PDA

View Full Version : Lost in all of the #5 starter talk is that Jose struck out 4 times again

WSox8404
05-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Are you kidding me? I don't care what anyone says about him hitting home runs sometimes, this guy has to go. He cannot move runners over if his life depended on it, and striking out 3 to four times every game is starting to get annoying. We have enough home run hitters on this team. We don't need Valentin. Oh wait I forgot, we still have him because of his glove work.

Joel Perez
05-30-2004, 11:50 AM
WSox, wait a sec, and have a Shiner Bock. :gulp:

Valentin is hitting .268, slugging % of .512, and has been supposedly a good character player in the clubhouse, according to Baseball Weekly.

So he has the golden sombrero yesterday. Big deal. Tomorrow is another day.

I'm not about to give up on him yet. Now, if he was hitting around the Mendoza Line, this would be a different story.

TheRockinMT
05-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I am not giving up on Jose Valentin either, but I am concerned about the number of K's he has. Problem with something like shoulder trouble, vision or what? I don't know, but maybe it's just timing and that will come around. I don't want anything rash to happen here concerning Jose.

Joel Perez
05-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Jose has on average struck out once in every 4 or 5 at bats. This year, it's a 1:3 ratio.

That's what I call "an area of improvement", in the Corporate world.

BearSox
05-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Are you kidding me? I don't care what anyone says about him hitting home runs sometimes, this guy has to go. He cannot move runners over if his life depended on it, and striking out 3 to four times every game is starting to get annoying. We have enough home run hitters on this team. We don't need Valentin. Oh wait I forgot, we still have him because of his glove work.

MMMMMMM Shiner bock.... nothing beats a German Beer made in Texas :gulp:

SoxxoS
05-30-2004, 12:43 PM
If there is a thread about Jose, then there should be a thread for everyone's golden boy...Joe Crede.

soxtalker
05-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
If there is a thread about Jose, then there should be a thread for everyone's golden boy...Joe Crede.

There are threads all the time about Crede's lack of performance. Your frustration with Crede is well-founded, but he is expected to be our 3rd baseman of the future. There is plenty of up-side potential, and we're still in the mode of figuring out how to get him to that level. He may, of course, never get there, but most of us don't want to give up on him yet.

Jose, on the other hand, is nearing the end of his career, so the question whether he is, in fact, on a steep slope downward. Also, his $5M salary makes it difficult to either trade him or bench him.

Shoeless Joe
05-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Jose's decision to bat only lefty this season is part of his strikeout problem? I don't have all the stats in front of me but this can certainly be part of the problem. But history does suggest that Valentine strikeouts a lot. And when he faces a pitcher on a roll he tends to get overmatched. In the end it shouldn't matter. Jose has been solid this year and there's no reason to believe he won't get out of this funk.

JRIG
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm glad this post waited until Jose's first bad game in about a week, rather than in the middle of a stretch where he was 10-33 with 2 doubles and 2 HR.

So, since one game makes a man, if Jose goes 2-4 today, I expect you to come back and say we should give him a one-year contract extension.

Jose is 4th in the AL among SS in OPS and 6th in baseball. He's one of only four SS in ML history to have 4 straight 25+ HR seasons. Right now he's hitting .289/.337/.614 against RHP.

the_valenstache
05-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I'm glad this post waited until Jose's first bad game in about a week, rather than in the middle of a stretch where he was 10-33 with 2 doubles and 2 HR.

In all fairness, it was about a week ago that he struck out 7 straight times.

Right now, Jose's looking at 42 strikeouts in 127 at-bats, which is a K 33% of the time he holds a bat.

Not to mention that he's only walked 11 times.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Jose Antonio prove to everybody that he's one of the premier, power-hitting SS in the league.

But the frequency of his strikeouts and the situations in which they occur....

(insert vomiting-guy picture)

One positive way to slice it is that he's outhitting Jeter in almost every category this season!

Nard
05-30-2004, 03:04 PM
If you gonna complain about someone doing nothing but hitting the occasional homerun it's gotta be Crede. He is the only CONSISTENT dud on the offense this season. Valentin still has some pop in bat.

JRIG
05-30-2004, 04:38 PM

So, since one game makes a man, if Jose goes 2-4 today, I expect you to come back and say we should give him a one-year contract extension.

You can post that thread anytime...

FarWestChicago
05-30-2004, 05:13 PM
You can post that thread anytime... LMAO!! You gotta love some of our "every game a season makes" windsocks. :D:

kermittheefrog
05-30-2004, 06:28 PM
My bad, guess I should have wasted no time and posted this yesterday when people were whining about one bad game from Jose.

fquaye149
05-30-2004, 06:31 PM
sorry but he was still 1 for 3.

The homerun was nice, but after striking out for the day two days in a row, one home run isn't going to swing me around.

I would love to see him come around, but it's not like i'm convinced he's 180ed

JRIG
05-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

The homerun was nice, but after striking out for the day two days in a row, one home run isn't going to swing me around.

He didn't have to 180. He has the fourth best OPS in the AL among shortstops and is 6th in the majors.

Maybe if I say that enough people will notice.

HE IS DEMOLISHING RIGHT HANDED PITCHING.

But the one strikeout he had in the game two days ago was a killer, I agree.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:34 PM

.273 8 HR 25 RBI and you're telling me he's awful....what a joke.

CubKilla
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Valentin > Crede

fquaye149
05-30-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
.273 8 HR 25 RBI and you're telling me he's awful....what a joke.

I never said he was awful, just that his 1 for 3 game has not changed my opinion on him.

sorry, i just want to see more quality at bats from him before i will admit his bat helps the team more than harris and uribe.

if we can play uribe and willie and still have room in the lineup for him, great.

JRIG
05-30-2004, 06:40 PM

sorry, i just want to see more quality at bats from him before i will admit his bat helps the team more than harris and uribe.

Maybe if we were still in the dead ball era...

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM

if we can play uribe and willie and still have room in the lineup for him, great.

We can play Uribe, Willie, Valentin and Crede in the lineup all at once if we want to let alone Willie, Uribe and Jose. It isn't a matter of Jose vs Willie or Uribe, it's a matter of Jose vs Rowand and Timo

Nick@Nite
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
.273 8 HR 25 RBI

for the taters and ribbies, Manos is on a pace for 27 and 83... I'll take that in a heart beat.

I agree with MRKARNO.

LASOXFAN
05-30-2004, 06:49 PM
I love him
I hate him
I love him
I hate him
I love him
I hate him
I love him
I hate him
I love him
I hate him
I love him
I hate him

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
for the taters and ribbies, Manos is on a pace for 27 and 83... I'll take that in a heart beat.

Definately. He's on pace for his best year since 2000-2001 (take your pick on which was better). To get that kind of production from your 6th hitter is great. And Konerko at the 7th spot is doing awesome too. Our lineup might actually rival that of the Yankees top to bottom when it's all said and done.

fquaye149
05-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Maybe if we were still in the dead ball era...

because power is something this squad doesn't have enough of . . .

voodoochile
05-30-2004, 07:23 PM

When can you ever have too much power? :?:

fquaye149
05-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
When can you ever have too much power? :?:

last year

voodoochile
05-30-2004, 07:49 PM
last year

bull

kermittheefrog
05-30-2004, 08:23 PM

It's not like there is some kind of magical cut off point where your offense is so good that you can put bad hitters into the lineup and that doesn't effect you. Valentin is a great hitter for a shortstop, he belongs in the lineup.

misty60481
05-30-2004, 08:32 PM
we have to keep him no other left handed bat in line-up I am all for sending Harris to Charlotte and tell him to drink lots of Sammy juice and hit the gym put on about 20 pounds and see if he can hit the ball at lkeast to warning track he is pitiful as far as power goes

voodoochile
05-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
we have to keep him no other left handed bat in line-up I am all for sending Harris to Charlotte and tell him to drink lots of Sammy juice and hit the gym put on about 20 pounds and see if he can hit the ball at lkeast to warning track he is pitiful as far as power goes

*****! That's hilarious!

Lip Man 1
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Jose is one of the least of the Sox problems.

Lip