PDA

View Full Version : Nice job by the Cubune today


JRIG
05-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Apparently the Cubs losing two games to the last place team in their division and falling back 2 1/2 games is about 3 times as important as the Sox defeating the team with the best record in baseball and moving 2 games in front of the Twins.

But hey, at least we got slightly more space than the Pacers/Pistons game. Though that game did get a bigger picture...

TornLabrum
05-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Apparently the Cubs losing two games to the last place team in their division and falling back 2 1/2 games is about 3 times as important as the Sox defeating the team with the best record in baseball and moving 2 games in front of the Twins.

But hey, at least we got slightly more space than the Pacers/Pistons game. Though that game did get a bigger picture...

I'm sure the Sox got an equal number of stories. As far as the NBA is concerned, just listen to ESPN-1000 or The Score, and you can see that Chicago is a hotbed of interest in the NBA right now.

SSN721
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Just like I always though, I knew you guys were full of it, there is no bias in this town

illiniwhitesox
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
I cancelled my subscription.

Today was the final straw. Time to get a better paper like the NY Times or Washington Post. The only reason why I subscribed to the Cubune was b/c of local sports coverage.

If I get the Times, I'm looking forward to a period when the Mets are in first and the Yankees are struggling in second or third to see how their sports section alters coverage.

JRIG
05-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm sure the Sox got an equal number of stories. As far as the NBA is concerned, just listen to ESPN-1000 or The Score, and you can see that Chicago is a hotbed of interest in the NBA right now.

Actually, it looks like the Cubs out-storied the Sox 4-3 (I'll wait for Hangar for the official numbers). There's one story with a picture of Willie Harris and Casey Kotchman, but the story is just about how the Angels and Cubs have both had injuries this season. Nothing about the Sox.

elrod
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't know. Sometimes I get more of a kick out of reading about utter Cub collapses than I do out of a Sox victory. Hmmm. Sox win? Ho hum. We ARE the best team in Chicago. What's new?

voodoochile
05-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I cancelled my subscription.

Today was the final straw. Time to get a better paper like the NY Times or Washington Post. The only reason why I subscribed to the Cubune was b/c of local sports coverage.

If I get the Times, I'm looking forward to a period when the Mets are in first and the Yankees are struggling in second or third to see how their sports section alters coverage.

You can read that stuff for free on-line anyway. Don't waste your money if it is just for the sports coverage. Sign up on the tribs website and read whatever your heart desires and never pay a dime or have to deal with flubbie stories at all - just don't click their links.

compy75
05-29-2004, 10:57 AM
I go the onlien route and generally read the articles when they get posted. It's alot less costly. :smile:

jackbrohamer
05-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I was disappointed that the Cubune didn't have more Ligue coverage today. Maybe tomorrow.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Well, isn't it obvious that the Cubune sports editors have decided that the implosion of their Lovable Losers is more newsworthy than anything the first-place Chicago White Sox could ever possibly do, including a dramatic come from behind victory over the best team in the American League at home in Chicago in front of several thousand Chicagoans, many of whom doubtlessly subscribe to the Chicago Cubune.

To there way of thinking, it makes no ****ing difference what the Sox did. The Flubs are the bigger story, doubtlessly because they draw more fans. The Cubune sports editors are basically saying, "Hey Sox Fans, eat ****. We don't give one flying **** about your team until they start outdrawing the Flubs. Attendance and circulation are what we are all about and don't ever think it has anything to do with being fair. The Flubs sell newspapers and your team doesn't, so just **** off. You can all just shove it, and if you don't like our attitude we'll only call you a bunch of ****ing crybabies."

That's reality, folks.

Hangar18
05-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Hey Sox Fans, eat ****. We don't give one flying **** about your team until they start outdrawing the Flubs. Attendance and circulation are what we are all about and don't ever think it has anything to do with being fair. The Flubs sell newspapers and your team doesn't, so just **** off. You can all just shove it, and if you don't like our attitude we'll only call you a bunch of ****ing crybabies."



This is the Same EMAIL I got When I wrote to the Cubune the other day !

GoSox2K3
05-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Well, isn't it obvious that the Cubune sports editors have decided that the implosion of their Lovable Losers is more newsworthy than anything the first-place Chicago White Sox could ever possibly do....."

That's the way it always is in Chicago. No matter what the Cubs do, it's turned into positive hype. When the Cubs lose, all we hear about "poor brokenhearted Cub fans" and how the team is so lovable when they lose.

On the other hand, no matter what the Sox do, it's either buried on page 4 or put in as much of a negative light as possible. If the Sox keep winning to the point that they can't ignore the team, all we'll hear about is attendance figures and how the AL Central is weak (and the NL Central isn't?) .

P.S. LOL!! I didn't know that the Flubs lost the 2nd game yesterday until I read this thread! Aren't they cute when they lose? We love them so much!

rahulsekhar
05-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Just curious if anyone thinks we could get a critical mass of Sox fans who are fed up with the media bias to stage a "show of strength". The concept is that on a designated day, no one buys the Cubune or Cub-Times, instead purchasing the Southtown/NYTimes, WashingtonPost, the Onion - whatever other paper you watn, just no Cubune/Cub-Tinmes. If you subscribe, call up the circulation department that evening and say you didn't get your paper that day (they'll extend your subscription by a day to effectively give you credit).

If we could get critical mass, that could show them that they're actually putting some serious $$$ at risk with the continued bias.

Thoughts?

Kuzman
05-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by rahulsekhar
Just curious if anyone thinks we could get a critical mass of Sox fans who are fed up with the media bias to stage a "show of strength". The concept is that on a designated day, no one buys the Cubune or Cub-Times, instead purchasing the Southtown/NYTimes, WashingtonPost, the Onion - whatever other paper you watn, just no Cubune/Cub-Tinmes. If you subscribe, call up the circulation department that evening and say you didn't get your paper that day (they'll extend your subscription by a day to effectively give you credit).

If we could get critical mass, that could show them that they're actually putting some serious $$$ at risk with the continued bias.

Thoughts?

sounds great but you and i both know it wont work.

SOXintheBURGH
05-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3


That's the way it always is in Chicago. No matter what the Cubs do, it's turned into positive hype. When the Cubs lose, all we hear about "poor brokenhearted Cub fans" and how the team is so lovable when they lose.

On the other hand, no matter what the Sox do, it's either buried on page 4 or put in as much of a negative light as possible. If the Sox keep winning to the point that they can't ignore the team, all we'll hear about is attendance figures and how the AL Central is weak (and the NL Central isn't?) .

P.S. LOL!! I didn't know that the Flubs lost the 2nd game yesterday until I read this thread! Aren't they cute when they lose? We love them so much!


Most incredible game I have ever witnessed live in my 22 years of existance. Went to both games of the double header in Pittsburgh and wore my Clemente jersey, surrounded by your typical diehard Scrubs fans wearing blue, I will never forget the majesty of winning a double header set at PNC Park (best park in the NL). Buccos can sweep them up today!

chisox06
05-29-2004, 03:57 PM
If the cubs are losing its a bigger story than if the sox are winning and if the Cubs are winning its a much bigger story than if the sox are winning. Thats really all there is to it. I try not to let it bother me.

White Sox Baseball: Cubbie crack not sold here!