PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Hawkism?

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't know how many people here are like me who are finding Harrelson's sayings old and tired. I think he needs some new sayings or maybe it's time for a change.

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I like what he says.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by WhteSox725
I don't know how many people here are like me who are finding Harrelson's sayings old and tired. I think he needs some new sayings or maybe it's time for a change.

I never mind "he just missed it". All you have to do is listen to Chimp for a few innings of a Cubs game to hear him go nuts for fly-balls that don't even make the warning track. You'd think they were hit to the street the way he goes sometimes...

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I like Hawk-isms. dont like "stretch" though.......

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Can someone tell me what "Bow your neck" means anyway? I hear him saying this quite a bit this year but don't know what it means.

CubKiller
05-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Stretch! Stretch!

I don't like it.

DirtySouthsider
05-28-2004, 11:09 AM
You forgot...." Stretch...Stretch....!!!!

idseer
05-28-2004, 11:09 AM
you need another catagory:

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

and throw in 'good evening sox fans'.

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I like Hawk-isms. dont like "stretch" though.......

That's another good one I forgot all about.

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 11:10 AM
"He's gonna be just fine."

Kadafi311
05-28-2004, 11:16 AM
One of my favorite Hawkisms is "drop the Coup de Grace". He hasn't found many contexts to use it in this year though.

Irishsox1
05-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Hawk has a lot of catch phrases, but nothing sounds better than when your at a bar and the Cubs give up a homerun to some team, and someone belts out "You caaaan put it on the board!!!" It really pisses the Cubs fans off.

On the flip side, Hawk has come up with some good nicknames, "The Big Hurt", "The Deacon", "El Cabillo", I can't think of any more, but there are more.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 11:26 AM
"Can o' corn."

kojak
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't have a least favourite, considering I am on year 12 of Hawk withdrawals. Every Blue Moon I get to catch a Sox highlight and I can hear the Hawk beneath the voice-over.

My favourite catch-phrase has to be his double-play call:
"RACK 'EM UP!"

Signed,
Hawkless in Kolly-forneeyah

Hmmm...what if they let Ah-nold do play-by-play?? :cool:

Bobby Thigpen
05-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Love Hawk. Hate "Stretch!!".

jackbrohamer
05-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I hate "stretch" also.

He's been using "rubber match" for quite a while for the deciding game in a series. I always thought he was saying it wrong (I thought the phrase was "rubber game of the match") but I hear it's not.

TDog
05-28-2004, 12:17 PM
I hated the way he treated Wimpy.

habibharu
05-28-2004, 12:18 PM
dont like "get up!"

Etownsox13
05-28-2004, 12:21 PM
"I love e-mail"

vegyrex
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
As long as he doesn't talk about golf.

Hawk-sims are--> :cool:

habibharu
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
i also dont like him saying "sucks it up" after every groundout

vegyrex
05-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1

On the flip side, Hawk has come up with some good nicknames, "The Big Hurt", "The Deacon", "El Cabillo", I can't think of any more, but there are more.

Did Hawk come with "Little Bulldog" for Greg Hibbard and "One Dog" for Lance Johnson?

He tried giving Robin Ventura a nickname, "Sweet Swingin Robin" but it never caught on.

MarkM2112
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
"Stretch" doesn't even make any sense... to me, it's like he's telling the opposing outfielder to stretch to make the catch... I prefer "get up" in this situation... As far as One-Dog, I think Lance made it up on his own, and requested that Hawk use it...

SoxxoS
05-28-2004, 12:38 PM
How about "Brooklyn bounce"?

Meixner007
05-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I really like hawkisms...especially watching the fans of other teams get so annoyed. The only thing I can think of is when, and I know he's a fan, he starts "giving an ulitmatum" during an at bat. For example when one of our pitchers is on the hill and there's a 3-and something count, he'll say "come on, can't lose him here." And inevitabley he'll walk him. It just seems like when he starts pulling for a guy, pitcher or batter, it puts a black curse on them.

Railsplitter
05-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Strech. I heard him say "stretch" on a deep hit to center and Torii Hunter stretched to snag it.

Voice of Reason
05-28-2004, 12:51 PM
When does he say "bow your neck"? I don't remember that one.

Clembasbal
05-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I like Hawk, he is one of the best in the game but the whole "He just missed it" has gotta go.

Two that I love, that I do not hear any more...

"He's in the cat-bird seat."
"That's a hang-wiff'um."

skottyj242
05-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I like most of them but I think my favorite is "sacks packed with Sox"

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
When does he say "bow your neck"? I don't remember that one.

I've heard him use it a few times this year particularly when a Sox pitcher is in a tough spot he says "So and So bow your neck now." I don't have a clue what it means.

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Another one I just thought of that I don't particularly like is "duck snort."

RKMeibalane
05-28-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't like "stretch."

As far as what it means, Hawk is trying to tell the ball to stretch, as though doing so will allow it to travel over the fence for a home run. He explained the tern sometime last season. If you ask me, I think he uses far too often. Frank hit a ball the other day that was clearly a home run, and Hawk still started screaming, "Stretch, stretch!"

I like Hawk, but he really needs to think of some new catch-phrases.

controlled chaos
05-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Perhaps he shouldn't say anything. :smile:

Honestly I don't mind Hawk. He's passionate about winning and that's alright in my book. My friends and I are always using hawkisms when we're out watching the sox. I like all of em....

pudge
05-28-2004, 02:56 PM
He's doing a lot of "Stay fair.... stay fair...." on very obvious foul balls.

Other than that, I LOVE hawk!

Procol Harum
05-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
"Can o' corn."

That's not a Hawkism, it's an old baseball-ism for an easy fly ball. Referred back to the olden days in grocery stores when they would keep a lot of their canned goods stacked way up high and stock boys or clerks would use a pole to knock the desired can off the shelf, usually catching it with their apron--hence, as easy as "a can of corn."

iwannago
05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
I like all the Hawkisms. It makes him unique.

:) :) :)

GoSox2K3
05-28-2004, 03:15 PM
"Stretch!" is my least favorite.

2nd least favorite: He gone!!

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
That's not a Hawkism, it's an old baseball-ism for an easy fly ball. Referred back to the olden days in grocery stores when they would keep a lot of their canned goods stacked way up high and stock boys or clerks would use a pole to knock the desired can off the shelf, usually catching it with their apron--hence, as easy as "a can of corn."
Thanks Procul for the historic info. This means that "can o' corn" is a BOGUS HAWKISM that he should refrain from using!

If I have to pick another, then, I side with pudge on the "stay fair! stay fair!" nonsense. I've gone running for the TV expecting a HR shot several times this year, only to watch a ball drift into the stands 50 feet from the pole. :angry:

SSN721
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I am what you call a Hawk Harrelson Fan, I celebrate his entire catalog. :D:

Iwritecode
05-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I have to agree with the majority here and say I don't like the "stretch" call.

"Can o' corn" and "ducksnort" are ok.

How can anyone not like "rack em up", "he gone", or "you can put it on the board"? They always mean the Sox are doing something good.

At least that's how I look at it. :smile:

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Stretch bothers me because when he's wrong he just looks dumb.

MRKARNO
05-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Thanks Procul for the historic info. This means that "can o' corn" is a BOGUS HAWKISM that he should refrain from using!

I dont see what the problem is. Does absolutely everything he says have to be unique?? He has the most unique game-calling phrases in baseball still

ScottyTheSoxFan
05-28-2004, 03:53 PM
i hate stretch, its almost as bad as bermans "back, back, back gone" i hate that.

i also dont really like "I love it when you analyze"

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont see what the problem is. Does absolutely everything he says have to be unique?? He has the most unique game-calling phrases in baseball still
I guess my sarcasm wasn't showing. The crack about bogus hawkisms should have been in teal.

I agree Hawk is awesome. Whenever I can, I crank the volume on the TV so all the neighbours can hear "You can put it on the boooaaaaaard....YES!!!!" :cool:

wwjd
05-28-2004, 04:11 PM
re: "bow your neck"
heck guys, I always thought he's saying "bull your neck" in other words, bear down.
doesn't that make more sense than bow your neck ?
btw i like hawk !

WhteSox725
05-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by wwjd
re: "bow your neck"
heck guys, I always thought he's saying "bull your neck" in other words, bear down.
doesn't that make more sense than bow your neck ?
btw i like hawk !

That makes sense. I was thinking bow not as bow down but bow as in bow and arrow, ie curve, which is where I didn't know what the heck he meant by it. Your explanation makes a lot more sense though. :smile:

MikeKreevich
05-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by WhteSox725
Can someone tell me what "Bow your neck" means anyway? I hear him saying this quite a bit this year but don't know what it means.
A lot of Hawk's expressions have their origins in the country. To understand "Bow your neck", you have to visualize a plow horse getting ready for a heavy pull. His head is down, his neck is bowed and his hoofs are planted. "Bow your neck" means give a strong effort.
I believe "ducksnort" is a cleaned up version of the baseball term.

MarkM2112
05-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to "Grab Some Bench!" when the other team struck out? I know that it was replaced with "He Gone!", but does anyone know the reason why it was changed?

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Not sure if this is considered a Hawkism, or if it is said by all announcers, but I just heard Chip hope the Cubs put a crooked number on the board. If it's said by all, no big deal, but if not, that makes me kind of mad. :angry:

TheBull19
05-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Did Hawk come with "Little Bulldog" for Greg Hibbard and "One Dog" for Lance Johnson?

He tried giving Robin Ventura a nickname, "Sweet Swingin Robin" but it never caught on.

I think he was the one who came up w/ the Big Hurt and started calling Jack McDowell " Blackjack", too. Oh, yeah - and "deacon" for Warren Newsom - that was a pretty good one. Much better than adding -y to the end of player's names like certain better left unnamed broadcasters do.

BTW - I always thought Pilgrim would be a good nickname for Wunsch - he's just got that look to him.

Cellview22
05-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I love "STRETCH!" when it goes out, but I hate it when he says "STRETCH!, OH, He just missed it".

LuvSox
05-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Don't care for "Stretch". He could bring back "Grab some bench"

Huisj
05-28-2004, 07:51 PM
i wish he'd just add the s onto the he in he gone so that it would be he's gone. he sounds like a phony when he says it like a little kid or someone who doesn't speak good english. i liked grab some bench more than he gone anyway.

Jeremy
05-29-2004, 12:52 AM
unlike most of you I love "Stretch!", especially when he keeps saying it as it enters the outfielders glove and there is no hope for anything but an out. The "Strecth" is made if he also says "git up!"

I voted for "he just missed it" because one it's depressing, and sometimes he says it when Paulie pops up to the shortstop. I don't mind all the "Ozzieball" sayings, but it seems like if Ozzie ever got canned that Hawk would in some way start to criticize all the Ozzieball.

Jeremy
05-29-2004, 12:53 AM
he used to say he's gone sometimes... he doesn't anymore. He gone is waaaay better in my opinion. It's more original.

StillMissOzzie
05-29-2004, 01:39 AM
I like most all of the Hawk-isms, except for "Ball four base hit", which almost comes out as one 4-syllable word. The main reason I don't like it is because it seems like it's always a kiss of death. That is, it seems like it always ends up being strike 3 or an easy out.

SMO