PDA

View Full Version : What about Uribe?

WWIII
05-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I just read an article on espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1807447) discussing the surprise players of 2004. I thought Uribe had to be in this list, but he does not even get mentioned. I know there were a few if not more on this board who were less than satisfied when we picked this kid up. Even if you weren't, no one expected this kind of play from him. He plays SS, 2B, 3B, and he's hitting .348 with 7 HRs.

Well, he was a pleasant surprise for me anyway.

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 12:05 PM
though Reed and Borchard are mentioned near the bottom of the link by Gammons

Irishsox1
05-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Keep the Sox under the radar all year, that's fine with me. Let the Flubbies and their 98 million dollar payroll take all the heat.

nlentz88
05-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I was happy when K-Dubs made the trade for Uribe. I figured he's be an upgrade over Tony Graff and just having to give up Miles for him was a steal. I was also pissed that the papers kept printing his name as "Jose" Uribe.

Even though I liked the trade and liked the idea of Uribe as a utility infielder going into the season, Juan totally surprised me with his offensive production. Dear Lord has he been hot! Suddenly the Sox are very deep up the middle. There's no way we'd be in first place today with Uribe.

The guy's got the fourth best batting average in the AL. It's about time he got some respect from the media.

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Rotoworld gives Uribe props and calls him one of the biggest surprises of the year.

owensmouth
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Shortly after the trade, I remember reading an article saying that Uribe sometimes started thinking longball after hitting a few home runs. The idea was that he'd try and pull the ball and his average would plummet. Mite be something to watch over the weekend.

So far he has shown all the naysayers to be wrong.

I hope he continues.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Shortly after the trade, I remember reading an article saying that Uribe sometimes started thinking longball after hitting a few home runs. The idea was that he'd try and pull the ball and his average would plummet. Mite be something to watch over the weekend.

So far he has shown all the naysayers to be wrong.

I hope he continues.

He also has the highest VORP for second-basemen in all of baseball right now.

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
I'd worry about Uribe's lust for the longball, but watching his second HR last night (I missed the first) was a sight to behold. That swing was so compact and controlled that I don't think there's any doubt that he just got a hold of it. It wasn't a long, Credean swing or a violent Gary Sheffield hack. It was just a short, sweet home run swing of the sort that rarely kills batting averages.

pearso66
05-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I was in favor of the Uribe trade, granted I did never think he'd play this well, but I figured, there is nothing wrong with tradeing a AAAA guy for a guy who has a chance to be good in the majors. And if he failed, well we didnt give anythign up.