PDA

View Full Version : From Downey's column...

pudge
05-30-2004, 04:40 AM
"But if ever an opportunity presented itself on the South Side, it could be this season, when every club in the league appears vulnerable."

What the hell is this guy talking about? If the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels make the AL play-offs, that could be one of the most stacked post-seasons I've ever seen. Downey just continually amazes me with his moronic statements. I'm continually ashamed he's a Sox fan.

Hey, I'd love to make the play-offs, but if we do, it could be one of the toughest draws in recent memory. The top teams in the AL are loaded this year.

gosox41
05-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by pudge
"But if ever an opportunity presented itself on the South Side, it could be this season, when every club in the league appears vulnerable."

What the hell is this guy talking about? If the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels make the AL play-offs, that could be one of the most stacked post-seasons I've ever seen. Downey just continually amazes me with his moronic statements. I'm continually ashamed he's a Sox fan.

Hey, I'd love to make the play-offs, but if we do, it could be one of the toughest draws in recent memory. The top teams in the AL are loaded this year.

I didn't read the article yet, but those teams are vulnerable. They're really good, but there are issues:

1. Angels-Glaus maybe out fo the year. Salmon, Erstad, and Anderson on the DL. Anderson has arthritis in his back and there's no way of knowing hwo that will effect him. Colon ahs a 5.19 ERA and Ortiz has been shuffled to the bullpen and it's not because he's been really good as a starter.

2. Yankees-Offense ahs been inconsistent but is starting to come around. Starting pitching may be an issue. Vazquez is a stud, but there not as deep as in previous years when they had Clemens, Pettite and David Wells. Brown may be an injury waiting to happen.

3. Red Sox-Again, inconsistent offense. This team should be doing a lot more damage on a moe consistent basis offensive then they are now. Lowe has been lousy. Pedro is good, but only for about 100 pitches or so. Schilling is great, of course. And do I even need to mention how great of a year Foulke is having? (Remember I was against the Foulke trade from the Sox, something I've beaten to death and will continue to beat to death.) Nomar and Nixon haven't come back from injury yet.

So basically these teams do have holes. Are they better the the Sox when healthy? Yes. But the healthiest team is the Yankees and they're not setting the league on fire.

Bob

jeremyb1
05-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
2. Yankees-Offense ahs been inconsistent but is starting to come around. Starting pitching may be an issue.

3. Red Sox-Again, inconsistent offense. This team should be doing a lot more damage on a moe consistent basis offensive then they are now. Lowe has been lousy. Pedro is good, but only for about 100 pitches or so. Nomar and Nixon haven't come back from injury yet.

Just give them a month or two, the inconsistency and injuries will pass. Just wait for the Yanks to make a few deadline deals. These are two of the best teams I can ever recall. I'm a fan of saying anyone can win in the playoffs but it's going to be doubly hard this season. That's part of what scares me about investing a lot in deadline deals. If either of these clubs are hot come September it may prove to be futile.

rahulsekhar
05-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Just give them a month or two, the inconsistency and injuries will pass. Just wait for the Yanks to make a few deadline deals. These are two of the best teams I can ever recall. I'm a fan of saying anyone can win in the playoffs but it's going to be doubly hard this season. That's part of what scares me about investing a lot in deadline deals. If either of these clubs are hot come September it may prove to be futile.

So the answer is to not take a shot? That seems quite defeatist to me. Who's to say that WE won't be the club getting hot in September? I'd put our O up against any in the league when hot, and our pitching is certainly on par with the Yanks. Add a solid starter (although I'd like someonebetter than Garcia), and I think we have as good a shot as ANYONE.

There's never any guarantees, when you have a shot now, you have to take it (although you do it smartly and don't fully mortgage the future of the org - i.e. don't trade too many of your top guys).

batmanZoSo
05-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pudge

I don't think the Angels are that tough, especially with the injuries. They're a slugging team, they can be shut down for a long period of time.

The Yankees are the same way only more extreme. Not built for playoff ball.

And then the Red Sox will find a way to choke.

So there, we win :smile:

fquaye149
05-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

yeah the yankees look really good on paper. where have we heard that before?

until they can find 2 dominant starting pitchers instead of just 1 i'm not sold

WSox8404
05-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, he also wants us to try to pursue Russ Ortiz who is 1 and 4 with a 7.5 ERA. Great pickup that would be.

pudge
05-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

So basically these teams do have holes. Are they better the the Sox when healthy? Yes. But the healthiest team is the Yankees and they're not setting the league on fire.

Bob

Well that's just it, these teams have a LOT of time to get healthy. If Downey was making this comment in September, it might make sense. To say it now is just odd.

Remember, the Yankees rarely look as good as advertised in the regular season. The Red Sox are playing very well despite their injuries, which means they might get even better. I don't know about the Angels, but if they get some players back from the DL, they'll be awesome again too.

It seems obvious to me the cream of the crop in the AL is better than it has been in a long time. I'm not saying we can't compete, I'm just saying I thought Downey's comment was very shortsighted.

Saracen
05-30-2004, 01:58 PM
The Yankees are weaker than over the past several years. They're aging, the don't have the pitching, they don't have the chemistry.

It's more a collection of big name guys who don't play as a team now than the well-constructed good group of components they had 3 or 4 years ago.

And don't dismiss the A-Rod Effect, where any team A-Rod plays on fails to live up to their potential.