PDA

View Full Version : White Sox and the fifth starter

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Well so far on the year the White Sox are 1-7 when the fifth starter is pitching. Our total record is 29-20 on the year. If you take out those games when the fifth starter pitched from the overall record that gives us a record of 28-13. That's not just good, that's incredible. If we had that winning percentage over a whole season, it would projects to 111 wins. Now 29-20 isnt bad (that projects to 96 wins), but what if we had a pitcher who was semi-decent in the fifth whole? Not even a Garcia or a Livan, but just someone decent??? We would be 5-6 games up on the Twins right now and totally running away with the division and we'd be the best team in the AL right now. It's incredible how good we are if we take the 5th starter out of the equation.

KW, get us a decent 5th guy at minimum, even if his ERA is 4.5ish. I'd love a Livan or Garcia, but we have an urgent need to get someone decent. It might would be better to rush and get someone mediocre instead of waiting to late july for the ace.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I will go on record and say that if the Sox do not find another decent starting pitcher, they will not make the playoffs.

A new pitcher doesn't have to be a #5 guy. I'd much rather they go get Garcia or Hernandez or another "top of the rotation" starter, bumping Schoney and Garland down a notch.

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well so far on the year the White Sox are 1-7 when the fifth starter is pitching. Our total record is 29-20 on the year. If you take out those games when the fifth starter pitched from the overall record that gives us a record of 28-13. That's not just good, that's incredible. If we had that winning percentage over a whole season, it would projects to 111 wins. Now 29-20 isnt bad (that projects to 96 wins), but what if we had a pitcher who was semi-decent in the fifth whole? Not even a Garcia or a Livan, but just someone decent??? We would be 5-6 games up on the Twins right now and totally running away with the division and we'd be the best team in the AL right now. It's incredible how good we are if we take the 5th starter out of the equation.

KW, get us a decent 5th guy at minimum, even if his ERA is 4.5ish. I'd love a Livan or Garcia, but we have an urgent need to get someone decent. It might would be better to rush and get someone mediocre instead of waiting to late july for the ace.

We're better than we were at this point in 2000. We had a 13-15 May that year. Kip Wells was the 5th starter on that team and he went something like 6-9. That would be a monumental improvement to 1-7. This team has much better starting pitching than 2000..it's not even close. I agree that it would help us a lot to get that "semi-decent" starter, but we should be shooting higher first and I'm sure that's what KW's thinking as well.

Tragg
05-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
We're better than we were at this point in 2000. We had a 13-15 May that year. Kip Wells was the 5th starter on that team and he went something like 6-9. That would be a monumental improvement to 1-7. This team has much better starting pitching than 2000..it's not even close. I agree that it would help us a lot to get that "semi-decent" starter, but we should be shooting higher first and I'm sure that's what KW's thinking as well.

We were 30-22 through may 2000