PDA

View Full Version : Rick Helling

Mohoney
05-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Apparantly the Twins have given him permission to talk to other teams and won't stand in his way if he finds a Major League job.

Maybe we can use him as a 5th starter until a deal can be struck in July for somebody better. If this guy goes 2-3 or 3-3 with 43+ IP in about 8 starts in June and July, he'd certainly be a welcome addition.

Can Helling be at least a mediocre pitcher at the Major League level anymore? I think he's worth a gamble for at least 3 starts. What have we got to lose at this point?

batmanZoSo
05-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
Apparantly the Twins have given him permission to talk to other teams and won't stand in his way if he finds a Major League job.

Maybe we can use him as a 5th starter until a deal can be struck in July for somebody better. If this guy goes 2-3 or 3-3 with 43+ IP in about 8 starts in June and July, he'd certainly be a welcome addition.

Can Helling be at least a mediocre pitcher at the Major League level anymore? I think he's worth a gamble for at least 3 starts. What have we got to lose at this point?

Hell no. No pun intended. We need someone who's at least on Buehrle's level, no fill-ins. Helling wouldn't be much of an improvement over Diaz.

Mohoney
05-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Hell no. No pun intended. We need someone who's at least on Buehrle's level, no fill-ins. Helling wouldn't be much of an improvement over Diaz.

At this point, even the slightest improvement is good news to me.

I think we have to wait it out until July. Then, the market will get a little more flooded with starting pitching help.

Seattle would probably want Jeremy Reed in any deal bringing us Freddy Garcia. By July, they might not have the luxury to ask for this much.

I'm not enamored with Helling, either. But he costs NOTHING in terms of prospects at this point. We will have to overpay for anything else right now.

SoxFan76
05-29-2004, 10:37 PM
What about Wunsch and Reed for Garcia and a/some pitching prospects? I think outfield prospects are covered, and Reed isn't even a natural CF. It would be rough to see Reed go, but you gotta give to get. And from what I hear, the two guys in AA are the real deal.

SoxxoS
05-29-2004, 10:38 PM
:glove :sean :thegreat :bionic :butter

Mohoney
05-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
:glove :sean :thegreat :bionic :butter

I don't get it. Please to explain?

SoxFan76
05-29-2004, 10:42 PM
I think that is his dream rotation.

batmanZoSo
05-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
At this point, even the slightest improvement is good news to me.

I think we have to wait it out until July. Then, the market will get a little more flooded with starting pitching help.

Seattle would probably want Jeremy Reed in any deal bringing us Freddy Garcia. By July, they might not have the luxury to ask for this much.

I'm not enamored with Helling, either. But he costs NOTHING in terms of prospects at this point. We will have to overpay for anything else right now.

If anything we should just bring Diaz himself back until we get our guy in July. That guy hasn't lost a game yet in Charlotte, he must be good. And he was obviously mishandled here going on 12 days rest and 3 days rest. Bring someone up and give him 5 starts. Within that time frame any ability will surely show itself. You gotta give these guys a jitters-curve. I wouldn't have supported this a month ago, but after what happened today it's different.

We're gonna have to live with the 5th starter abyss for one more month...I'm not for getting a big leaguer like Helling who's 99% guaranteed to suck. At least by using a prospect of ours, we're making progress--seeing what he's got, giving him experience for a possible permanent rotation spot next year, etc.

batmanZoSo
05-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Who's the middle black guy?

SoxFan76
05-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Who's the middle black guy?

I was wondering the same thing.

FarWestChicago
05-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Who's the middle black guy? Lorenzo Barcelo, before his arm fell off. :(:

Mohoney
05-30-2004, 03:18 AM
If anything we should just bring Diaz himself back until we get our guy in July. That guy hasn't lost a game yet in Charlotte, he must be good. And he was obviously mishandled here going on 12 days rest and 3 days rest. Bring someone up and give him 5 starts. Within that time frame any ability will surely show itself. You gotta give these guys a jitters-curve. I wouldn't have supported this a month ago, but after what happened today it's different.

We're gonna have to live with the 5th starter abyss for one more month...I'm not for getting a big leaguer like Helling who's 99% guaranteed to suck. At least by using a prospect of ours, we're making progress--seeing what he's got, giving him experience for a possible permanent rotation spot next year, etc.

You want Diaz? Fine by me.

I just sent this Helling idea up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes it. I think he's a servicable 5th starter, but I can understand the fact that you want to give one of our prospects a look. The only thing I don't like about this idea of using one of our prospects is wasting minor-league options. That being said:

If you don't want Helling:

I'm willing to give Diaz three more starts in June.

I'm willing to give Rauch three more starts in June.

I'm willing to give Stewart three starts and give him a look.

I just want our farm system to have some semblance of stability, because I perceive it to be fairly weak on top-level talent after we lost Ring, Francisco, et al. Maybe we can retool the farm by trading Wunsch, since it's fairly obvious that he has lost favor within the organization? Left-handed relief help must be worth something to somebody.