PDA

View Full Version : Jim Baker picks AS Team as of today

compy75
05-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I just recently read Jim Baker's article where he picked the All Star team as of today and was miffed that he didn't include Frank among his selections. Here are the Sox who he DID include:

Uribe as the starting 2b, Maggs as a backup RF. He only included one Starting pitcher for good measure.

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Frank is killed by the lack of the DH at this year's All-Star game.

Heck, I'm one of Frank's biggest critics and even I don't see a better DH in the AL this year.

compy75
05-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Frank seems to be killed EVERY year by the AS game. Heck in 2000, he didn't make it and got the MVP stolen from him by a hot September. Last year, he had 20 hr at the break and Everett got in somehow, some way.

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by compy75
Frank seems to be killed EVERY year by the AS game. Heck in 2000, he didn't make it and got the MVP stolen from him by a hot September. Last year, he had 20 hr at the break and Everett got in somehow, some way.

Frank went into a slump in the weeks before the All-Star Game. His BA was down to the .270's or .260's, iirc.

RKMeibalane
05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
Frank went into a slump in the weeks before the All-Star Game. His BA was down to the .270's or .260's, iirc.

He did cool off a bit, but he was having a better season than several players who ended making the team. Those of us here at WSI weren't too happy. I really don't care about the AS Game anymore, whether it's the MLB or the NBA game. All Star Games are nothing more than popularity contests. What's really sad is that most of the people who vote have little or no idea what's really going on during a given baseball or basketball season. They just vote for players based on their reputation.

compy75
05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
I really don't care about the AS Game anymore, whether it's the MLB or the NBA game. All Star Games are nothing more than popularity contests.

I agree with that in principle, the problem is that often All Star game selections are used a credential for the viability of players.

bobj4400
05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What's really sad is that most of the people who vote have little or no idea what's really going on during a given baseball or basketball season. They just vote for players based on their reputation.

Hence we will be seeing Scam-ME* starting in RF this July...

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400

I hope Astro fans treat their favorite visiting RF just like Sox fans do...

compy75
05-28-2004, 01:47 PM

One I don't think it's a given he makes the team. He wasn't voted last year.
Two, I really wonder what opening up the vote to Latin America will do. We saw and can bank on Matsui and Suzuki getting all the Japanese votes thus injustly starting. I wonder what the Hispanic vote will do, will it propel a guy like Delgado?

idseer
05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
pertty funny the concern about frank being killed when it's just some guys picks a quarter thru the season.

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Two, I really wonder what opening up the vote to Latin America will do. We saw and can bank on Matsui and Suzuki getting all the Japanese votes thus injustly starting. I wonder what the Hispanic vote will do, will it propel a guy like Delgado?

Which Latin American countries get to vote?

Venezuela hopefully will...

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
He did cool off a bit, but he was having a better season than several players who ended making the team. Those of us here at WSI weren't too happy. I really don't care about the AS Game anymore, whether it's the MLB or the NBA game. All Star Games are nothing more than popularity contests. What's really sad is that most of the people who vote have little or no idea what's really going on during a given baseball or basketball season. They just vote for players based on their reputation.

My problem with the All-Star Game is that it is not taken seriously at all by the players and coaches involved. It is an exhibition game, true, but its not Spring Training or the Hall of Fame game.

It's supposed to FEATURE the best and most popular players. FEATURE, not include for two innings. Yeah, so you might get injured. So what? If you're worried about that, don't show up. Nobody's forcing you to play.

compy75
05-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Which Latin American countries get to vote?

Venezuela hopefully will...

My understanding is that it is the same way Japanese can. It's all online. Now they have a Spanish ballot. One has to wonder though how many have computers in Latin America.

pertty funny the concern about frank being killed when it's just some guys picks a quarter thru the season.

Remember All Star voting and selection are in a month, so it's like there is a TON of time.

iwannago
05-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish
My problem with the All-Star Game is that it is not taken seriously at all by the players and coaches involved. It is an exhibition game, true, but its not Spring Training or the Hall of Fame game.

It's supposed to FEATURE the best and most popular players. FEATURE, not include for two innings. Yeah, so you might get injured. So what? If you're worried about that, don't show up. Nobody's forcing you to play.

I agree, sometimes it appears that only the players whose contract calls for a bonus if they make the all-star team care.

longshot7
05-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Former Secretary-of-State Jim Baker??? what does he know about baseball?

doublem23
05-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Anybody have a link for this? I'd like to read it.

Voice of Reason
05-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I just recently read Jim Baker's article where he picked the All Star team as of today and was miffed that he didn't include Frank among his selections. Here are the Sox who he DID include:

Uribe as the starting 2b, Maggs as a backup RF. He only included one Starting pitcher for good measure.

In the future, could you include a link when you make a post about an article?

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
IIRC, Frank is on the on-line ballot this year at first base. So let's vote him in already. We each have 25 votes. I think we all can agree -- objectively and subjectively -- that he is most deserving.

Maximo
05-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Former Secretary-of-State Jim Baker??? what does he know about baseball?

I believe he was referring to the Jim Bakker who was married to Tammy Faye.

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-28-2004, 04:21 PM

true, but the guys who were...

vlad guerrero, gary sheffield are now in the AL, and pujols is a 1B now. so he has a much better chance to get voted in