PDA

View Full Version : Four Man Rotation

Gil1957
05-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Instead of giving away a game every fifth start, why not just go back to the old days of four man rotation? Baseball Digest had a great article on the subject a few months ago and the consensus of the article is injury-wise there is no real difference.

Just a thought.

SoxBoy14
05-29-2004, 07:18 PM
I think we should have a 5th starter just incase one of our pitchers gets injured we aren't in trouble for the rest of the season. Maybe we should just have our fifth starter be our bullpen?

Whitesox029
05-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
I think we should have a 5th starter just incase one of our pitchers gets injured we aren't in trouble for the rest of the season. Maybe we should just have our fifth starter be our bullpen?
This isn't such a bad idea provided the bullpen continues to dominate. A four man rotation translates into lots of starts on 3 days' rest, which means sox starters will have to limit their innings. That means the bullpen will have to suck up those innings. Right now, yes, go for it, but if the bullpen were to falter, we might find ourselves in a slump.

jeremyb1
05-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Gil1957
Instead of giving away a game every fifth start, why not just go back to the old days of four man rotation? Baseball Digest had a great article on the subject a few months ago and the consensus of the article is injury-wise there is no real difference.

Just a thought.

I think it's a good idea, the problem is Ozzie could no longer leave the starters out there for 120 or probably even 110 pitches. High pitch counts and the four man would be a disaster.

Railsplitter
05-29-2004, 10:27 PM
The Sox have three off days in the next ten days, so maybe they can put the fifth startedr on the back burner for a few games.

WLL1855
05-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
The Sox have three off days in the next ten days, so maybe they can put the fifth starter on the back burner for a few games.

I'd say a four man rotation is very likely for the next couple of weeks. I thought about this a little at work on Friday and it appeared the Sox could go with the four man until June 19th. That Saturday against the Expos we'd be back to fifth man roulette for the start. With so many days off in the near future, I hope Ozzie goes for it.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Ozzie would be a complete and absolute idiot to go with anything other than a 4-man rotation the next couple of weeks. Not that something like this couldn't be expected from a Sox manager. :smile:

Complete and absolute idiot --------> :jerry

Brian26
05-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Ozzie would be a complete and absolute idiot to go with anything other than a 4-man rotation the next couple of weeks. Not that something like this couldn't be expected from a Sox manager. :smile:

Complete and absolute idiot --------> :jerry

I just hope he doesn't pull a "Torborg" and burn out our arms before the 4th of July. Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland are in the Top 10 in the leagues for pitches thrown so far.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Brian:

According to Donn Pall in his WSI interview the claim that Jeff Torborg burned out pitchers arms is a myth. Feel free to read the interview yourself.

Lip

Brian26
05-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Brian:

According to Donn Pall in his WSI interview the claim that Jeff Torborg burned out pitchers arms is a myth. Feel free to read the interview yourself.

Lip

I've read it, Lip. It was fabulous.

I was actually refering to what Torborg did to the Marlins staff when he was there in 2002/2003. A lot of people blame him for the injuries to the starting pitchers: Dempster and Burnett...all of his starting pitchers threw tons and tons of innings. Ozzie was a coach under Torborg last year.

Railsplitter
05-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by WLL1855
I'd say a four man rotation is very likely for the next couple of weeks. I thought about this a little at work on Friday and it appeared the Sox could go with the four man until June 19th. That Saturday against the Expos we'd be back to fifth man roulette for the start. With so many days off in the near future, I hope Ozzie goes for it.

Here how it would work: Today; Schoenweiss, off day tomorrow,
Tuesday; Loaiza, Wedenesday; Buerhle, off day Thrusday. Friday; Garland, Saturday; Schoe, June 6; Loaiza, Off day June 7, June 8; Buerhle, June 9; Garland, June 10; Schoe, June 11; Loaiza. After that it gets a bit muddy. Buehrle could work on four days' rest, but both are night games, but on the 13th, Garland would pitching a day game four days after a night game. The 14th is an off day, but you'd have Schoe, Loaiza, and Buehrle oitching the series vs the Fish in Miami