PDA

View Full Version : Will Uribe be at 2B in Houston in Mid-July? Thomas at 1B? Buehrle on the mound?Maggs?

MRKARNO
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Anyone think Uribe is getting to the point where he's an all-star? Sure he wont be voted in bc he's not on the ballot (and Soriano would have gotten voted in anyways), but there really isnt anyone else at second base in the AL worthy of the honor after these two. Uribe has the best VORP of any 2nd basemen in baseball: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorp_pos2004.html?PHPSESSID=b3645e074de3b0104460e9 135d55b6dd

I think he's gotta make the team as a backup....

In regards to First base, it's also gotta be Frank Thomas. He's outperformed every other 1B AND DH in baseball this year and clearly deserves to be an all-star again (at least it's clear to me). Let's hope it's clear to the fans or Torre recognizes that. We might have to organize a serious "Vote Frank in" campaign.

As Far as maggs, he might get in as a reserve too. He's clearly behind Beltran, Manny and Vlad, but I think it ends after Jose Guillen in terms of players clearly more deserving.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorpp2004.html

Buerhle also might be deserving of an All-star bid. At this point, maybe not, but his ERA without that game at home against NY (2 IP 8 ER) is a startlingly good 2.50. If he can keep pitching like he has, his ERA will continue to go down towards that and he will be selected by Torre.

elrod
05-29-2004, 12:03 AM
What is VORP?

ChiSox7
05-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Yikes. Crede at -4.1 tied with GREG NORTON of all people. He really needs to pick it up.

OEO Magglio
05-29-2004, 12:07 AM
I think Juan and Maggs will be there. I think the lack of a dh will kill Frank's chances. I also think ELO and Buehrle both have good chances if they keep pitching they way they have been pitching lately.

ChiSox7
05-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by elrod
What is VORP?

Value over Replacement player.

iwannago
05-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I would not be surprised to see Shingo there.

doublem23
05-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by iwannago
I would not be surprised to see Shingo there.

I would. There are a lot of better known relievers that put up flashier numbers. Realistically, if the Sox get 2 position players and a pitcher on the All-Star team, I think that would be great.

FarWestChicago
05-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I would. There are a lot of better known relievers that put up flashier numbers. Realistically, if the Sox get 2 position players and a pitcher on the All-Star team, I think that would be great. You never know. The Tool might see a marketing opportunity.

:tool

We can make some money in Japan!!

MRKARNO
05-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I think Juan and Maggs will be there. I think the lack of a dh will kill Frank's chances. I also think ELO and Buehrle both have good chances if they keep pitching they way they have been pitching lately.

Frank is on the ballot as a first basemen. I think it's a moot point because he is listed there with Raffy, Giambi....and those are the only real notables at 1B this year and Frank's BA and HR total is better than those two and Giambis on the DL. Raffy would only get the nod for nostalgia factor, but relative to the other league first basemen if you want to look at OBP, OPS and anything that includes Frank's walks numbers, he's so far above the other 1Bs.

StockdaleForVeep
05-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Anyone think Uribe is getting to the point where he's an all-star? Sure he wont be voted in bc he's not on the ballot (and Soriano would have gotten voted in anyways), but there really isnt anyone else at second base in the AL worthy of the honor after these two. Uribe has the best VORP of any 2nd basemen in baseball: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorp_pos2004.html?PHPSESSID=b3645e074de3b0104460e9 135d55b6dd

In regards to First base, it's also gotta be Frank Thomas. He's outperformed every other 1B AND DH in baseball this year and clearly deserves to be an all-star again (at least it's clear to me). Let's hope it's clear to the fans or Torre recognizes that. We might have to organize a serious "Vote Frank in" campaign.

As Far as maggs, he might get in as a reserve too. He's clearly behind Beltran, Manny and Vlad, but I think it ends after Jose Guillen in terms of players clearly more deserving.

Buerhle also might be deserving of an All-star bid. At this point, maybe not, but his ERA without that game at home against NY (2 IP 8 ER) is a startlingly good 2.50. If he can keep pitching like he has, his ERA will continue to go down towards that and he will be selected by Torre.

How much ya wanna bet toree will select giambi to be his 1b boy

God i hope any team goes to the series other than the yankees so someone else can select the players
Eh who am i kiddin, 1st year Oz is gonna be selectin next year and have back to back rings
YE-ES

HITMEN OF 77
05-29-2004, 12:24 AM
Konerko will be on the AS team. He's starting to heat up. It will be a shame if Uribe isn't there. Loaiza should go too.

MRKARNO
05-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
How much ya wanna bet toree will select giambi to be his 1b boy

Torre does not select the All Star starters and if it's clear that Frank is hitting the best, I think the fans will recognize that and vote him in.

OEO Magglio
05-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Frank is on the ballot as a first basemen. I think it's a moot point because he is listed there with Raffy, Giambi....and those are the only real notables at 1B this year and Frank's BA and HR total is better than those two and Giambis on the DL. Raffy would only get the nod for nostalgia factor, but relative to the other league first basemen if you want to look at OBP, OPS and anything that includes Frank's walks numbers, he's so far above the other 1Bs.
I just don't see it happening. IMO Frank will not be on the team even with his production.

guillen4life13
05-29-2004, 02:00 AM
I don't think we're far enough into the season to be able to determine who will be on the all-star team and who won't. Of course, the object of the thread is to speculate based on what has gone on thus far, but I think that lots could change by the time these selections are actually made.

gosox41
05-29-2004, 07:07 AM

I voted my 25 times for Frank, Ordonez, Uribe, and Valentin.

Bob