PDA

View Full Version : *Official Post-game thread: 2 out of 3 over the Angels!


PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2004, 05:27 PM
There is only one first-place team in Chicago.

Winning is good.

Making losing "lovable" is bad.

Discuss among yourselves.

:gulp:

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Winning is fun and fun is winning!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Good to know the ill effects of the Jon Rauch "I'm outta here!" controversy had no lasting effects on the team. Somehow I'm sure the Sox would have entered a week-long funk had something similar happened last year.

:jerry
"Where is Jose Paniaqua when you need him?"

BigEdWalsh
05-30-2004, 05:34 PM
ex-Sox great (tic) Ron Santo: "This game is a fun game"

FarWestChicago
05-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Good to know the ill effects of the Jon Rauch "I'm outta here!" controversy had no lasting effects on the team. Somehow I'm sure the Sox would have entered a week-long funk had something similar happened last year. I suspect the Sox didn't quite get their panties in as much of a bunch as our members. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Good to know the ill effects of the Jon Rauch "I'm outta here!" controversy had no lasting effects on the team. Somehow I'm sure the Sox would have entered a week-long funk had something similar happened last year.

I completely agree.

I think Ozzie Guillen has been exactly what this team needed, and the biggest reason is that he knows how to handle Frank Thomas and therefore keep the clubhouse loose.

This isn't such a terrible reflection on Jerry Manuel, but rather much to the credit of Ozzie.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2004, 06:09 PM
It's not too hard to imagine how much better the Sox record would be if they had one more decent starting pitcher.

I think that the fact that they had an untested starting pitcher caused the Sox bats to curl up and die on Saturday.

I think that when the "fifth starter" pitches, the hitters already are psychologically defeated. They press too hard, thinking they have to score 15 runs, and so they fail. When their other proven starters pitch, they relax and, like magic, they hit and produce runs.

Get another starter, and the Sox win the division this year.

PaulDrake
05-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm not saying anything new. The biggest difference is Ozzie. He's made a believer out of me, and I was not overjoyed when KW hired him. I feel a lot like I did when I was a kid, looking forward to each and every Sox game. If Ozzie can have that kind of effect on an old guy like me, I know it's motivating the players.

Jjav829
05-30-2004, 06:17 PM
So out of our 6 home games against the tough Rangers and Angels, we went 4-2 and outscored them 33-17. I'll take it! Now let's hope we don't see any west coast meltdowns before interleague begins.

inta
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
wow. aside from taking today's game in amazing fashion, i'm ELATED on how we did this past week. I was nervous after the past few years of getting eaten up by the western division.

this team has me eating X amount of dirt after calling for their dismantling after the twins series at sox park...

in this case i love being wrong.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
So out of our 6 home games against the tough Rangers and Angels, we went 4-2 and outscored them 33-17. I'll take it! Now let's hope we don't see any west coast meltdowns before interleague begins.

No reason to think it's going to be like the Manuel days when we would do such things. We finished over .500 in May for the first time since 1997. The M's are terrible and the only good pitcher we see is Freddy Garcia whom we're trying to acquire. In Oakland we do see Mulder, but throw Buehrle right back at him. Loaiza vs Redman is a good matchup too.

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Wow, I never got so drenched in all my life!

The past 8 games I've gone to, the Sox have won. :smile:

Billy Koch is looking much better. I have to say I don't get nearly as panic-stricken as I once did when he came running out of the bullpen.

Anyway, here's to hopefully changing our luck on the West Coast once and for all! :gulp:

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 06:49 PM
I came early for nothing as Fuji Film Day got rained out, but came back for the game and have no regrets about paying for parking twice.

Only thing that sucked was that I was sitting in front of an airhead Cub fan who kept cheering as they ran up the score against the Pirates...despite the best attempts of myself and her Sox fan boyfriend to tell her that her team just lost 3 out of 4 to the Pirates and she really doesn't have much to brag about.

She cheered for Angel flyouts, noticed outs about 10 minutes after they occured, thought the New York Mets were beating Toronto by 18 runs (when it turns out she was mistaking pitcher #'s for scores) and when I told her that the Angels were a better team than the Pirates she said "Well, doesn't matter, we're going to win the World Series anyway."

I though other posters who reported stuff like that were making it all up. My apologies.

DickAllen72
05-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Another great start by Schoeneweis! Kenny Williams sure did a great job picking him up from the Angels last year.

Go Sox!

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
I came early for nothing as Fuji Film Day got rained out, but came back for the game and have no regrets about paying for parking twice.

Only thing that sucked was that I was sitting in front of an airhead Cub fan who kept cheering as they ran up the score against the Pirates...despite the best attempts of myself and her Sox fan boyfriend to tell her that her team just lost 3 out of 4 to the Pirates and she really doesn't have much to brag about.

She cheered for Angel flyouts, noticed outs about 10 minutes after they occured, thought the New York Mets were beating Toronto by 18 runs (when it turns out she was mistaking pitcher #'s for scores) and when I told her that the Angels were a better team than the Pirates she said "Well, doesn't matter, we're going to win the World Series anyway."

I though other posters who reported stuff like that were making it all up. My apologies.

This makes me wonder if the cubs really do have more fans than we do. Would you really count a nincompoop like that? Your team is in fifth place on Memorial Day and you're going to the World Series. My head hurts...

doublem23
05-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I suspect the Sox didn't quite get their panties in as much of a bunch as our members. :smile:

I don't know... On the WGN news last night, they showed some interviews with the players and a few were generally pissed. I think Koch was ready to go on a rampage.

JGarlandrules20
05-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Just got back from the game and it was awesome.. except for the fact I had to stand out in the rain for like an hour and a half if more(I was soaked... Ponchos come in handy..if you wear them and I didn't, hah.). And they ended up cancelling photo day... we got these rain check tickets for it. They're rescheduling it for some day in August vs the Indians.. i think the 8th?

It was awesome how the sun just randomly came out and stayed out the whole game! :smile: Way to go sox!

Lip Man 1
05-30-2004, 08:09 PM
So far the Sox have been passing most of the tests with flying colors...next up...a big one. The West Coast monkey.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
So far the Sox have been passing most of the tests with flying colors...next up...a big one. The West Coast monkey.

Lip

Well they got the May thing off their backs. No reason to belive they cant take 3 on this swing. It would be sweet to sweep the Mariners in Seattle no matter how bad they are this year. I see us winning 3 or 4 based on our performance when the fifth starter isnt pitching. Since the sweep in Toronto, we've failed to get a Quality start from our 1-4 only twice. Once was the Garland game in Minnesota (where we scored 17 in support and the other was that bad game with Schoe against Texas. We've scored 7.3 runs per game in support of the Big 4 since that sweep in Toronto. Also, the starters have been averaging 7 innings and 1.8 ER per start. That's just absolutely awesome.

C-Dawg
05-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JGarlandrules20

It was awesome how the sun just randomly came out and stayed out the whole game! :smile: Way to go sox!

This was my 6th home game of the year, and it was probably the best weather of them all so far (although I confess to arriving just as they pulled off the tarp so I missed the deluge). I never would have imagined it being so nice, when i saw all the rain we had earlier. And the 11-2 pounding sure helped too! Go Sox!

FarWestChicago
05-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I don't know... On the WGN news last night, they showed some interviews with the players and a few were generally pissed. I think Koch was ready to go on a rampage. Actually I was referring to people getting wadded up about Kenny. :smile:

Whitesox029
05-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know--the sox are now 3-0 with a rainout in games I have attended in 2004. You may now start sending me your tickets.

Whitesox029
05-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

Only thing that sucked was that I was sitting in front of an airhead Cub fan who kept cheering as they ran up the score against the Pirates...despite the best attempts of myself and her Sox fan boyfriend to tell her that her team just lost 3 out of 4 to the Pirates and she really doesn't have much to brag about.

She cheered for Angel flyouts, noticed outs about 10 minutes after they occured, thought the New York Mets were beating Toronto by 18 runs (when it turns out she was mistaking pitcher #'s for scores) and when I told her that the Angels were a better team than the Pirates she said "Well, doesn't matter, we're going to win the World Series anyway."

I though other posters who reported stuff like that were making it all up. My apologies.
Oh no, Fish, it's all too real. I know a woman just like that in fact. She's nice otherwise but a total bandwagoner. When the Cubs are in last place in September she won't bother with it anymore, I guarantee it.

MisterB
05-31-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
It's not too hard to imagine how much better the Sox record would be if they had one more decent starting pitcher.

Let me imagine for you all...

The Sox are 1-7 this year when our '5th starter' pitches. If that were just changed to 4-4, the Sox would be 32-17 which would be the best record in baseball, and give us about a 5 game lead on the Twinkies.