PDA

View Full Version : Critique of Rauch's performance on the mound...

Randar68
05-30-2004, 02:12 PM
ok, if you're going to respond with 'he sucks' or anything like that... Save it.

This is for serious critiques of his performance, mechanicis, stuff, etc.

yesterday:

1) Rauch pitched up in the zone far too often.
2) He wasn't able to get his curve over, and the few times he did, he wasn't getting those calls.
3) He wasn't pitching inside as much as he needs to.
4) He stands more upright during his delivery and doesn't use his legs as much as he did ini years past
5) He only pitched 1 inning in the 9 previous days. He's a control/feel pitcher
6) How many change-ups did he throw?
7) Other than Timo's early misplay, the defense kept him in this game, but he just never was able to find himself.

OK, was he really any worse than Cotts or Diaz? None of them have excatly been set-up to succeed.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I thought he was actually more effective than Wright, Cotts, or Diaz had been, considering that he didn't give up any runs until the fourth inning. Rauch benefitted from some great defense behind him, but he still seemed to have a better idea of what he was doing than any of the Sox previous fifth-starter experiments.

Shoeless Joe
05-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Well I was glad he was throwing first pitch strikes against every batter. But once he reached into 0-2 and 1-2 counts all hell broke loose. He was sort of like Diaz, he threw strikes but they were straight down the middle. He got away with it early in the game, but with an extremely good offense like the Angels, he had no chance. Plus he only used two pitches the whole game, his fastball and curve. You're not going to fool too many teams with just two pitches unless you're an absolute stud.

But anyways this fifth spot in the rotation is starting to become a huge problem. I'm confident that Kenny can get something done soon because he's done so in the past. But by all means, if Rauch is involved in a deal, then get it done.

Bucktown
05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Exactly my observations. The only thing I would add was that he seemed to get distracted by the runner's rather than the focus on what he had to do to get outs. In that fateful 4th he kept stepping off the rubber to star back the runner at 2nd.

Definitely agree that the nall was up in the zone.

I also agree that their were some spectacular defensive plays which I haven't seen posted:

1. The first inning where some idiot Angel was thrown out strying to stretch a hit into a double (I was still parking my car).

2. Gload throwing out an idiot Angel dilly dallying off second after catching a pop-up.

3. Timo's incredible strike to the plate.

We on;y had one bonehead running play (Lee) to their three.

Rauch can't complain about the support behind him.

Huisj
05-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty upset about all the crap that took place after his outing with him leaving early and basically pissing away any chance of ever having another shot with the Sox. I only saw the first 3 innings of his start, and though he certainly wasn't pitching super great, he looked half way decent I thought. Sure he got some defensive help, and his command didn't look particularly sharp (threw strikes but missed up in the zone a lot), but I actually thought his curve looked decent and seemed to have batters sort of off balance just because of the odd angle it comes out at.

Considering the guy had pitched only one inning in more than a week, and considering that that inning was in relief, which is something he's not used to, I wasn't surprised that he didn't look real sharp. Who would in that situation? So far none of the emergency 5th starters have done any better, and they've all been jerked with messed up schedules too. I felt like the performance yesterday looked like it could have been any mediocre major league pitcher's performance considereing those circumstances.

It's too bad it had to end this way and that he'll never get another shot. Call me crazy, but with a few regularly scheduled starts, this guy could have turned into at least a .500 pitcher for the year, which, though not great, is much better than anything we've seen from any 5th starter in the last 2 years.