PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf vs Moreno

illiniwhitesox
05-29-2004, 09:12 AM
What has Moreno done since he has taken ownership of the Angels?

Well he's lowered ticket prices and food prices, marketed to lower to middle-class families, created a family-friendly environment at the ballpark, had his team and organization actively get involved in community projects and courted the Hispanic community.

As an owner, Moreno has been a gracious and courteous presence towards the media and fans.

What's the result? Well the Angels rank 3rd in average home attendance in the AL.

What has Moreno done with the extra gate receipts? He has obtained the services of Guerrero (future Hall of Famer) and Colon. The fact that the Angels are in first place, despite the loss of Erstadt, Salmon, Gload and Anderson is mind-boggling to me. Think about how good they will be when the get them back. Plus they have added Mondesi of late.

Were not the Angels a small market team in a large market? Didn't they suffer from a media coverage bias that made them feel like a poor step child to the beloved Dodgers?

Compare Moreno to Reinsdorf? Who do you think is a better owner - wait, I retract that question as it is too easy to answer.

elrod
05-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Good points all. A recent World Series Championship helped a bit too. But Moreno has done a masterful job marketing the Angels. One thing he's done is made the Angels more than just Orange County's team. He's made them Southern California's team. Think of if the White Sox were not just the team of the South Side and South Suburbs of Chicago. Reinsdorf could make them the team of all northern Illinois and Indiana.

Hangar18
05-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox

Well he's lowered ticket prices and food prices, marketed to lower to middle-class families, created a family-friendly environment at the ballpark, had his team and organization actively get involved in community projects and courted the Hispanic community.

As an owner, Moreno has been a gracious and courteous presence towards the media and fans.

What has Moreno done with the extra gate receipts? He has obtained the services of Guerrero (future Hall of Famer) and Colon.

Were not the Angels a small market team in a large market? Didn't they suffer from a media coverage bias that made them feel like a poor step child to the beloved Dodgers?

Compare Moreno to Reinsdorf? Who do you think is a better owner - wait, I retract that question as it is too easy to answer.

Reinsdorf has RAISED ticket and Beer Prices. Hasnt been Gracious and Courteous to fans.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2004, 11:43 AM
There is no comparison between the two.

Lip

owensmouth
05-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Arte Moreno bought a world series championship team for a below market rate price. He has invested heavily in latin players, attempting to become the latino ballclub of southern California, while also appealing to all baseball fans in the region.

This is his first full season as the owner and he's trying to make a splash. Whether he is successful will depend on whether or not several of his injured ballplayers can make it back this year.

If you spend a little time reading the LA Times online, you will begin to appreciate that the Angels have much the same problem as the White Sox. They are forever overshawded in this town by the Dodgers.

However, the Angels do have one advantage that the White Sox do not have... Los Angeles always cheers for a winner. As long as the Angels are up and the Dodgers are stumbling around, the Anaheim crew will draw.

In Chicago, you are either a Sox fan of a Cubs fan. You have one T-Shirt, and it's either black or blue.

In LA, if the Angels win regularly and the Dodgers do not, the Dodger fans will go out and buy a red T-shirt and wear it over their blue one. But beware, it the Dodgers start winning again, the red shirts will disappear.

Two things to keep in mind: In his first couple of years in control of the White Sox, JR was also actively involved with acquiring players. Also, next year will be the first full season for the new Dodgers owner and he too has vowed to be active in acquiring talent.

If all the spending doesn't bring the Angels another championship, what will be Moreno's response? Will he get rid of more of his Anglo players? (Glaus, for example).

Finally, is he trying to build upthe team just to sell it for a large profit? That is a question that no one has asked.

TornLabrum
05-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I thought Disney still owned the Angels when they won it.

illiniwhitesox
05-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Two things to keep in mind: In his first couple of years in control of the White Sox, JR was also actively involved with acquiring players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Maybe it's just me, but all I can remember is the White Flag trade when we were three games out. Thanks for reminding me that JR plays the market so hard.

rahulsekhar
05-29-2004, 02:03 PM
The true test will be what he does in about 3 years. As I remember, Tom Hicks also "invested" in players and reaped some attendance benefits for a while. But then over time he became much more cost-conscious. It's been seen again and again, new owner comes in, make sa splash, gets attendance boost. But rarely if ever does it last.

Before comparing the 2, methinks Arte needs to be given a few more years to see how he's handling the club.

TDog
05-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Marketing to families was going on when Disney owned the team. There was (and I assume still is) as large section where beer is forbidden. They had baseball-themed youth activities on the leftfield concourse. Some around here would call it a circus, but kids love it. I hope Moreno has abolished the stadium-club-like seating behind home plate. Regular fans used to be able to sit behind homeplate. When I was there in 1999, you had to be in the upper crust of season ticket holders or have some sort of a time share even to walk behind home plate on the way to your seat.

Marketing baseball in Southern California, though, is very different from marketing baseball in Chicago. There are so many transplants from other areas that you don't have the fierce going-back-generations fandom issues. You also have a substantial number of local people who only come out to see their favorite team visit.

The Dodgers are the Dodgers and have a special aura, but Angels fans don't whine incessantly about reasons not to go to the ballpark.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Ed Herrmann told me over the winter that Moreno has made such an impact in Southern California the Angels now expect to outdraw the Dodgers. Ed also said they drew 100,000 fans for the three day first annual "Angelfest." They had so many fans come that they moved the whole thing out into the parking lot next to Edison International Field.

I don't think JR had that kind of impact during his first few years although he did acquire two talented players every season through 1983.

Then it stopped...

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ed Herrmann told me over the winter that Moreno has made such an impact in Southern California the Angels now expect to outdraw the Dodgers. Ed also said they drew 100,000 fans for the three day first annual "Angelfest." They had so many fans come that they moved the whole thing out into the parking lot next to Edison International Field.

I don't think JR had that kind of impact during his first few years although he did acquire two talented players every season through 1983.

Then it stopped...

Lip

They won the world series 19 months ago. Before that they were no different from us..overshadowed, drew mediocre crowds.