PDA

View Full Version : The Frank Campos Watch

MRKARNO
05-29-2004, 11:05 PM
This spring, the White Sox invited Frank Campos (right-handed 31 years old, 6'0" 175 pounds) to Spring Training. He did not make the team, but the White Sox still own his rights. Here are his numbers in Campeche of the Mexican League:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/Stats/stats_Imex_cam.shtml

9-2 W-L
1.26 ERA
93 IP in 12 GS
7.75 IP/start
0.87 WHIP
74 K/21 BB
.183 BAA
.227 OBP against
7.16 K/9

League Rank:

Wins 1 (tie)
ERA 1
Strikeouts 1

Now these are very good numbers against a talent level which I am unaware of. I would guess that the Mexican league talent level is about AA level though, maybe as low as High A, but the fact is that he is dominating this level of talent and it's probably time to at least have Charlotte buy his contract and see what he does against AAA hitting. Now 93 innings is a LOT at this point of the year and he's going about 8 innings on average, but he might just be so dominant that he is able to be really efficient at that level. It's time to legitimitely consider this guy so we can allow Munoz to develop properly. He might not be a full season option bc of the amount of IP already if he hasnt been efficient (but I bet he's been uber-efficient).

Campos did pitch only 1.2 ST innings in which he gave up 8 hits and 5 runs, all earned, which is sort of a disclaimer, but there is always the possiblity that he has regained something he had lost in ST.

Now that Wright has failed. Now that Diaz has failed. Now that Cotts has failed. And now that Rauch has failed, it's time to think outside the realm of normalness for the short term at least. I think Frank Campos could be our man.

OEO Magglio
05-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I really hate this merry go round of 5th starters and hopefully soon Kenny can make a deal. But Campos... why not, it's probably better to give him a shot then to mess with Munoz right now. Probably wouldn't do much but the only other option is Munoz and it's probably better to let him get some more time starting in the minors. I honestly don't know what to think of this 5th starter spot anymore, maybe I could be the 5th starter, I couldn't be much worse then Wright.

A. Cavatica
05-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks MRKARNO for remembering Campos. At least the scouts won't have a book on him -- might get a little of the Shingo/Salome Barojas effect.

MRKARNO
05-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Thanks MRKARNO for remembering Campos. At least the scouts won't have a book on him -- might get a little of the Shingo/Salome Barojas effect.

The reason i remembered is that Ozzie said something to the effect of "I might have to call (Frank) Campos over from Mexico if this keeps up" after the Cotts game last week.

Chisoxfn
05-30-2004, 02:54 AM
I watched Campos pitch this spring and he was awful. I usually am pretty patient with players, but after one outing, words couldn't describe the performance I saw.

He was just a pure junkballer.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I watched Campos pitch this spring and he was awful. I usually am pretty patient with players, but after one outing, words couldn't describe the performance I saw.

He was just a pure junkballer.

Well he's just absolutely killing everyone in the Mexican League. I think we have a responsibility at this point to send him to Charlotte to see what he can do against AAA level hitting

iwannago
05-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The reason i remembered is that Ozzie said something to the effect of "I might have to call (Frank) Campos over from Mexico if this keeps up" after the Cotts game last week.

Don't you think it might have been a tongue in cheek comment? :gulp:

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by iwannago
Don't you think it might have been a tongue in cheek comment? :gulp:

We're that desperate though

Chisoxfn
05-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well he's just absolutely killing everyone in the Mexican League. I think we have a responsibility at this point to send him to Charlotte to see what he can do against AAA level hitting
Charlottes pitching staff has been pretty good though and I don't know if they have room. I'd much rather see Jeff Bajenaru promoted before they go with someone like Campos.

However, he could fit in at Birmingham who could use another starter due to all their injury problems.

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Charlottes pitching staff has been pretty good though and I don't know if they have room. I'd much rather see Jeff Bajenaru promoted before they go with someone like Campos.

However, he could fit in at Birmingham who could use another starter due to all their injury problems.

Well I guess the point was that he has to come to the Sox system so that we can accurately gauge how good or bad he really is.

Rex Hudler
05-30-2004, 03:19 PM
The Sox own the rights to his contract. He is just on loan to the Mexican League. The Mexican League is considered AAA although I don't think it is quite the level of the International or PCL.

Feliz Diaz' numbers are just as good against at least arguably better competition. To me, before they continue with this merry-go-round, they should probably admit that they gave up on Diaz too soon and give him a few more shots.