PDA

View Full Version : Fans Called in to Mac/Jurko/Harry show today Complaining, say "too much SOX talk"

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 06:22 PM
a number of the other teams "fans" were calling in complaining
they were getting tired of SOX Fans "chirping" and "talking sox for the last 45 minutes". MJ&H promptly told callers to shove it, SOX fans have had to put up with their nonsense for the past 6 Months! I was laughing my butt off. Other "fan" had the nerve to say we were in a "weak division" and that injuries are whats hurting that team. Funny stuff. Nice to have a topic on the Air over at ESPN1000. Then again, it is the SOX Flagship If I remember correctly.

elrod
05-28-2004, 06:24 PM
I only heard one caller make that comment and he got shelled by all three DJs.

Soxfest
05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah right they have R.Sandberg on , K.Wood every week , Harry talks about Cubs 80% of time , B.Levine 80% Cub talk, I like the Show but it is about time the Sox get more than 5 minutes an hour 1 day.

CubKilla
05-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
MJ&H promptly told callers to shove it, SOX fans have had to put up with their nonsense for the past 6 Months!

:)

Good job Mac, Jurko, and Harry

Uncle_Patrick
05-28-2004, 11:12 PM
I also heard some of that today. We had to hear how the Cubs were World Series bound all winter and spring. Its about time coverage switched to the other side of town.

On a semi-related note, I heard a Cub fan call in MJ&H on Thursday to say the Hawk and DJ were the worst broadcasters in baseball. However, he thought Pat Hughes and Ron Santo were some of the best. Ron Santo? What's with Cubs fans and senile old broadcasters?

elrod
05-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Three of the four guys in the booth for the Cubs are awful. Pat Hughes is blah. Ron Santo is atrocious. Chip Carey acts like he's talking to kindergarteners. Steve Stone is great, though. Now as for the Sox: DJ is blah. Hawk is fun, even if annoying. Ed Farmer is terrible. John Rooney is one of the best in the business.

nasox
05-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
I also heard some of that today. We had to hear how the Cubs were World Series bound all winter and spring. Its about time coverage switched to the other side of town.

On a semi-related note, I heard a Cub fan call in MJ&H on Thursday to say the Hawk and DJ were the worst broadcasters in baseball. However, he thought Pat Hughes and Ron Santo were some of the best. Ron Santo? What's with Cubs fans and senile old broadcasters?

:moron
"Senile broadcaster? Who........Hawk?!?!"

StockdaleForVeep
05-28-2004, 11:46 PM
they were getting tired of SOX Fans "chirping" and "talking sox for the last 45 minutes". MJ&H promptly told callers to shove it, SOX fans have had to put up with their nonsense for the past 6 Months! I was laughing my butt off. Other "fan" had the nerve to say we were in a "weak division" and that injuries are whats hurting that team. Funny stuff. Nice to have a topic on the Air over at ESPN1000. Then again, it is the SOX Flagship If I remember correctly.

Surprised you didnt call to issue a duel to these other fans, maybe the white glove was in the wash?

Last night when i was drivin back from Harrah's at 10 pm, not sure who's program it was but was on 1000 and caller commented on the attention given to the cubs instead of sox, saying like the cubs even got a blimp for their game against cincin which pissed her off cuz she lives on the northside but is a sox fan and announcers commented sayin "80% of the writers who do the cubs are cubs fans, the writers who do the columns on the sox are sports analysts and impartial"

Great comments there

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Yeah right they have R.Sandberg on , K.Wood every week , Harry talks about Cubs 80% of time , B.Levine 80% Cub talk, I like the Show but it is about time the Sox get more than 5 minutes an hour 1 day.

Are you listening to imaginary radio? McNeil is the leader of that trio, and he talks White Sox baseball constantly. Not sure what you are listening to.

SpartanSoxFan
05-29-2004, 12:23 AM
That is right, all you "lovable loser" fans can take a back seat to us for once this season. Eat it.

TornLabrum
05-29-2004, 09:22 AM
I can see the Tribune headlines now if the Cubs finish out of the playoffs and the Sox make it.

Many of you are not old enough to remember it but in 1964, Chuck Percy (who later was elected to the U.S. Senate) ran for Governor of Illinois. '64 was the year of the Johnson landslide, in the wake of the Kennedy assassination. Percy, like every other Republican on the national and state tickets took a drubbing.

The Kankakee Daily Urinal, the local rag was and is owned by the Small family, prominent Republicans, the scion of which was Governor of Illinois in the '20s. (Governor's Highway? He's the Governor who had it built, four lanes from Chicago to...you guessed it: Kankakee). All election season long, Percy stories outnumbered stories about the Democratic candidate, Otto Kerner.

The landslide was so huge in '64 that Percy lost close to every county in the state, including Kankakee County. The headline Wednesday morning about the Governor's race: "Percy does well in Kankakee County."

This is something akin to what I envision in the Trib if the Cubs don't make it.

BigEdWalsh
05-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by elrod
Three of the four guys in the booth for the Cubs are awful. Pat Hughes is blah. Ron Santo is atrocious. Chip Carey acts like he's talking to kindergarteners. Steve Stone is great, though. Now as for the Sox: DJ is blah. Hawk is fun, even if annoying. Ed Farmer is terrible. John Rooney is one of the best in the business.

I agree with almost everything you said. But I think DJ is a little more terrible than "blah". Farmer can be pretty blah because he never sounds excited about anything. However, he's at least pretty funny sometimes and he's got lot's of stories to tell. Seems to have a pretty incredible memory, unlike Sandorf.

elrod
05-29-2004, 09:47 AM
I don't think DJ is terrible. He doesn't say honestly terrible things. He just doesn't say very useful things either. Farmer's stories are, quite often, terrible.

Hangar18
05-29-2004, 09:57 AM

Caray: Knowledgable, but plays Buffoon
Santo: Horrible, and plays Buffoon
Hughes: Too Over the Top
Stone: Knowledgable, but a Company Man now

I caught the end of the 1st flub game (that was a horribly played, sloppy game, like watching little league again)
and STONE LAMBASTED the runner at 3rd for not scoring on a play that had Patterson diving for the ball. He analyzed the situation very well, been a LOOOONG time since I heard him
do that. Good description of the play and what SHOULDVE happened.

SOXSINCE'70
05-29-2004, 10:43 AM
TOO MUCH?!?! How about barely any outside of McNeil and Dave "drillrod" Wills??
Thank God for them!!And don't buy Jurko and Harry leaning both ways.They are sCrUBS fans and they know it.If there should be any complaint,it should be that a station that calls itself "the flagship for the White Sox" is far too sCrUBS intensive.If the sCrUBbie fans don't like it,tough.Will you hear a program on WGN AM called "White Sox Weekly" ??
No,but if you're unfortunate enough to listen to 'MVP from
9-11 on Sundays,you will hear "sCrUBs weakly".
I know they make more revenue than the Sox,but the overkill of those bastards drives me friggin'crazy!! :angry: :angry:

pinwheels3530
05-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Surprised you didnt call to issue a duel to these other fans, maybe the white glove was in the wash?

Last night when i was drivin back from Harrah's at 10 pm, not sure who's program it was but was on 1000 and caller commented on the attention given to the cubs instead of sox, saying like the cubs even got a blimp for their game against cincin which pissed her off cuz she lives on the northside but is a sox fan and announcers commented sayin "80% of the writers who do the cubs are cubs fans, the writers who do the columns on the sox are sports analysts and impartial"

Great comments there

That was Dave Willis on the White Sox post game show.

hsnterprize
05-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I can see the Tribune headlines now if the Cubs finish out of the playoffs and the Sox make it.

Many of you are not old enough to remember it but in 1964, Chuck Percy (who later was elected to the U.S. Senate) ran for Governor of Illinois. '64 was the year of the Johnson landslide, in the wake of the Kennedy assassination. Percy, like every other Republican on the national and state tickets took a drubbing.

The Kankakee Daily Urinal, the local rag was and is owned by the Small family, prominent Republicans, the scion of which was Governor of Illinois in the '20s. (Governor's Highway? He's the Governor who had it built, four lanes from Chicago to...you guessed it: Kankakee). All election season long, Percy stories outnumbered stories about the Democratic candidate, Otto Kerner.

The landslide was so huge in '64 that Percy lost close to every county in the state, including Kankakee County. The headline Wednesday morning about the Governor's race: "Percy does well in Kankakee County."

This is something akin to what I envision in the Trib if the Cubs don't make it. Interesting analogy, Mr. Vickery. Any such headline by the Cubune after another Titanic-style sinking will be a "save-face" tactic they and other Cubbie lovers will use to salvage themselves after hyping up the "Cubs will go all the way" mantra over and over again.

Not trying to speak too soon, Hal, but I don't think we should expect any "Out Of The Blue"-type book from the Tribune should the Sox get into the post-season.

ewokpelts
06-01-2004, 12:15 PM

hughes and stone are good together. stone is a gret announcer...you have to be, considering harry became acolor guy near the end.
Gene

Uncle_Patrick
06-01-2004, 02:33 PM

Caray: Knowledgable, but plays Buffoon
Santo: Horrible, and plays Buffoon
Hughes: Too Over the Top
Stone: Knowledgable, but a Company Man now

I don't think Santo is "playing" the buffoon. I think he is a buffoon. He is just God-awful. I cannot fathom how anyone enjoys listening to him on a regular basis.

GoSox2K3
06-01-2004, 02:47 PM

Cub fans whining? :whiner: I am SHOCKED!

cheeses_h_rice
06-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I've decided to give Murph and Fred's show on the Score a try, once again, on select days, and within 5 minutes I find myself having to turn to something else. Murph is simply incapable of talking about the White Sox for more than about 2 minutes straight without bringing the subject back around to the ****ing Flubs. Today, discussing Maggs' contract status, turning down the 5-year/$70M deal, all of a sudden we're back on Joe Borowski's relief appearance in last night's game.

Unreal.

sti3
06-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Soxfest
You're high. They talk about the Sox all the time. I think Jurko and Harry do a good job of feigning interest in our team, which is really all one can ask.

For the record, DJ is good, Stone is overrated, and R&F are both great. Hawk is Hawk.

CanOfCorn
06-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Sometimes DJ strikes me more as Hawk's ventriliquist dummy than an analyst.

nasox
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I've decided to give Murph and Fred's show on the Score a try, once again, on select days, and within 5 minutes I find myself having to turn to something else. Murph is simply incapable of talking about the White Sox for more than about 2 minutes straight without bringing the subject back around to the ****ing Flubs. Today, discussing Maggs' contract status, turning down the 5-year/$70M deal, all of a sudden we're back on Joe Borowski's relief appearance in last night's game.

Unreal.

you know, as soon as school gets out for me next week, I'll listen to his show for a few minutes and see how it is. I have never listened but it sounds really pathetic.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I have made my goal in life to send every single Cubs fan hurtling into oblivion.