PDA

View Full Version : Don't Mess With Willie


illiniwhitesox
05-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I realize we have to have Uribe on the field, but Willie's developing offensively and defensively. We should not screw with this kid by platooning him b/w 2nd and CF.

As a leadoff hitter, he provides too much of a threat with his speed. Uribe and him are a great 1-2 punch. Willie shows great range at second - let's keep him there and use the left side of the infield to find a home for Juan.

We can platoon Perez and Rowand at CF - let's not think about throwing Willie here.

Juan should be given a shot at 3rd or SS. Neither Valentin nor Crede are setting the world on fire. Crede's lucky he's above two spins with his BA and Valentin is either feast or famine at the plate.

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Valentin however always seems to come up with a big hit when we need it. So you usually forget about all the bad things he did that given game. Crede has done nothing as of late. How much longer before he turns It on?

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
[BNeither Valentin nor Crede are setting the world on fire. Crede's lucky he's above two spins with his BA and Valentin is either feast or famine at the plate. [/B]

Crede is dissapointing now, but he still should come around and have a decent season.

Valentin isn't setting the world on fire? .269 with 8 HR and 25 RBI is pretty damn good out of your SS IMO.

His 8 homers ties the lead for most by a major league shortstop.

His OPS is only rivaled by Carlos Guillen, Miguel Tejada and Michael Young in the AL and I dont think Guillen has that kind of staying power.
Say what you want about his K's and errors because they make him look pathetic at times, but he has great range and hits very well.

twinsuck1
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Crede is dissapointing now, but he still should come around and have a decent season.

Valentin isn't setting the world on fire? .269 with 8 HR and 25 RBI is pretty damn good out of your SS IMO.

His 8 homers ties the lead for most by a major league shortstop.

His OPS is only rivaled by Carlos Guillen, Miguel Tejada and Michael Young in the AL and I dont think Guillen has that kind of staying power.
Say what you want about his K's and errors because they make him look pathetic at times, but he has great range and hits very well.

Good additude MRKARNO :)

HomeFish
05-30-2004, 09:13 PM
They have a new song that they play everytime Willie gets a hit or does something special that this thread reminded me of.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

whitesoxwilkes
05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
They have a new song that they play everytime Willie gets a hit or does something special that this thread reminded me of.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hey Willie Willie...go home...little Willie Willie..go home.

It's awful catchy.

The Critic
05-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Hey Willie Willie...go home...little Willie Willie..go home.

It's awful catchy.

Yeah, except the actual lyrics are "Little Willie, Willie WON'T go home"...when I heard that on Friday night I thought that was kind of pessimistic - whattya MEAN he won't go home????
:D:

misty60481
05-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Willy needs to pump up about 20 lbs of muscle he has to put more power in the bat

Daver
05-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
Willy needs to pump up about 20 lbs of muscle he has to put more power in the bat

Your kidding, right?

WhiteSox = Life
05-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by HomeFish
They have a new song that they play everytime Willie gets a hit or does something special that this thread reminded me of.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's "Little Willy" by the Sweet, a 70's glam rock band.

I actually discovered the song on Music Choice a while back, and let's just say, acquired the song. A couple of days after procuring the song, I hear it when Willie steals second base.

Now I blast it whenever I'm at my computer and Willie gets on base. I've been doin' it a lot lately.

Actually, before hearing it over the television, I was honestly going to do one of my parodies. I still might do so...

Example lyrics of "Little Willy":
North side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town.
Dancing, glancing,
Willy drives them silly with his Star Shoe Shimmy Shuffle Down.
Way past one, and feeling all right,
'Cause with little Willy 'round they can last all night.
Hey down, stay down, stay down, down.

'Cause little Willy, Willy won't, go home.
But you can't push Willy 'round,
Willy won't go. Try tellin' everybody but, oh no!
Little Willy, Willy won't, go home!

Up town, down town
Little Willy, Willy drives them wild with his run-around style.
Inside, outside,
Willy sends them silly with his Star-shine Shimmy Shuffle Smile.
Mama done chase Willy down through the hall,
But laugh, Willy laugh, he don't care at all.
Hey down, stay down, stay down, down.

'Cause little Willy, Willy won't, go home.
But you can't push Willy 'round,
Willy won't go. Try tellin' ev'rybody, but, oh no!
Little Willy, Willy won't, go home!

You can change the refrain to something like...
'Cause Little Willie, Willie will, run home.
But you can't stop Willie now,
Willie will go. Try tellin' ev'rybody, but, oh no!
Little Willie, Willie will, go home!

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Daver
Your kidding, right?

I want Willie to put on more muscle for another reason - stealing bases. It's hard on your body and working with weights, will ad flexibility and durability to a light frame. I honestly think this guy can lead the league in stolen basis if he concentrates on learning the pitchers and their moves.

As far as power in his bat, I just want the guy to spray the ball and continue to show he can bunt the ball to keep the infield honest. He's batting right around .320 - and I'll take that any day/year/career.

I'm just thankful that he understands that a key for the Pale Hose is for him to get on base in any way, shape or form. I look at Patterson in the World's Largest Beer Garden and thank god that Willie understands his role. Patterson clearly does not.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I want Willie to put on more muscle for another reason - stealing bases. It's hard on your body and working with weights, will ad flexibility and durability to a light frame. He's not skinny. He's thin but ripped, and already has the speed. If you want him to steal more bases, he's better off not lifting additonal weights, but rather work on his jumps and timing on opposing pitchers.

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
He's not skinny. He's thin but ripped, and already has the speed. If you want him to steal more bases, he's better off not lifting additonal weights, but rather work on his jumps and timing on opposing pitchers.

I disagree. Stealing 40+ bases a year takes a toll on your body. Having played college basketball, I was always injured until I started lifting.

It's a preventative measure. You don't need to bulk up. Look at MJ when he was with the Bulls. He lifted in a manner to build explosiveness, durability and strength - not bulk!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that lifting would serve Willie well.

SEALgep
05-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I disagree. Stealing 40+ bases a year takes a toll on your body. Having played college basketball, I was always injured until I started lifting.

It's a preventative measure. You don't need to bulk up. Look at MJ when he was with the Bulls. He lifted in a manner to build explosiveness, durability and strength - not bulk!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that lifting would serve Willie well. What makes you think he doesn't lift weights? By looking at his physique, it looks as if he does lift. Lifting doesn't translate into being big necessarily. His training allows him to continue to have speed with his legs and his bat. He's in good shape. Look at Juan Pierre, does he look bigger than Willie? No. You make it sound like he's a toothpick or something. Willie has the durability, explosiveness, and strength you described already, and I'm sure it isn't all just genetics. You have to work for that, and we have no reason to believe he hasn't worked for it. Besides, you want to get him on a grueling workout regiment now, in the middle of the season. That would do more to hurt him than prevent it.

illiniwhitesox
05-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What makes you think he doesn't lift weights? By looking at his physique, it looks as if he does lift. Lifting doesn't translate into being big necessarily. His training allows him to continue to have speed with his legs and his bat. He's in good shape. Look at Juan Pierre, does he look bigger than Willie? No. You make it sound like he's a toothpick or something. Willie has the durability, explosiveness, and strength you described already, and I'm sure it isn't all just genetics. You have to work for that, and we have no reason to believe he hasn't worked for it. Besides, you want to get him on a grueling workout regiment now, in the middle of the season. That would do more to hurt him than prevent it.

All right, let's read the entire thread before we jump to conclusions. I did not start this. Someone else stated that he hopes Willie starts lifting so that he can drive the ball better.

My response was simple:
1) I don't feel he needs to lift weights to hit.
2) I like the fact he is spraying the ball and uses the bunt to keep the infield honest
3) I think he can lead the league in stolen bases - this takes a toll, however, on one's body
4) If he is going to lift weights, I hope he does it for durability and strength as compared to bulking up.