PDA

View Full Version : Raul Mondesi joins Angels

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Yahoo! Sports reports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angels-mondesi&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I assume he'll be here in time to face the White Sox. How big of a cause for worry is this?

Randar68
05-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Yahoo! Sports reports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angels-mondesi&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I assume he'll be here in time to face the White Sox. How big of a cause for worry is this?

What, is he going to play 3rd base? LOL!

bennyw41
05-28-2004, 04:20 PM
I kinda find it ridiculous. I mean, he said he was leaving for DR, and terminated his contract, and now is a free agent because he said he was sitting the whole year. Seems kinda shady to me.

E Coast Sox Fan
05-28-2004, 04:21 PM
CBS Sportsline reported that Raul Mondesi will become an Angel for the rest of the season....(http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7369386)

"Raul can play center field. He would create a lot more depth that we have and you'd be able to have better options with matchups," Scioscia said earlier this week."

For only 1.75 mil for rest of the season this may be a pretty good bargain.

Not sure this would have been the right answer for the Sox, but I think the evidence looks good:

1) he's got basestealing speed (good for Ozzieball)
2) can play center
3) good pop to his bat (can hit for decent avg. and power)
4) he came reasonably cheap, and
5) didn't cost any future prospects...

It looks liek we'll get to see for ourselves on Sunday...

doublem23
05-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I kinda find it ridiculous. I mean, he said he was leaving for DR, and terminated his contract, and now is a free agent because he said he was sitting the whole year. Seems kinda shady to me.

I agree. How convienent he terminated his deal with Pittsburgh only to land atop the American League West.

Hmmmmm....

I don't know how big of a deal it is... His career numbers against the White Sox aren't that great (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5090/splits?year=career&type=Batting) .

JRIG
05-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I agree. How convienent he terminated his deal with Pittsburgh only to land atop the American League West.

Hmmmmm....

As far as I can remember, he didn't terminate his deal, the Pirates did. Sure, he helped things along by basically quitting, but Pitt could have held on to him as he was talking about coming back.

Hokiesox
05-28-2004, 04:25 PM
He may be stuck in the DR if he's down there. They're having some tremendous flooding problems. Thousands dead.

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2004, 04:27 PM
He won't play until Sunday so I'm not concerned.

mantis1212
05-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41

So is that all a player has to do to become a free agent? Something does stink about that...

Wanne
05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
On the flip side...the guy's a moody malcontent that very well could be a disruption to their team chemistry. When he was with Arizona...nobody liked the guy and he disassociated himself from everybody.

That does stink that a player can just quit one team and join another just because. "Their outta be a rule...."

elrod
05-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Two clubhouse cancers for the Angels now: Guillen and Mondesi. I see why the Angels made the move but I have trouble seeing it pay off.

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 04:40 PM

I assume he'll be here in time to face the White Sox. How big of a cause for worry is this? I have no doubt that you believe he'll hit for the cycle every game of the series against us.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 04:54 PM
This is the first good news for Texas since Tuesday! :cool:

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Wanne

That does stink that a player can just quit one team and join another just because. "Their outta be a rule...."

Or one One Owner can tell another his team is up for "contraction" and dont worry about paying big money to a top-level college player. This is what happens when Baseball hasnt had a commissioner since 1993

raul12
05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
So is that all a player has to do to become a free agent? Something does stink about that...

I agree--does Pittsburg have any recourse? Can they file a protest? If it's illegal to tamper with negotiations by declaring a team's intent to sign someone before they are a free agent, then this should be against the rules too in some way, no?

SaltyPretzel
05-28-2004, 05:10 PM
So much for his precious family time.

bennyw41
05-28-2004, 05:10 PM
It seems ifffy, because They initially terminated the contract. But, they did so with the understanding that he was done for the year, and since his contract was a one year deal, it made sense. Now, if before he got his contract terminated by pittsburgh he was in contact with the Angels, that could be some serious tampering violations, and I am sure they are looking at that all right now.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
So much for his precious family time.
The Pirates saw this coming: Mondesi moving on (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pit/news/pit_news.jsp?ymd=20040526&content_id=753073&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp)

the Pirates were not unanimous in their support of Mondesi's decision. Shortstop and fellow Dominican countryman Abraham Nunez was visibly upset when told of the news that Mondesi hoped to sign a contract with a contending team this week.

"That's definitely disappointing. I don't know what to believe. I don't even know what to say," said Nunez. "I don't think it's fair to the (Pirates') players."

What a total jerk.

Bucktown
05-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Does this mean he has to pay Mario Guerrero another $17,500

Pittsburgh seems to be surviving without him.

illiniwhitesox
05-29-2004, 10:22 AM
The Yankees couldn't get rid of him fast enough. They viewed him as a cancer and were pretty vocal about it.

My view of him is that he is a great first half player and is a phenomonal fastball pitcher.

However, as the season progresses and pitchers get a handle of their off-speed pitches and breaking balls, he rarely sees a fastball over any part of the plate.

This is why he usually tanks the second half. He did this with the Yankees and then complained that he was not seeing any PT. The reason why he wasn't playing was b/c he stopped producing.

Baby Fisk
05-31-2004, 09:44 AM

Raul Mondesi

AB - 2
H - 0
BB - 1
avg. - .000

Stop worrying, Homefish. It's all good! :cool:

CanOfCorn
05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
The guy's a scumbag.

Million-dollar arm, hundred-dollar bat, 10-cent head.

TaylorStSox
05-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Or one One Owner can tell another his team is up for "contraction" and dont worry about paying big money to a top-level college player. This is what happens when Baseball hasnt had a commissioner since 1993

Or, one can draft the best looking catcher prospect in the history of baseball. I guess it's coincidence that he's from the home state and wanted to play there.

It's ridiculous that you'd rather see Prior on the Twins than the Cubs.

Cornerstone catcher or potential ace that you won't have a chance at resigning?

The problem with your conspiracy theory is that the Twins made the right move.

Baby Fisk
06-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Meanwhile at the vatican, Pope Selig finally clues in...

Selig to Investigate Mondesi Deal (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-angrep3jun03,1,7316265,print.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-majorbaseb)

In case you aren't registered, here's the gist of the article:

Commissioner Bud Selig said Wednesday he had ordered an investigation into the circumstances surrounding outfielder Raul Mondesi's departure from the Pittsburgh Pirates and subsequent acquisition by the Angels.

"Our people are taking a look at the whole situation and how it unfolded," Selig said. "It needs to be looked at, and it is."

Selig said he initiated the investigation and said neither the Pirates nor Angels had asked for one. Mondesi has denied the suggestion that he skirted baseball rules to flee a last-place team and sign with one in first place.

Pittsburgh General Manager Dave Littlefield, who opted to release Mondesi rather than keep him on indefinite unpaid leave on the restricted list, told the New York Times on Tuesday: "The idea that he manipulated anything, I just don't buy it. As intriguing as it sounds, it didn't happen."

Angel General Manager Bill Stoneman would not discuss whether he had been contacted by Selig's office but said the team had done nothing wrong and was not concerned about losing Mondesi or providing possible compensation to the Pirates. Stoneman said the Angels acted only after receiving official notification from Selig's office that Mondesi had been released and thus was a free agent.