PDA

View Full Version : Maggs Injury more serious?

joeynach
05-29-2004, 09:55 AM
This is getting more serious than we all though. Something seems funny. They said he was going to play yesterday then scratched him from the lineup. Now hes out again today. This is looking more serious than just a couple days.

A. Cavatica
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Borchard's red hot, and a 15-day stint as an injury replacement would be a great opportunity to give him another tryout without a lot of pressure. Since Maggs hasn't gone on the DL, I think they're just being cautious.

DrCrawdad
05-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Borchard's red hot, and a 15-day stint as an injury replacement would be a great opportunity to give him another tryout without a lot of pressure. Since Maggs hasn't gone on the DL, I think they're just being cautious.

A left-handed (switch hitting) outfielder would be useful plus one who's a good glove/good arm.

Call him up now!

duke of dorwood
05-29-2004, 10:16 AM
It is Borchard's time-it makes us a deeper team.

duke of dorwood
05-29-2004, 10:17 AM
ANd, if Mike Jackson is hurt and goes on DL-there's the spot

Hangar18
05-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
This is getting more serious than we all though. Something seems funny. They said he was going to play yesterday then scratched him from the lineup. Now hes out again today. This is looking more serious than just a couple days.

SOX taking a page out of the Cubs Injury Propoganda List

Hangar18
05-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Since the Cubune Refuses to post a MAGGS WATCH,
someone here should start one ..............

SEALgep
05-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
This is getting more serious than we all though. Something seems funny. They said he was going to play yesterday then scratched him from the lineup. Now hes out again today. This is looking more serious than just a couple days. If he were ready to go today, I doubt they would let him on a wet field.

SEALgep
05-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
SOX taking a page out of the Cubs Injury Propoganda List Not exactly, they haven't lied yet. Guillen readily admitted he thought the same thing about Jose and he ended up on the DL. Words that probably wouldn't have been used if he were "95% (Hendry)." Besides he was running the field yesterday under observation. I agree that this doesn't sound good, but it appears to me it is precautionary. We'll see.

A.T. Money
05-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Get Maggs to 100%. Since he's been out on Wednesday, the Sox are 3-0.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2004, 11:38 AM
As long as the weather remains cool and damp why risk it? Although one of the papers today said the calf was still bothering him a little bit.

Lip

Frank the Tank
05-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Although I honestly think the benching is strictly precautionary and expect to see him back in the line-up very soon, I wouldn't mind Maggs going on the 15 day DL for 4 reasons:

1. Make absolutely sure he is 100%
2. Team seems to be playing fine w/o him for now
3. Maybe get Borchard in and try to build some trade value
4. If Mags' numbers go down a little this year becuase of a brief DL stint, we should be able to sign him for the long term contract cheaper.

TheBull19
05-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank

4. If Mags' numbers go down a little this year becuase of a brief DL stint, we should be able to sign him for the long term contract cheaper.

That's pretty unethical - should be right up Reinsdorf's alley. Maybe if he reads this he'll offer you an internship. :gulp:

beckett21
05-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Get Maggs to 100%. Since he's been out on Wednesday, the Sox are 3-0.

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
As long as the weather remains cool and damp why risk it? Although one of the papers today said the calf was still bothering him a little bit.

Lip

I agree 100%.

What's the rush? Sure no doubt we are better with him, but better to let it heal fully than let it linger on and risk a prolonged abscence.

The way things stand right now, there's no reason to rush him back. The investment of a few games now will go a long way later. The offense has been fine so far without him, might as well ride the streak.

beckett21
05-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
SOX taking a page out of the Cubs Injury Propoganda List

And so what if they are?

No need to expose all your weaknesses to the opposition if you can avoid it. Keep them guessing.

It's called strategy.

AnkleSox
05-29-2004, 12:27 PM
As much as I love Maggs as a player and a white sox staple, maybe our success without him is a hint that we can clear up millions of dollars on our payroll and still do just as well...

iwannago
05-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by AnkleSox
As much as I love Maggs as a player and a white sox staple, maybe our success without him is a hint that we can clear up millions of dollars on our payroll and still do just as well...

Clear up payroll to get 2 or 3 mediocre players? :?:

habibharu
05-29-2004, 12:47 PM
we could really use maggs today. 16-35 career against sele

pudge
05-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Wow, we've come a long way from demanding Maggs suck it up and play everyday to now feeling okay about him being on the 15-day DL... how quickly things change after a few wins!

Chrisaway
05-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey at least he didn't hurt himself sneezing :D:

guillen4life13
05-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I think it's funny how when the cubs do something, we call it "Cubs Injury Propaganda," but when the Sox do it, it's called "strategy."

I'm not being critical or meaning this in any negative way. I'm just the bystander who thinks it's funny.

pearso66
05-29-2004, 08:38 PM
I saw a report that he won't be playing tomorrow (sunday) and that he will be reevaluated tuesday. He had an MRI on Friday and it showed nothing wrong, but ilke i said, he is going to be tested again tuesday.

Maggs MRI (http://sports.excite.com/news/05292004/v7336.html)

soxtalker
05-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I saw a report that he won't be playing tomorrow (sunday) and that he will be reevaluated tuesday. He had an MRI on Friday and it showed nothing wrong, but ilke i said, he is going to be tested again tuesday.

If that is true, he will have been out about a week. What is the shortest time that a player can be designated as on the disabled list? (15 days?)

pearso66
05-29-2004, 08:49 PM
yes, 15 day DL is the shortest, although if they put him on, they can make it retroactive to the day he was hurt, so he would only be on the DL for another week + 1 day

Mohoney
05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
I think that the brisk weather had a hand in dictating this. I think that they are smart to wait until Tuesday's game in Oakland (and, hopefully, some warm weather) to play Magglio.

doublem23
05-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Can't believe no one posted this yet. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040529&content_id=756049&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

beckett21
05-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Can't believe no one posted this yet. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040529&content_id=756049&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

If there is any doubt at all, probably better just to rest him another week. That would be better than aggravating the injury and missing serious time.

doublem23
05-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
If there is any doubt at all, probably better just to rest him another week. That would be better than aggravating the injury and missing serious time.

Agreed, and if they don't make a descion about Maggs until Tuesday, he can be retroacted back about a week.

Also, I don't really think the Sox are keeping Ordonez's injury on the hush-hush, I think they are just being cautious. No need to rush him back when the bats are smokin'.