? No, he's not a pitcher, but it means that DH-hood is pretty much his fate for the rest of his career, and that will knock down his value pretty dramatically. If he does become a fullblown DH, then he'll probably have little value to our club, but others will continue to show a lot of interest IMO.

ma-gaga
05-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh by the way, you want arbitration? No, okay, thanks for the picks, take care now.

Will the W.Sox offer arbitration?

They should, but I don't know if they will. Maggs MIGHT be able to get a high dollar one year deal out of them if it goes thru arbitration, and I don't know how much money you really want tied up in one player. And IIRC he's guaranteed 80% of his current contract, so $11.2MM is the MINIMUM he could make going thru arbitration. And he would probably get Vlad money.

$11MM is the right amount to pay for Maggs. $14-$15MM a year is WAAAY too much. The team would be better off without him. Besides, you know as soon as he signs a deal, that Frank Thomas is going to start talking (bitching) about his contract situation... Then again, 3 years from now, with no F.Thomas and no Magglio is probably a little scary for Reinsdorf/KW.

Maybe you pay him $13-$14 to keep him from FA. But I don't know if he 'deserves' it. The hard part is the escalating salary makes his current year his 'starting' point in negotiations.... well at least according to his agent.

beckett21
05-31-2004, 11:05 AM
Didn't Glaus tear his labrum? No, he's not a pitcher, but it means that DH-hood is pretty much his fate for the rest of his career, and that will knock down his value pretty dramatically.

The Angels were considering playing him at 1st, although we have a logjam there at the moment.

He is still only 27 though, so he has a lot of years left.

Don't know if he would be a good fit for us, but he sure swings a helluva stick.

beckett21
05-31-2004, 11:08 AM

The commissioner, if he had any cojones, should tell the Yankees that they cannot sign Beltran next year "in the best interest of baseball". They tampered with Matsui, before that with Ruben Rivera, and with countless other players by using the media as protected surrogates. This has to stop. It makes a mockery of the rules. EVERY TIME a "rumor" in the New York press comes out that the Yanks are "interested" in a potential free agent, he ends up holding out and signing there. At some point that big nasty $20 million dollar fine needs to get imposed, along with a one-year moratorium on signing free agents. Yeah, that'd do it.

Nutso

It just speaks towards the fact that New Yorkers assume that every free agent is theirs for the taking automatically, that everyone wants to play there, and if not then they must be an a-hole or something.

SoxxoS
05-31-2004, 11:30 AM
The Angels were considering playing him at 1st, although we have a logjam there at the moment.

He is still only 27 though, so he has a lot of years left.

Don't know if he would be a good fit for us, but he sure swings a helluva stick.

If healthy Troy Glaus would be an outstanding pickup.

(I think we are using crimson for obvious statements.)

I know he is still young and whatnot, but I am one foot off the Joe Crede bandwagon. We are not asking for .330 35 110 from him...just .280 20 75. He might get the homers and RBI's, but hitting under .210 isn't going to cut it. I give him the rest of this year, and possibly go to plan B in the offseason.

owensmouth
05-31-2004, 11:34 AM
I have a feeling that one of the Daily News sources may be WSI. This place is rumor run amouk and I suspect we're just feeding on ourselves.

Magglio will sign for whatever he wants. There's sure to be someone willing to give it to him.

For the next four months there's only one organization that can make him an offer, the White Sox. I suggest we let the season play out. If he wants to stay here, he will.

I will say this, the Mets have virtually no chance of signing Maggs. He's interested in more than they can offer.

LASOXFAN
05-31-2004, 12:13 PM
It just speaks towards the fact that New Yorkers assume that every free agent is theirs for the taking automatically, that everyone wants to play there, and if not then they must be an a-hole or something.

I so agree. Like some fat kings deciding which village they want to pillage. And why would anyone want to play for the Mets in that crappy stadium with a long list of free agents whose careers have gone to Shea to die?

I do believe it was Mags who asked A-Rod what it's like to play for the Yankees on opening day, they're good friends. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a dream of playing there.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Again for what it's worth.

This week in The Sporting News, Ken Rosenthal has a story saying the Yankees are backing off on Carlos Beltran because they don't have the prospects the Royals want for him. According to the story Kansas City wants a young 3rd baseman, outfielder and a pitching prospect for him.

Rosenthal does envision a scenario where once Nomar comes back the Red Sox ship him to the Dodgers for prospects including Edwin Jackson then they ship those guys to the Royals for Beltran.

Lip

jamteh
05-31-2004, 12:22 PM
I agree. Let's let the season play out with Maggz. If we make the playoffs, we'll need his bat. If he wants to stay, fantastic. He's one of my favorite Sox players of all time. If he doesn't, then I'll get over it eventually like I did with Robin Ventura.

As a writer, I have a hard time believing this N.Y. reporter's scoop on the Maggz offer. Who's the source? I think someone in Chicago would have gotten that scoop by now as the Chicago writers have more insight into what's going on around here.

For once, I agree with KW. We need to start thinking about winning a championship now. That's all I want to see. I'm not worried about next year or the year after that.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2004, 12:25 PM

konerko is a joke.
valentine is dead.

:troll

voodoochile
05-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Again for what it's worth.

This week in The Sporting News, Ken Rosenthal has a story saying the Yankees are backing off on Carlos Beltran because they don't have the prospects the Royals want for him. According to the story Kansas City wants a young 3rd baseman, outfielder and a pitching prospect for him.

Rosenthal does envision a scenario where once Nomar comes back the Red Sox ship him to the Dodgers for prospects including Edwin Jackson then they ship those guys to the Royals for Beltran.

Lip

Crede, Rowand and Rauch?

Uribe moves to third and Harris to second permanently.

soltrain21
05-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Crede, Rowand and Rauch?

Uribe moves to third and Harris to second permanently.

Uribe does play a damn good third base, though. But then who would play SS next year?

Oh who cares about next year, lets win it this year!

beckett21
05-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
But then who would play SS next year?

Edgar Renteria

voodoochile
05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Uribe does play a damn good third base, though. But then who would play SS next year?

Oh who cares about next year, lets win it this year!

Jose could be signed to a 2 year $6M contract probably and that would be fine with me.

habibharu
05-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Maggs is NOT worth 14mm. no freakin way. i would much rather let him go and get hudson or garcia and renteria.

HaroMaster87
05-31-2004, 02:37 PM

Nutso

Best post...EVER!

Something needs to be done with the yank-mees...they are souring alot of peoples attitudes on baseball...

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM

Oh who cares about next year, lets win it this year! Uribe at SS and Glaus at third. If he were healthy enough to play third.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Jose could be signed to a 2 year $6M contract probably and that would be fine with me. I too see that as a possibility that I wouldn't be against as of now.

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 02:54 PM
If this is TRUE, let the Fan Backlash Begin. The guy is my favorite player, and this certainly is leading credence to the idea that Maggs wants to stay in Chicago..........just not with the WhiteSox. I think he realizes that a certain team 8 miles north.......
A: Loves anything associated with the WhiteSOX.
B: Has BIG MONEY to spend and will OVERSPEND to acquire
something as long as its related to the WhiteSox.
C: Knowing team 8miles north is also SHORT ON ORIGINALITY AND CREATIVITY (seventh inning stretch, harrycaray statue) They would LOVE the fact that Signing MAGGS also gives them a Built in Marketing Campaign (OOO eeeeee OOOO Magg LIOOOOO) IS there anything else this Organization will do to HELP the other TEam BEAT them at ???

This is TOTALLY DISHEARTENING .................. He is about to go from my FAVORITE PLAYER to being My most HATED PLAYER.
As for Yankees Tampering .............. This has been going on for some time now, them using the MEDIA for sinister/FA barometer purposes. Had there been a commissioner, the game wouldnt be in the position its in now. WWFD? (What would Fay Do?) He certainly WOULDVE SLAPPED the Yanks with a nice hefty fine and not allowed them to pursue him. Why is it the YANKS and CUBS seem to be the only teams lately, that have been accused/berated for activities NOT in baseballs best interests? Hmmmmmmm, they BOTH have SkyHigh Payrolls, and BOTH print their own money................

joeynach
05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Don't let the door hit you....you greedy #*(#(*$. THATS WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY WANTED. UNREAL. If this is true, you can run off to wherever, cause you sure as hell aren't worth more than 14 mil a year.

I think everyone needs to calm down here and take into account the source on this article. Most likely this is a phony article that is fabricated cuz the sox are not gonna go after a 40 year old Johnson at all. This new york paper, newsday, is basically the tabloid of sporting news. And what would a new york paper know about what goes on here that chicago paper wouldn't. THIS IS BOGUS. Our friend MAXIMO/NCOR still says the current offer to Maggs is still 6 years 68 mil and there has been no response from that.

jabrch
05-31-2004, 03:37 PM
IF he really turned down 5/70, he can get the hell out of town - and do it immediately after the season. But for now, unless there is a deal that will help us to win today, I am content to keep him and offer him arbitration, take the draft picks, and be done with him. I wouldn't trade him cheaply - that's for sure.

samram
05-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Where's that otis guy- maybe he knows something. :D:

By the way, good call by those who say the Yanks use the media in free agent and trade pursuits. It seems that they can 1) get a feel for the market without contacting a team and showing any of their cards, and 2) can scare others out of the FA market by floating rumors about how much has been offered. I think Sheffield ended up signing for about $13M, when it was initially reported around $16M. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference in this market, but you never know.

South Side
05-31-2004, 04:00 PM
On The Score today at about 1:00 they talked to the guy that wrote this article and let me tell you he did NOT sound like he knew what he was talking about. He said that he thought contract negotiations broke up about a month ago and White Sox fans should just say goodbye now. As far as I am concerned after hearing this guy talk about the issue, I would not believe anything he has to say about Maggs' contract.

doublem23
05-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by South Side
On The Score today at about 1:00 they talked to the guy that wrote this article and let me tell you he did NOT sound like he knew what he was talking about. He said that he thought contract negotiations broke up about a month ago and White Sox fans should just say goodbye now. As far as I am concerned after hearing this guy talk about the issue, I would not believe anything he has to say about Maggs' contract.

If our own sports media can't report anything on the Sox, I wouldn't expect some shmuck from a crappy newspaper in New York to do it either. I can't believe there is such a hoopla over this. You guys need to relax and just enjoy what's been a remarkably fun year thus far.

TornLabrum
05-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Right now I'm a helluva lot more concerned about whether or not Maggs goes on the DL or will play tomorrow night than I am over what some clown on Long Island is writing about he thinks is going on with his contract negotiations.

South Side
05-31-2004, 04:14 PM
If our own sports media can't report anything on the Sox, I wouldn't expect some shmuck from a crappy newspaper in New York to do it either. I can't believe there is such a hoopla over this. You guys need to relax and just enjoy what's been a remarkably fun year thus far.

Absolutely, especially considering that if we continue to play this way I think it will have a lot of influence regarding Maggs' future on the White Sox.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by South Side
On The Score today at about 1:00 they talked to the guy that wrote this article and let me tell you he did NOT sound like he knew what he was talking about. He said that he thought contract negotiations broke up about a month ago and White Sox fans should just say goodbye now. As far as I am concerned after hearing this guy talk about the issue, I would not believe anything he has to say about Maggs' contract. That's refreshing, thanks for the update South Side.

maurice
06-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Either the story is total BS, most of the $$$ was deferred until the year 2178, or Maggs is completely insane.

IronFisk
06-01-2004, 12:58 PM
I really don't have time to filter through 7 pages, so if I echo here, sorry. If it is true, then Maggs is one greedy S.O.B. - but who the heck knows. For $14 mil - FORGET Maggs, and sign an ACE pitcher, and maybe two other bats, and were set. Hell, if we can throw 5 great pitchers out there any given night, I think we have more than enough offensive punch to be a huge force.

Besides...this mega-contract thing seems to NEVER work out for other teams (Texas, Baltimore, etc)...other than the Yanks.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Is this a rumor?Is it the truth? I have no idea.But it sounds like Reinsdork's camp is already preparing the "we tried to sign Magglio but......" statement. :?: :?:

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
Is this a rumor?Is it the truth? I have no idea.But it sounds like Reinsdork's camp is already preparing the "we tried to sign Magglio but......" statement. :?: :?: If it is the truth, can you blame the Sox? I don't think you can. Anyhow, they talked about this on the Score today. They concurred that if it is true, then Maggs is a dope and the Sox are off the hook. I still hope it's bs, but the way the contract negotiations have gone (maggs refuse to even discuss it with the Sox) it doesn't appear far-fetched.

jabrch
06-01-2004, 02:37 PM
I wont blame the Sox at this point any more than I blamed them for Colon leaving. If he wants to be overpaid - this is the wrong place. We can't offer him more money than the Mets - our budget is limited to a certain amount - and no one player can eat up a huge % of it if the team is to be able to be competitive. I like Maggs and hope he stays, but if 5/70 isn't enough, I'll enjoy booing him next season.

:tomatoaward

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Well it was expressed on Channel 7 of the situation as we know it. 5 years $70 mill turned down was all that was said, but it's officailly been recognized by the Chicago media for all who were waiting for that aspect.

voodoochile
06-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Well it was expressed on Channel 7 of the situation as we know it. 5 years $70 mill turned down was all that was said, but it's officailly been recognized by the Chicago media for all who were waiting for that aspect.

WSI leading the pack again. It figures that Chicago Media is behind the posters on this site in knowing what is reported by out of city reporters.

I find it hilarious that a day after a poster noticed that article here, it is the talk of the Chicago Media, including having been posted on the Trib's website and having interviewed the guy who wrote the article (who seemed pretty out of the loop as far as loops go when that interview was summarized in this very thread).

Man, the media in this town wouldn't know the truth about the Sox if it rose up and bit them on the ass.

kittle42
06-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I like Maggs and hope he stays, but if 5/70 isn't enough, I'll enjoy booing him next season.

I have been all on the sign Maggs bandwagon, but screw 'em if the negotiations story is true.

I wonder how much of that was deferred.

jabrch
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I have been all on the sign Maggs bandwagon, but screw 'em if the negotiations story is true.

I wonder how much of that was deferred.

I don't give a damn how much is deffered. The cost of money is so little, as has been said so far here many times, that for something like 50,000 per million per year you can have that deferred package made into current dollars. It is insane to say that this is a difference maker at the end of the day. If he wants to stay, he can stay and be very happy and wealthy. This isn't a situation where a player is taking what little he can while he can - this is a guy who already has made fantastic $ and will, over the next 5 for sure, make a ton more. His call - but if he leaves, it is either because he never wanted to stay here to begin with, OR he is a greedy bastard.

5/70 is a very fair offer in this baseball economic climate

faneidde
06-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I wont blame the Sox at this point any more than I blamed them for Colon leaving. If he wants to be overpaid - this is the wrong place. We can't offer him more money than the Mets - our budget is limited to a certain amount - and no one player can eat up a huge % of it if the team is to be able to be competitive. I like Maggs and hope he stays, but if 5/70 isn't enough, I'll enjoy booing him next season.

:tomatoaward

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I agree with everything in that article 100%. I'll have to ask you to stop reading my mind jabrch.

jabrch
06-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
I couldn't have said it any better myself. I agree with everything in that article 100%. I'll have to ask you to stop reading my mind jabrch.

Then stop replaying all the porn you watch and I'll stop mindreading.

South Side
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok, so on Mac, Jerko, and Harry this afternoon they talked to Sandy from the clubhouse in Oakland and he said he or any of the other guys have not heard anything about Maggs turning down 70 million for 5 years... so once again I say that reporter from NY doesn't know what he's talking about and it bugs me that he can write something like this so casually.... you see how we take it!

Viva Magglio
06-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I waited a day to think about this and came to this conclusion: Consider the Source.

Have you every heard the saying "A paper never refuses ink"? I think that is what the case is here. The New York print media, even Newsday, has a flair for being sensational. The NYC medial will pretzel anything and put a spin on it for the mere purpose of selling newspapers and/or creating controversy. In order words, don't treat this story as gospel.

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I waited a day to think about this and came to this conclusion: Consider the Source.

Have you every heard the saying "A paper never refuses ink"? I think that is what the case is here. The New York print media, even Newsday, has a flair for being sensational. The NYC medial will pretzel anything and put a spin on it for the mere purpose of selling newspapers and/or creating controversy. In order words, don't treat this story as gospel. It was on channel 7 news today.

TornLabrum
06-01-2004, 08:44 PM
It was on channel 7 news today.

Ohmygod! Then it MUST be true!!!!!

I finally heard a few clips from the interview that they did with that reporter.

Here is the key of what the entire inteview:

"I think negotiations broke down about a month ago." (Direct quote.)

So much for that story.

voodoochile
06-01-2004, 08:44 PM

Yes, but they are probably just repeating what was printed. I doubt they have more information at this time.

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Ohmygod! Then it MUST be true!!!!!

I finally heard a few clips from the interview that they did with that reporter.

Here is the key of what the entire inteview:

"I think negotiations broke down about a month ago." (Direct quote.)

So much for that story. I wasn't hyping it, I was simply letting you know. Make your own conclusions.

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Yes, but they are probably just repeating what was printed. I doubt they have more information at this time. Your probably right.

Viva Magglio
06-01-2004, 08:54 PM

Well consider that source, then. Channel 7 may be No. 1 in the ratings, but they are probably No. 3 (behind 2 and 5) in terms of quality).

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
Well consider that source, then. Channel 7 may be No. 1 in the ratings, but they are probably No. 3 (behind 2 and 5) in terms of quality). See two spots above your post.

tstrike2000
06-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Well, assuming Maggs rejects any offer the Sox give him, I would try to package Maggs and Konerko for a front line starter.

SEALgep
06-01-2004, 11:06 PM
The report already had been brought to Ordonez's attention. He didn't seem to know anything about turning down an offer commensurate with his $14 million salary this season.

"No, that's not true. That's a lie," said Ordonez of the report out of New York. "I just read the paper and that's a lie. I don't know who said that and why they said I want to go to the Mets. It's a lie, that's all I can say."

Ordonez mentioned that Tom Reich, his agent, is still talking with the White Sox about a possible new deal. But the contract couldn't be further from his mind right now.

Good to hear Maggs! At least for now.

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 12:41 AM
The report already had been brought to Ordonez's attention. He didn't seem to know anything about turning down an offer commensurate with his $14 million salary this season.

"No, that's not true. That's a lie," said Ordonez of the report out of New York. "I just read the paper and that's a lie. I don't know who said that and why they said I want to go to the Mets. It's a lie, that's all I can say."

Ordonez mentioned that Tom Reich, his agent, is still talking with the White Sox about a possible new deal. But the contract couldn't be further from his mind right now.

Good to hear Maggs! At least for now.

You see everyone getting all upset for nothing, relax!!!! :gulp:

batmanZoSo
06-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Upon further review...

Thanks NY media.

pinwheels3530
06-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Upon further review...

Thanks NY media.

Hey I am with you :gulp:

CorkNKerrys
06-02-2004, 05:49 PM
The problem here has nothing to do with Ordonez. It has to do with people on the internet hearing a quick blurb of unconfirmed gossip, (over)reacting instantly, and then having opinions formed even when contrary information comes out.

Did he reject the offer? On www.whitesox.com, Magglio Ordonez is quoted as saying: "No, that's not true. That's a lie." People in this message board have already dismissed Maggs, saying it will be hard for them to root for him now. New York Media jumps the gun on false information, the Internet shows it across the country, opinions are formed, Magglio is booed, all befor Ordonez even hears about an apparent rejection.

Magglio Ordonez: "I just read the paper and that's a lie. I don't know who said that and why they said I want to go to the Mets. It's a lie, that's all I can say."

STOP BELIEVING EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET. It's run by bratty 15 year old virgins who complain about everything. 10 seconds on Ain't It Cool News would prove that to ANYBODY.

Relax everybody. Get pissed when Maggs SIGNS with the Mets.

SOXSINCE'70
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by tstrike2000
Well, assuming Maggs rejects any offer the Sox give him, I would try to package Maggs and Konerko for a front line starter.

Belly Crotch is the reason Rolaids exist!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: