PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox are stupid!

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Sorry for the rant, but here goes.......

The Sox are stupid for how they handle these "5th starter" situations.

Rauch will start tomorrow after pitching one inning in the last 9 days. They brought in Cotts who's longest outing to date was 2.1 IP on the year and had not pitched AT ALL in 9 days before his start.... They brought up Diaz who had pitched .2 innings in 12 days before his debut. Then they brought him back for start #2 on THREE days rest.

How in the hell can a guy be sharp like that? A pitcher needs regular work. Pitching on the side is not the same. Typically pitchers that have long layoffs are rusty in their first outing back. Why in the hell would you want to throw a guy into the fire for an "audition" when he is likely to be rusty?

Then, they have these guys looking over their shoulder knowing they are going to lose the job if they don't pitch well.

There is nothing like setting up your pitchers to fail and that is exactly what the Sox are doing. It has to be the dumbest way possible.

voodoochile
05-29-2004, 12:14 AM
After 2.5 bottles of wine for voodoo, starting a thread with the tile White Sox are stupid is well.... stupid...

Not your fault, so i'll let it slide...

still, aren't the Sox 2 games up in first?

SEALgep
05-29-2004, 12:15 AM
What would you have them do? I like Diaz, but he needs more time to develop apparently. If we just kept him in there the whole time, it would be detrimental to him and us.

CubKilla
05-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

Rauch will start tomorrow after pitching one inning in the last 9 days.

I know what you're saying. But the last time Rauch was called up in '02, he sat for what seemed an eternity until JM gave him a chance to start a Saturday matinee at The Cell. He pitched a great game and the Sox shut out MIN.

OEO Magglio
05-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
What would you have them do? I like Diaz, but he needs more time to develop apparently. If we just kept him in there the whole time, it would be detrimental to him and us.
Rex if I'm wrong on this please correct me, but seal I think he's trying to say is it's really dumb for the sox to put rauch in a relief role before he comes up to the majors instead of letting him have his normal start. He won't be as sharp because he's not on a good schedule and if that's not bad enough they're getting one shot now and getting sent back down, so they have no room for error. I tend to agree with Rex on this one.

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 12:45 AM
I'll respond to several posts here without direct quotes......

voodoo, the title of the thread was worded for effect.... i certainly wouldn't get into the habit of doing so because I agree with you in premise...... i just wanted to make a point in this instance. And yes, the Sox are doing just fine and that is good...... but there are still stupid in how they are handling this situation.

There are many different things the Sox could do and I don't claim to have THE one right answer. I can just tell you that successful organizations put their people in positions to succeed, not the opposite.

If the Sox felt Diaz was their guy, then they should have stuck with him longer. They need to learn patience with young pitchers. Many pitchers that succeed initially in the Majors falter not long after that initial success. The Sox need a guy to succeed for them for the entire season, not just two starts. Yanking Diaz out of the rotation like they did, especially after running him out there on three days rest the second start was extremely short-sighted. That is assuming they truly felt he was ready in the first place.

Even if you agree with the decision on Diaz, the Sox still should have learned what starting an inexperienced pitcher will give you if he is not on his regular rotation. I know the days didn't line up perfectly, but only having Diaz pitch two-thirds of an inning in 12 days, and Rauch one inning in 9 days before their start with the Sox is just plain dumb.

One of these days the Sox will learn that a true definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

SEALgep
05-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Rex if I'm wrong on this please correct me, but seal I think he's trying to say is it's really dumb for the sox to put rauch in a relief role before he comes up to the majors instead of letting him have his normal start. He won't be as sharp because he's not on a good schedule and if that's not bad enough they're getting one shot now and getting sent back down, so they have no room for error. I tend to agree with Rex on this one. I think it's wise to just relieve him before being called up. He's been pitching relatively short amount of innings in the minors, so keeping him fresh when we may need for him to make a lot pitches makes sense. I don't think he'll become less sharp, I think it will allow him to feel more fresh, and hopefully that translates into more effective as well.

OEO Magglio
05-29-2004, 12:51 AM
I think it's wise to just relieve him before being called up. He's been pitching relatively short amount of innings in the minors, so keeping him fresh when we may need for him to make a lot pitches makes sense. I don't think he'll become less sharp, I think it will allow him to feel more fresh, and hopefully that translates into more effective as well.
I disagree. He's barely pitched the last two weeks, how can you expect him to be sharp? I hope he comes out tomorrow sharp and looks good but he isn't put in the greatest situation.

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 12:53 AM
I think it's wise to just relieve him before being called up. He's been pitching relatively short amount of innings in the minors, so keeping him fresh when we may need for him to make a lot pitches makes sense. I don't think he'll become less sharp, I think it will allow him to feel more fresh, and hopefully that translates into more effective as well.

Unfortunately in the short term, it works exactly the opposite with pitchers. Extra rest will not make him fresher.

All of this said, Rauch can overcome this. He may pitch lights out, but if he does, I would hold off annointing him as the answer until he has had at least 3-4 starts, maybe more.

I am not saying he will fail for sure and no predictions are being made, but the Sox aren't doing their pitchers any favors in the way they are being handled. It certainly would not surprise me if Rauch bombs tomorrow night.

At the same time, if he does, just like with Diaz, that would not convince me that he is not ready. Put a guy in a position to succeed and you might just be surprised at how often he will.

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I know what you're saying. But the last time Rauch was called up in '02, he sat for what seemed an eternity until JM gave him a chance to start a Saturday matinee at The Cell. He pitched a great game and the Sox shut out MIN.

It could happen Killa, but aren't looking for a long term answer here? Note he had a ton of time between outings when he last made the club as a 5th starter out of ST and he failed. Doing so at that time, while he was coming off an injury was even more dumb than this is.

StockdaleForVeep
05-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

Rauch will start tomorrow after pitching one inning in the last 9 days. They brought in Cotts who's longest outing to date was 2.1 IP on the year and had not pitched AT ALL in 9 days before his start.... They brought up Diaz who had pitched .2 innings in 12 days before his debut. Then they brought him back for start #2 on THREE days rest.

How in the hell can a guy be sharp like that? A pitcher needs regular work. Pitching on the side is not the same. Typically pitchers that have long layoffs are rusty in their first outing back. Why in the hell would you want to throw a guy into the fire for an "audition" when he is likely to be rusty?

Then, they have these guys looking over their shoulder knowing they are going to lose the job if they don't pitch well.

There is nothing like setting up your pitchers to fail and that is exactly what the Sox are doing. It has to be the dumbest way possible.

Cotts was warming up in the pen prior to the game he startered and all pitchers pretty much throw on the side every day. Its not like the only lifting he did was for his martini glass. You can make the same argument if they should ever put him back in relief cuz he hasnt pitched in X amount of days.

lowesox
05-29-2004, 01:37 AM
I agree with this thread - and I think Kenny telling the press that he tried desperately to make a move before this start won't do much to add to Rauch's confidence. AFter all, most call-ups already feel like they don't belong even when they think they earned the spot.

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Cotts was warming up in the pen prior to the game he startered and all pitchers pretty much throw on the side every day. Its not like the only lifting he did was for his martini glass. You can make the same argument if they should ever put him back in relief cuz he hasnt pitched in X amount of days.

That makes no sense........ what did I miss?

Iguana775
05-29-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree with the Rexmeister

Rex Hudler
05-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Need I say more? Today could be seen hundreds of miles away........

A. Cavatica
05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Yup, stupid. He threw one inning of relief in a span of 8 or 9 days, no wonder he was off today.

Well, there will probably be an opening in the Charlotte rotation soon...