PDA

View Full Version : pitching observations

rcescato
05-28-2004, 10:13 AM
So far we have done an excellent job with our pitching. I give Guillen and Cooper all the credit for handling our staff to date.
There was even a mention on Cooper in one of the papers. Our bullpen is the least used in all of baseball. Also did anyone notice the resemblance of the flubs pitching staff and the DL after winning the Division compared to the Sox in 2001 after we won the division.
We actually made the top ten on the Power Poll of espn. The #4 team is a joke. What the heck are the Flubs at #4 for?
They are not the 4th best team in baseball right now.

Rich

firejauron
05-28-2004, 10:29 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised by our starters thus far, particularly Schoenweis(sp) and Garland. Esteban is starting to look like the pitcher he was last year. Buerhle has looked awesome! The only thing I worry about is the amount of pitches some of these guys have thrown thus far.

The bullpen has been pretty decent. Shingo has been a nice addition. Marte is going to be ok. Koch has looked better this year. I like our middle relief, especially with Cotts in the pen.

If we can acquire an additional starter, we'll be set (I'm sure every team in baseball is saying this right now). Ideally, I am hoping we can get a guy who could settle in as the 2nd or 3rd starter and move Garland and Schoenweiss back to 4 and 5.

Speaking of 5th starters, is Rauch going to throw Saturday?

soxtalker
05-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by firejauron
I've been pleasantly surprised by our starters thus far, particularly Schoenweis(sp) and Garland. Esteban is starting to look like the pitcher he was last year. Buerhle has looked awesome! The only thing I worry about is the amount of pitches some of these guys have thrown thus far.

The bullpen has been pretty decent. Shingo has been a nice addition. Marte is going to be ok. Koch has looked better this year. I like our middle relief, especially with Cotts in the pen.

If we can acquire an additional starter, we'll be set (I'm sure every team in baseball is saying this right now). Ideally, I am hoping we can get a guy who could settle in as the 2nd or 3rd starter and move Garland and Schoenweiss back to 4 and 5.

Speaking of 5th starters, is Rauch going to throw Saturday?

Guess I'll post another "glass-half-empty" comment, as I did in a similar thread yesterday. I'm not as comfortable with our relief staff as many of you. After Takatsu, my comfort level starts to drop off. Koch has a great record, but I still get nervous in close game. Marte is not the same pitcher as last year. The relief staff was fine in the past two blow-out games, but what about the day before? They didn't exactly keep the game close.

I don't mean to be terribly negative here, and I realize that every relief staff and most pitchers have their ups and downs. But blow-out games are not a good test of a pitching staff, when we can expect close games in the playoffs. I just think we could use some improvement in this department.

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Guess I'll post another "glass-half-empty" comment, as I did in a similar thread yesterday. I'm not as comfortable with our relief staff as many of you. After Takatsu, my comfort level starts to drop off. Koch has a great record, but I still get nervous in close game. Marte is not the same pitcher as last year. The relief staff was fine in the past two blow-out games, but what about the day before? They didn't exactly keep the game close.

I don't mean to be terribly negative here, and I realize that every relief staff and most pitchers have their ups and downs. But blow-out games are not a good test of a pitching staff, when we can expect close games in the playoffs. I just think we could use some improvement in this department.

We need to make a move for a dominant middle reliever and let Marte work out whatever seems to be bothering him.