PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson Feature


Lip Man 1
05-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Melissa Issacson in the Tribune has a feature on the life and times of one Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. It looks at his career with the Sox and includes some pointed comments by good ole Uncle Jerry about Hawk's stint as GM. Apparently Hawk didn't really want the job but was 'talked' into it by......

Guess who?

Lip

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Here's the link:

Cub-bune article on the Hawk (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040527soxhawk,1,6296360.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Maximo
05-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Melissa Issacson in the Tribune has a feature on the life and times of one Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. It looks at his career with the Sox and includes some pointed comments by good ole Uncle Jerry about Hawk's stint as GM. Apparently Hawk didn't really want the job but was 'talked' into it by......

Guess who?

Lip

That pretty much says something about the both of them.

Fenway
05-28-2004, 07:08 PM
I posted this months ago and again the story is true

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27621


http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10037.jpg

Bleacher fans at Fenway Park show their displeasure with the Ken Harrelson trade April 20, 1969

LuvSox
05-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by fenway
I posted this months ago and again the story is true

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27621


http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10037.jpg

Bleacher fans at Fenway Park show their displeasure with the Ken Harrelson trade April 20, 1969

Nice pic. Wow, that was 4 months before I was born. Now I'm teaching my kids "Hawkisms".

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 11:27 PM
"There is nothing worse than an announcer taking over one of the four or five precious moments of the game," he says. "Don't give me Baseball 101. The fan is seeing the same game I am. I want you to use your imagination. I want you to be thinking. I like to think we have some of the most sophisticated fans in baseball. When Esteban Loaiza is pitching a beautiful game, it's our job to get out of his way and let our fans enjoy the moment.

Hm. That would explain the awkward silences.

ode to veeck
05-29-2004, 12:30 AM
or a nice cover for spacin' out (they're buyin it Hawk!)

jackbrohamer
05-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Hm. That would explain the awkward silences.

I agree with Harrelson on that point, I like it when announcers don't babble the whole game. Though I agree with you, Hawk kind of overdoes it sometimes & the silences are awkward.

SOXSINCE'70
05-29-2004, 10:32 AM
2 words: FLUFF PIECE.

Missy Issacson should stick to writing puff pices about the Bears
and the 6-10 they may enjoy in 2004.Hey,i'm as big a homer as anyone,but the "Hawkisms" ("stretch!","yyyyyeeessss","he's lookin' for a cookie","turn and burn","sit back,relax and strap it down", "gristle up",and of course,"our Sox") have become a joke at best.As Harrelson mentioned in the puff piece,older fans don't need all the bells and whistles.But the awkward silences drive me friggin' crazy!!

To paraphrase a broadcaster who is quickly becoming a joke in this city,there are Sox fans who look forward to your retirement.
Then they,as you have done this past year,can shout out
"HE GONE!!" :) :)

TheBull19
05-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70


To paraphrase a broadcaster who is quickly becoming a joke in this city

You're never truly a chicago baseball broadcaster until you become a joke in the city.

Brian26
05-29-2004, 07:14 PM
A couple of great photos attached with that story in the paper. One shot has Hawk throwing a baseball in Spring Training with LaRussa standing behind him smirking.

SOXSINCE'70
05-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
A couple of great photos attached with that story in the paper. One shot has Hawk throwing a baseball in Spring Training with LaRussa standing behind him smirking.

How about the one of Hawk on the front page smoking??
Classic!! :) :)