PDA

View Full Version : From the department of beaten dead horses

jabrch
05-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Are there still people out there who won't give KW credit for having done a very good job building a competitive club on a sub-70mm budget?

Is there anyone who thinks KW is done building this team?

Is PK so terrible?

Is it possible that Elo and Uribe aren't flukes?

Is it possible that Ozzie is actually going to be a very good manager?

Is Koch the absolute worst closer in the league still - whom we should give away to anyone who would take him?

Does it really make sense to pay one player 25% of our teams budget next year - no matter who he is?

And, like everyone else, no matter how good things look right now - is there any reason not to be cautiously optimistic at this point in time?

voodoochile
05-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Are there still people out there who won't give KW credit for having done a very good job building a competitive club on a sub-70mm budget?

Is PK so terrible?

Is Koch the absolute worst closer in the league still - whom we should give away to anyone who would take him?

Does it really make sense to pay one player 25% of our teams budget next year - no matter who he is?

And, like everyone else, no matter how good things look right now - is there any reason not to be cautiously optimistic at this point in time?

Not me.

Not me

No - as long as he is swinging for the fences he is fine.

I hope so and it looks good. I still cannot believe the Sox got uribe for Aaron Miles.

I am firmly on the Ozzie bandwagon.

No, and I am happy for him. He always struck me as a good guy. Nice to see him getting it back together.

Not really, but I still think the answer is to up the budget, not dump the players.

Cautiously Optimistic? Why the qualifier? GO SOX!

Dadawg_77
05-29-2004, 11:31 AM

Is PK so terrible?

Hopefully not, the team still has some flaws.

He isn't worth what he is getting paid, plus there are better alternatives out there.

It is possible, but E Lo is a stronger case then Uribe. Major improvement from sub par .300 OBP in Col to what he is producing currently.

Yeah, especially since he hasn't really followed through with what he said his strategy was in the press conference.

No there are worse out there but Koch is in the bottom half.

So we aren't going to sign Mags with that statement.

There is always reasons to be optimistic from the time pitcher and catchers report till July. If you team is still hanging around, you can be optimistic till the end

gosox41
05-30-2004, 09:11 AM

Is PK so terrible?

Answers in order of your questions:

1. Minimal credit. The AL Central was a weak division from 2000-2003 and very very winnable. The Sox have always been one of the top spending teams in the Central and outspending the Twins hasn't equated to any division titles yet.

2. I Don't think KW is done, but hopefully he won't wreck it with one of his big trades where he overpays.

3. PK is highly overpaid for what he does. PK's OPS in his best season is still worse then Frank's in his worst year. In 2002 PK was ranked 7th in the AL among first baseman with his OPS. He may not be terrible but he is hihgly overpaid. so much for using a tight budget constraint wisely for KW.

4. Elo may not be a fluke, but no one knew he'd be this good. The fact is if you throw enough sticky sutff against the wall something is bound to stick. One has, but it's not like anyone here predicted he'd win 20 last year. The Sox have also bought in a ton of veteran FA pitchers who neve made the team or amount to nothing. It's been 48 games for Uribe, I'm not ready to anoint him a superstar yet.

5. Ozzie has been better then I thoght.

6. Koch may not be the worse...right now but he makes me nervous every time he comes in. Also, he single handedly kept this team out of the playoffs last season. How would things be different now if the Sox went to the playoffs with E-Lo, Buehrle and Colon. Maybe they would have advance and gotten more playoff revenue. Maybe thered be more advanced tickets sold this year. Maybe the 2004 team would have a higher payroll and have a 5th starter since KW is inept at drafting and developing one. But we'll never know. Thank you Billy-boy.

7. There's no reason to have one player making 25% of the payroll.

8. I am getting to the point of being catiously optimistic, but I still have doubts of whether URibe and and Schoneweis will keep this up, the Sox getting a 5th starter, prolonged offensive slumps, etc.

Bob

MRKARNO
05-30-2004, 01:25 PM

Is PK so terrible?

1. I gave him credit before the season even started

2. There's no way he's done building this team. If it were up to him we'd have gotten a 5th starter a month ago.

3. No, but whenever he's down, people are going to look to last year all the time and say "Here we go again." Last year set a terrible bottom point that no one thought he could get to and that's a huge difference between the 2002 and 2003 seasons in terms of performance

4. Uribe is only 24 and just because he wasn't able to do anything in 3 years of Coors Field doesnt mean crap. He was still developing at that point and is stil developing. He finally turned the corner for the better this year. Loaiza's stuff is just so good that if he's got the Cutter working and the 94 MPH fastball, there's no reason to believe he cant repeat last year.

5. Very Possible. I was in favor of the Ozzie signing. I felt that at least we would have a manager as upset as us when they lost. I am still a tad bit worried about the pitch counts, but as long as they're not throwing 120 (my point of freaking out), then I'm fine with 114, and maybe even 117. Cooper isnt an idiot and he knows what the pitchers can do. Ozzie calling that meeting when we were winning was very smart.

6. Worse Closers than Koch in 2004: Troy Percival, Jason Isringhausen, Matt Herges, Shawn Chacon, Aurthur Rhodes, Rocky Biddle, Jeremy Affeldt, Jose Jimenez, Joe Borowski and Scott Service.

Koch's ERA 4.42
K/9 10.31
K/BB 2.33
WHIP 1.36

That K/9 is very encouraging

7. Well it does matter who he is. Even at this point of his career I would give a quarter of the payroll to Frank if we had to. Maggs is not someone who I would do that for. 12 mil should really be the limit for him.

8. Besides Joe Crede and the 5th Starter situation, I dont see why there's any reason not to be extremely optimistic about our chances this year.