PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5.28.04

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Well, today was a big test Print Media Wise. Sox Win a big game last nite, by a Big Margin, and post back-to-back shutouts for the First time since 1995. While they get some nice pics in the papers, we DIDNT get as many stories as you would think.
I guess its a start .........
On FOX today, they were very Vocal in praising the "red hot" white sox. Cub bimbette Nancy Loo pointed out how well they were playing and Wolf said "we have to put the SOX on the lead story today, theyre in 1st place. And the cubs didnt play".
He laughed about that, but pointed something out, He asked where were the Fans last nite, He said SOX fans need to start showing up, the team is doing very well, ashamed nooooone was at the place last nite.

Cubune:
3 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
1 cub story
4 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training.......
CUBS 749
SOX 516

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Henry,

Be real, "not as many stories as you would think"!? C'mon, 5-3 at the Trib and 4-1 at the Sun-times is a SOX BLOWOUT by current Chicago press standards. Could it be our high score for the year?

On Wolf's attendance comments: hopefully the Sox and Halos (#1 and #3 records in MLB) and improving weather will get folks out to the park. Sox currently have 4th lowest home attendance in AL ...

itsnotrequired
05-28-2004, 09:48 AM
The split today was about what I expected. You would hope so with a home shutout and the Other Team not even playing. The live coverage after the game on channel 7 was nice too.

Dan H
05-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Reporters telling fans to show up is old. What do they care if they stadium is filled or not? Secondly, I don't think anyone is going to run out to the park just because Bruce Wolf tells them to. The media needs to shut up on this issue already.

A more interesting potential development is the Sox making the playoffs and Cubs staying at home. Then how will the media justify its meaningless Cubbie hype?

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Henry,

Be real, "not as many stories as you would think"!? C'mon, 5-3 at the Trib and 4-1 at the Sun-times is a SOX BLOWOUT by current Chicago press standards. Could it be our high score for the year?

Our "HIGH" was last year, when we got Colon. Think we outdid the cubs like 10-1 and 10-3. With the Corporate-Giant off yesterday, I was thinking we'd get 7 or 8 stories out of these guys. We gained some ground and got a lot of "Press" yesterday and this morning. Best part of today? NO LIVE REPORTS about The Messiah, and NO MURPHY! nice relaxed show this morning. covered both teams.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cubune:
3 cub stories
5 sox stories

Cub-Times:
1 cub story
4 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training.......
CUBS 749
SOX 516

Not to be a proverbial dark cloud, but *** did the Cubs to to deserve three stories in the Tribune? They were not playing at all. How can they manufacture three stories out of that? How many stories does the Trib publish about the Sox the day after an off day? If it isn't an equal amount, then the Trib's bias is as plain as day. :angry: Anway, it's nice to see the Sox get their due after two shutout wins against one of the best hitting teams in the majors.

soxtalker
05-28-2004, 10:17 AM
I just read the Tribune, and, while I wasn't counting stories, my impression was that it was dominated by Sox coverage. As far as comments on TV about lack of attendance are concerned, I think that can be viewed positively. Saying that the team is playing great, yet there are plenty of good seats at the ball park, probably encourages people to come out.

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I just read the Tribune, and, while I wasn't counting stories, my impression was that it was dominated by Sox coverage. As far as comments on TV about lack of attendance are concerned, I think that can be viewed positively. Saying that the team is playing great, yet there are plenty of good seats at the ball park, probably encourages people to come out.

Agree, think tv was telling people to get out there............

SSN721
05-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker

I also agree, I dont have season tix but I do my part, already been to at least 11 games (cant quite remeber now, dont save stubs :D: ). Like to hear that they are putting the word out positively to more people then just those that go to this website that already know about it. Plus a major sportsguy encouraging it might let the general public know it isnt a land of thugs there and a good place to watch a game, might put them more at ease. I dont know, maybe I am just being too optomistic thinking that. ALl I know is cant wait to see my third game this week tongiht. :D:

C-Dawg
05-28-2004, 09:45 PM
If I may, I'd like to piggyback onto Hanger's thread my weekly summary of Billy Corgan's "Wrigleyville Report" heard on Friday mornings on WXRT.

WXRT host Lin Brehmer started by telling a sleepy and disinterested Corgan that his (Corgan's) Report was mentioned on RollingStone.com, and on the CNN "Entertainment" news crawl.

Billy started his report by telling us that Cub fans are worried, but he (Corgan) is optimistic because the Cubs have "character". No mention as to what this "character" is.

A couple mentions were made of the Cubs' cold bats. Brehmer theorized that without Sosa in the clubhouse, the rest of the team isn't being energized by Sosa's boombox full of salsa music. Brehmer added that ballplayers like all kinds of music, including hip hop, death metal, etc... and he (Brehmer) isn't necessarily familiar with those genres.

That was about it. Billy never said more than about two sentences. Brehmer did all the talking. In other words, it was a "Report about Nothing". They could have made better use of the time by expanding the traffic report.

NOW HERE'S THE BEST PART: Brehmer precedes Corgan's report with a "Baseball Briefs" of his own, which DOES mention the Sox. He mentioned the Sox' clobbering of the Rangers last night. But THREE TIMES he mispronounced Juan Uribe's name as "Yurribbie" ---- As in Ribbie & Rhubarb!! My God, just watching a couple games with the Hawk and DJ and he'd know its YurEEbay! What a tard!

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

NOW HERE'S THE BEST PART: Brehmer precedes Corgan's report with a "Baseball Briefs" of his own, which DOES mention the Sox. He mentioned the Sox' clobbering of the Rangers last night. But THREE TIMES he mispronounced Juan Uribe's name as "Yurribbie" ---- As in Ribbie & Rhubarb!! My God, just watching a couple games with the Hawk and DJ and he'd know its YurEEbay! What a tard!

Or just knowing some Spanish. It's not like the Cubs don't have latin players...