PDA

View Full Version : Funniest/Stupidest thing you've heard at a game?

Bobby Thigpen
05-28-2004, 08:34 AM
What is the funniest/stupidest (insert Cub fan stories here) thing you've ever heard while at a game?

I have many, but two stand out.

1. At a Sox/Orioles game a couple of years ago I was sitting down in right and this guy was giving it to Jay Gibbons pretty good all game long. Nothing nasty, but some pretty good natured heckling. Stuff like "you stink Gibbons", and "it's your fault". Gibbons was having a pretty good day, but the Os were still losing. Anyway late in the game Carlos (I believe) comes up and jacks a bomb to left to pretty much end the game. This guy stands up and screams "It's all your fault Gibbons!!" At which point Gibbons puts his face in his glove and starts laughing. As did everyone else in the section.

2. At the game Wed a guy with a Sosa jersey and Cubs hat was sitting a couple rows in front of me and he lets out this huge sneeze. At which point his buddy next to him looks at him and says "Are you alright, or do you need to go on the DL?"

Funny stuff.

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Walking on the concourse, I laugh at a cub fan. CubFan
immediately takes a page out of My Book and says "yeah, but whos in 1st??". The SOX I reply. "and the Reds are in 1st too by the way." Cub Fan was stunned.

illiniwhitesox
05-28-2004, 11:36 AM
I want to mention a similar thread a couple of weeks ago b/c I think it is funny how stupid Cubs fans can be.

I make it a point to hit as many ballparks as I can when I travel. The three dumbest questions I have ever heard at a MLB game are as follows:
1) Do you know where right field is?
2) How many innings are in a baseball game?
3) Who is playing today (ie, which teams)?

All three questions were asked to me at Wrigley Field over the past 8 years. I posted this and someone replied that whenever he is at the World's Largest Beer Garden, he likes to keep score. Inevitably, a Cubs fan always asks him what he is doing.

The all time best story I have ever heard, comes from a friend of mine who is a die-hard Cubs fan. He was embarrassed to admit it. He was given premo seats to a game at Wrigley behind the dugout. In the third inning a couple sits down in front of him, dressed in black - obviously, not your baseball type and very late.

The lady opens a large bag that she brought with her. In it is a lap table that she folds out for her and her partner. She then takes out of the bag two plastic plates. She then takes out a set of chopsticks for both of them. Next, she takes out SUSHI!!! and proceeds to place it on the plates.

The friend of mine mentioned that he and his buddies at the game started talking loud enough to be heard, that no one brings Sushi to a baseball game. Nevertheless, the damage was done. I hold this over his head any chance I get. Come to think of it, I hold it over every Cub's fans head whenever I get a chance.

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
When I was in Boston this summer I went to a Yankees/Red Sox game. I was sitting in the bleachers and wearing a Yankee hat, which, of course, made me an immediate target for heckles.

My personal favorite came when I was walking down to buy a drink and I paused at the front of the section to watch a play. Since I have fairly long hair, one of the fans nearby yelled "You can't hang out here, you Yankee-loving hippie!". The name stuck, and soon the entire section was calling me "Yankee Hippie", or, as it was quickly shortened, "Yippie". I had two dozen Bostonians cheering "Yippe! Yippe! Yippe!" within a matter of innings.

I didn't get as much crap as the Yankee fan with a mullet three rows beneath me, though. He made a fine comback, though; when somebody asked him if his mullet was from 1980 he replied "No, it's from 1986." That shut them up.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 11:47 AM
This is DESTINED for the Parking Lot....

HomeFish
05-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Oh, another Boston "experience" --

I went to a Marlins/Red Sox game as well (the one where the Red Sox set a record by scoring 10 runs before the first out) and I swear I sat next to the Red Sox fans from the SNL skit. Everything but the guy taping them was there, and then some. The female kept commenting that "Nohma" was "so friggin' hot" while the guy kept yelling "come on, <player>, BIG KNOCK, BIG KNOCK", which his voice getting rather whiny every time he said "big knock".

At one point the guy started arguing with a man (and WWII veteran) sitting below him who was abou 80 years old. To be truthful, the old man started it when he said he had been going to games since he was 14 and had never sat in front of a more annoying fan, but that just proves my point.

chisoxfan4life
05-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I was at the DH a few weeks ago against the Orioles and Felix Diaz was making his debut. Some girl asked her friend what Diaz first name was, and her friend told her Dan. She really thought it was Dan. They were shouting "Go Dan" the whole time he was warming up. It was funny because everyone was looking around wondering who they were yelling at.

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 01:28 PM
"If it wasn't for that horse, I never would have spent that year at college.

Don't think about that for more than three minutes or blood will shoot out of your nose."

-Lewis Black

Ok, it wasn't at a baseball game, but still. It was pretty funny at the time.

HebrewHammer
05-28-2004, 02:22 PM
During one of the Baltimore games this year I remember DJ comparing Brian Roberts to "some kind of alien from another planet" and "the sox are just earthly beings at his mercy" I can't remember the exact quote, if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it, just a stupid, stupid quote.

thepaulbowski
05-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Two things pop to my mind (both while at Wrigley Field)

1) Two girls are in front of me arguing about something. Finally one of the turns around says, "How periods are there in a baseball game."

2) Some girl (who was proclaiming to have a been a die-hard Cub fan since birth) asks her boyfried who Mr. Cub is?

joeynach
05-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I want to mention a similar thread a couple of weeks ago b/c I think it is funny how stupid Cubs fans can be.

I make it a point to hit as many ballparks as I can when I travel. The three dumbest questions I have ever heard at a MLB game are as follows:
1) Do you know where right field is?
2) How many innings are in a baseball game?
3) Who is playing today (ie, which teams)?

All three questions were asked to me at Wrigley Field over the past 8 years. I posted this and someone replied that whenever he is at the World's Largest Beer Garden, he likes to keep score. Inevitably, a Cubs fan always asks him what he is doing.

The all time best story I have ever heard, comes from a friend of mine who is a die-hard Cubs fan. He was embarrassed to admit it. He was given premo seats to a game at Wrigley behind the dugout. In the third inning a couple sits down in front of him, dressed in black - obviously, not your baseball type and very late.

The lady opens a large bag that she brought with her. In it is a lap table that she folds out for her and her partner. She then takes out of the bag two plastic plates. She then takes out a set of chopsticks for both of them. Next, she takes out SUSHI!!! and proceeds to place it on the plates.

The friend of mine mentioned that he and his buddies at the game started talking loud enough to be heard, that no one brings Sushi to a baseball game. Nevertheless, the damage was done. I hold this over his head any chance I get. Come to think of it, I hold it over every Cub's fans head whenever I get a chance.

I also have some great wrigley quotes from goin to games there. The best was last year at the CUBS VS SOX game. I was walking in the gate and there were like i think 2 or 3 guys behind me. Yuppie, Trendy guys with black died hair and wearing t-shirts from goodwill probably. I heard one say to the others "So who are they playing today". It was the CUBS vs. SOX game. Some other famous quotes from wrigley.

A child sitting in front of me asked his dad how many outs were there in the inning, the dad replied 3. The answer is 6.

I have heard numerous times asked what all that latin and numbers mean on that house in right field. Even i know what it is.

I was keeping score with my uncle in the upper deck in like 5th grade. He was helping me obviously. Some guys probably 18 to 20 or so asked me a 5th grader what was i doing all game long.

I was at the corked bat game in no other than the right field bleachers, standing of course. When it happened and the word was flying around cork, cork, corked bat this corked bat that. I must have heard a dozen times "whats cork" what is a "corked bat" "why would he cork is bat" blah blah blah.

Vernam
05-28-2004, 02:59 PM
My first Sox game vs. KC Athletics, which I think must have been '66. Sitting in the reserved section, a Cub fan behind us. The guy was probably harmless, but my dad got hotter and hotter with each remark about how great Wrigley was in comparison to Old Comiskey. Finally, the guy said, "You know, the ball isn't as white here." My dad lived another 33 years, but that was a close call. :D:

VC

White_Sock
05-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh, another Boston "experience" --

Last year I went to a Bosox @ A's game for the divisional series. The A's were kicking butt so all the Red Sox fans (there were alot of Red Sox fans there) were leaving in the 8th. As they walked up the aisle the Oakland fans would scream "1918" at them until they were out of view. It was funny because the rowdy Red Sox fans had that face on like they wanted to throw a punch, but you simply can't do this in Oakland.

Realist
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one vendor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cane at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he threw his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

You can't beat fun at the old ballpark. :D:

Randar68
05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one verndor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cain at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he through his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

If true, that's a good one. They must have had some history!

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one verndor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cain at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he through his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

ROFLMFAO. That is hilarious.

RichFitztightly
05-28-2004, 03:59 PM
"You know, when you're a thousand miles from civilization and you come to the land of chocolate... you go WOOOO-HAAAAAA!!!"

-from a dead head looking 20 year old wearing a Pearl Jam shirt summer of '97

Realist
05-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
If true, that's a good one. They must have had some history!

Oh, it's true. At the time I was wondering if there was a history too. Neither one of them brought up any past run-ins and they eventually cooled down and it didn't get physical.

I imagine reading a police incident/arrest report listing "walking cane" and "margarita hose" as weapons would be pretty humorous too.

maurice
05-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
CubFan immediately takes a page out of My Book and says "yeah, but whos in 1st??". The SOX I reply. "and the Reds are in 1st too by the way." Cub Fan was stunned.

This sort of thing has happened to me numerous times over the past couple of years. I can understand not knowing what place the Sox are in . . . but your own team? I guess they keep reading Kiley's "cubbie WS" crap and think that means the cubs must be in first place at all times.

The_Floridian
05-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
"You know, when you're a thousand miles from civilization and you come to the land of chocolate... you go WOOOO-HAAAAAA!!!"

-from a dead head looking 20 year old wearing a Pearl Jam shirt summer of '97

Wow.

I mean...Wow.

TheBull19
05-28-2004, 05:02 PM
At a Bartolo Colon spring training, I had this a-hole behind me keep shouting out "Burrito Colon-oscopy" whenever he went out to the mound. When Graffanino came to bat he yelled out Graffanino in some pseduo-itallian chef voice. After a few annoying innings of this he actually called someone on his cell to tell him how funny it was. Gotta love morons.

kojak
05-28-2004, 07:01 PM
I believe the year was 2000 and I was standing out on the left-centerfield concourse at New Comiskey. There's this one vendor at the park that Im sure many of you have seen. He's looks like he's about 80 year old, about 5'7" and has white hair. Sometimes he's the guy with the margarita "jet pack" strapped to his back and sometimes he sells programs at a podium on the concourse by gate 5.

On this day he was wearing the margarita thingy. There was a guy sitting on a folding chair just inside the plastic chains in the handicapped section. He had a cane at his side and was maybe about 70 years old. I was talking to him about the '59 Sox and the Sox in general for about 20 minutes when the vendor walked by. "Yo, margaritaville!" the 70 year old suddenly yelled out to the 80 year old vendor. "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME, PUNK?!" yelled back the vendor. With that he threw his arms out to the side in a confrontational kind of way and the hose to the margarita back pack went flying behind him and began snaking on the ground like a fully functioning and unattended fire hose. Margaritas sprayed onto the concourse behind him. The 70 year old eased himself out of the chair with the aid of his cane steadied himself and said, "What? You wanna throw down with me?!" They were both very very pissed and I was certain there was a good chance I was about to see a donnybrook with possible broken hip repercussions. I began to laugh a nervous laugh at first, then began to laugh uncontrollably and began looking around for a hidden camera and Alan Funt.

Was one of these two guys Frank Costanza by any chance? :D:

C-Dawg
05-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I posted this and someone replied that whenever he is at the World's Largest Beer Garden, he likes to keep score. Inevitably, a Cubs fan always asks him what he is doing.

LOL I was going to post something like this! Back about 1980, I was at Wrigley at a Cubs-Reds game (being from Cincy originally I of course was rooting for the Reds) and I was keeping score on one of those cheapie Program-Scorecards they had at the Urinal. Braindead Cub fans were constantly asking what the hell I was doing with all those silly and strange notations and numbers. I guess they've never seen anyone keep score before.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Funniest thing I ever heard was during Thursday's Sox-Rangers game on the Rangers' radio broadcast. Early in the game, when Rangers' catcher Huckaby was up to bat, a Sox fan (presumably) heckled him, yelling "Hey Huckleberry!"

Don't know why, but it was hilarious. :D:

southsidegirl
05-28-2004, 10:42 PM
There were some obnoxious drunk girls in our section in right field once, yelling, "MAGGLIO!", trying to get his attention last year. The guy behind us stood up and yelled "MAGGLIO" and lifted up his shirt. It was hilarious.

Another time, Carlos was picked off at first and the entire row behind us started screaming "B***S***" over and over. Then the entire section started screaming it.

JackParkman
05-28-2004, 11:45 PM
I was at a game at Wrigley during the 2002 season when a female Scrub fan leaned over to me and asked "Why isn't Grace playing today?"
I had to break the news to her that her beloved Gracie hadn't played for the Cubs in two years.

StillMissOzzie
05-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by JackParkman
I was at a game at Wrigley during the 2002 season when a female Scrub fan leaned over to me and asked "Why isn't Grace playing today?"
I had to break the news to her that her beloved Gracie hadn't played for the Cubs in two years.

Since nobody else said it, welcome to WSI!!!

SMO
:gulp:

bjmarte
05-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by TheBull19
At a Bartolo Colon spring training, I had this a-hole behind me keep shouting out "Burrito Colon-oscopy" whenever he went out to the mound. When Graffanino came to bat he yelled out Graffanino in some pseduo-itallian chef voice. After a few annoying innings of this he actually called someone on his cell to tell him how funny it was. Gotta love morons.

That HAD to have been ncorg

StillMissOzzie
05-29-2004, 01:25 AM
This didn't happen at a game, but it's so Scrub-like, I thought I'd post it again. This is a snippent of a converstion between me and a Scrub Fan (SF) from back when Sosa & McGuire were hitting juiced-up baseballs at a torrid pace:

SF: So what did the Cubs do today?
me: They lost 8-0
SF: Did Sammy hit one?
me: ?????????

SMO
:gulp:

gosox41
05-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
What is the funniest/stupidest (insert Cub fan stories here) thing you've ever heard while at a game?

I have many, but two stand out.

1. At a Sox/Orioles game a couple of years ago I was sitting down in right and this guy was giving it to Jay Gibbons pretty good all game long. Nothing nasty, but some pretty good natured heckling. Stuff like "you stink Gibbons", and "it's your fault". Gibbons was having a pretty good day, but the Os were still losing. Anyway late in the game Carlos (I believe) comes up and jacks a bomb to left to pretty much end the game. This guy stands up and screams "It's all your fault Gibbons!!" At which point Gibbons puts his face in his glove and starts laughing. As did everyone else in the section.

2. At the game Wed a guy with a Sosa jersey and Cubs hat was sitting a couple rows in front of me and he lets out this huge sneeze. At which point his buddy next to him looks at him and says "Are you alright, or do you need to go on the DL?"

Funny stuff.

I remember being at a game in 2000 when some drunk was talking baseball with me. We were going through the line up (or he was I was just nodding) and he said "That Singletary is going to be a great centerfielder" obviously referring to Singleton. I then pointed out that Singletar was a great football player, but he didn't get it.

At another game (before the Sox signed Wil Cordero) all the fans were booing Cordero when he came up to bat. Some guy asked his buddies why everyone is on this guy. His buddy mentioned the wife beatingm and this guy stands up and yells 'Prick' in a real lout voice. It was funny because there was about 12000 people in the stadium and a lot of people heard him.

Bob

TornLabrum
05-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Last year during the first game of the Cubs-Sox series there were two incidents that sum up all that I feel about most Cubs fans, at least under a certain age.

1) During the first game of the series, after singing TMOTTBG, a Cubs fan sitting across the aisle from me shouts, "Yeah, real original!" He was flabbergasted when I told him that the tradition started here in 1977. I don't think he believed me, though.

2) During the last game of the series (Sox lost) a particularly obnoxious Cubs fan was sitting two rows behind me. The stream of four-letter words shouted at the top of his lungs was seemingly endless. Someone told him to tone it down because there were kids seated nearby. Genius boy's response: "**** the kids!"

That was just before security came and escorted him out to great applause.

SSN721
05-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by JackParkman

I just gotta say, welcome to WSI and awesome name. One of the greatest fictional Sox players in all of fictional movie history. :D:

jenmcm76
05-29-2004, 01:04 PM
I was at a game about 5-6 years ago, and there were a guy sitting next to us who didn't know much about baseball, trying to explain the game to someone who knew even LESS about baseball.

The know-nothing asked the know-little, "How fast does the pitcher throw?"
The know-little replied, "about 150 mph"

And no, Sidd Finch was not on the mound.

White_Sock
05-29-2004, 01:23 PM
My good friend who's a diehard Padres fan and lives down in San Diego was at Petco for a Cubs game. Anyways, he got cut off because he was walking up to Cubs fans and screaming "1908" and "1984" in the fancy outfield bar they have there. He was also razzing them because of the ball that went through Leon Durhams legs in 84. The best part is that a couple days later he saw an article down in San Diego from a cubs fan saying something along the lines of "We don't like the new ballpark because of the way we're treated by the Padres fans."

:hawk

San Diego.......YES

pinwheels3530
05-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I was at the first game of the SOX/cubs (winning team name first) series in 2001 sitting in the bleachers. When two stupid cub fans behind me were going threw the sox media guide when one of them commented (who's this Bobby Howry guy that's a stupid name) Bobby was on the mound pitching. They started talking about how the Twins were coming to Wrigley for the first time. One of them started shouting "Kirby Puckett, Kirby Puckett, yeah we get to see Puckett" I thought too myself Puckett has been retired for five years and just got inducted into the HOF. The myth is true some cub fans are REALLY stupid!!! At that moment Howry struck out Sammy after a long at bat in the ninth, I turned around and yelled "that's who Bobby Howry is" they got up and left. :gulp:

illiniwhitesox
05-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I was at the first game of the SOX/cubs (winning team name first) series in 2001 sitting in the bleachers. When two stupid cub fans behind me were going threw the sox media guide when one of them commented (who's this Bobby Howry guy that's a stupid name) Bobby was on the mound pitching. They started talking about how the Twins were coming to Wrigley for the first time. One of them started shouting "Kirby Puckett, Kirby Puckett, yeah we get to see Puckett" I thought too myself Puckett has been retired for five years and just got inducted into the HOF.

Even worse, I believe Puckett was facing legal problems right around then. He was accused of sexual harassment and his wife had turned against him in the press. His name was plastered all over the papers. How could you not know he was retired?

kermittheefrog
05-30-2004, 03:38 PM
I was at Buehrle's one hitter against the D-Rays in 2001. I snuck down to some nice seats behind the Sox dugout for the game and some suit next to me just sat talking on his cell phone the entire game. In the ninth inning the crowd is on their feet for the final few outs, the guy turns to me and asks whats going on. I told him Mark Buehrle is finishing up a one hitter and he asks me "Who is Mark Buehrle?". I had to proceed to explain to him who Buehrle was. This man claimed to be a Sox fan. Sad.

CanOfCorn
05-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Stupidest --

Sox-Yankees game. Bandwagon Yankees fans would stand up every time the Yanks scored, rub it in to everybody around them. Problem was, the ringleader was wearing a Red Sox hat. Somebody called him on it. He got this sheepish look on his face, then said "Scoreboard!" and flicked the Sox fan off.

Then some guy threw up behind me.

Funniest -

Sox-Yankees game, sitting in the right field seats. These three guys are heckling Paul O'Neill all game long. The really good kind of heckling, not just insults, but chatter including, "Coming at ya, 2-1," and "2-1, look alive out there!"

Then after they get some beers in them, they start a chant, "Pauly Sucks Balls!" with each guy taking a word. After a few more beers, it becomes "Pauly Balls Sucks!" Good times.

Then at a Sox-Twins game, there was some chubby kid in a Red Sox hat that was standing in an aisle talking to his dad for about 3 minutes. The guy behind me yells, "Hey Dungeons and Dragons! Sit down!"

roofshot121
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Haha yeah it might have been the same game w/ Cordero before he was on the sox, he went down swigging and this guy stood up and yelled "maybe you should have used a ball and not your wife for BP" the whole section gave a "i cant believe he just said that" pause before bursting into laughter

C-Dawg
05-31-2004, 04:39 PM
This didn't happen at a game, but it was a conversation I had with two Cub fans last fall, the weekend the Cubs clinched their division. They were trying to figure out how the playoffs were going to go, since a couple races were still undecided. Who's going to be the wild card? What about Florida? What do you think the Giants will do? After all this speculation, I stepped in, and said "You know, it sure was a lot simpler when there were just two divisions in each league, East and West". One of the fans, who is in his mid-40s by the way, just looked at me as though I were a moron, and replied "That was way back in the Sixties!". Evidently he has no baseball memory prior to joining the Cub bandwagon in 2003. (Everyone knows the East-West alignment was, what, 1970-1994?)

Hangar18
05-31-2004, 05:22 PM
'' whoooooooooo, oooooooooooooo, the cubs rock!"
"why do the 'rock'?"
"because............they just do! whooooo ooooooooo"
"I dont understand........what do you mean?"
"We have the tradition! and the games are more fun! whooo oo"
"tradition? what do you mean? You mean the world championships?"
"yeah! everyone knows the CUbs, yankees have tradition!
whooooo ooooooooooooo, go cubbies!"
"you guys havnt had 2 winning seasons in a row since Nixon"
"Your full of it! thats not true! your just jealous cuz we have more 'Tradition'.............whooooooo ooooooooooooooo go cubs!"

Railsplitter
05-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
This didn't happen at a game, but it was a conversation I had with two Cub fans last fall, the weekend the Cubs clinched their division. They were trying to figure out how the playoffs were going to go, since a couple races were still undecided. Who's going to be the wild card? What about Florida? What do you think the Giants will do? After all this speculation, I stepped in, and said "You know, it sure was a lot simpler when there were just two divisions in each league, East and West". One of the fans, who is in his mid-40s by the way, just looked at me as though I were a moron, and replied "That was way back in the Sixties!". Evidently he has no baseball memory prior to joining the Cub bandwagon in 2003. (Everyone knows the East-West alignment was, what, 1970-1994?)
1969-1970.

Railsplitter
05-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
1969-1970. 1969-1993

C-Dawg
05-31-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
1969-1993

Oh, yeah. I tried to erase everything about 1994 from my memory...

:(:

Wsoxmike59
06-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Back in 1991 I went to a Sox-Rangers game at new Comiskey with a buddy of mine. A few rows in front of us were a couple of guys from TX in town to catch the game.

As the game went on there was some good natured ribbing between the Sox fans and the guys from TX, but the best "shot" of the night went to a Sox fan who got tired of the one Ranger fan who kept standing up and cheering for TX.

A Sox fan yelled out to the offending fan...."Hey Billy Bob....down in front!!"

To which the Ranger fan countered ..."Aaw shucks, I just might have to 2-step all the way back to TX" and proceeded to do the TX two step up the aisle.

The encounter had me in stitches!! :D:

hillbilly
06-01-2004, 07:30 AM
This one easily takes the cake....I know it wasn't from the ballpark but its too good. At a bar the other night and we get into a friendly/heated argument about whos better between the cubs and sox and we go into indivudual players and what not and we come across pitching staffs and the guy says something like id take prior and kerry wood over any sox starter. I reply when Wood wins more than 14 games a season then talk to me about him. His reply.....Yea but how many strikeouts does he have. On that note I just walked away.

monkeypants
06-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Sitting in right field at the Cell back in 2002. Sox are playing Detroit and Robert Fick was named the obligatory Tiger representative for the All Star game that year. Fick wasn't having a great year but each team has to send someone. So he was playing right field that day and a group began chanting "All Star" in the the mocking tone used for Darryl Strawberry. Even Jose Lima who was in the bullpen was laughing his ass off.

alohafri
06-01-2004, 12:32 PM
This one stands out...These two guys were sitting behind us at Ugly Field during a Cubs/Sox game just ripping on the Sox. We were being good, ignoring them.

One guy leaves to go to the bathroom and comes back after Carlos hit one out of the park. He comes back and asks his buddy if he missed anything. The reply...

"Yeah, Carlos Lee hit one onto Waverly Avenue."

There are your Cub fans!

Bobby Thigpen
06-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Good stories.

Another that comes to mind was last season at the next to last homegame I was sitting in the ABSOLUTE last row of the upper deck and there was this bachelor's party in front of us and they had had quite a few by this point. Anyway some of the kids from the naval base were there and everytime they walked up the steps these guys were screaming "Seamen, there's seamen everywhere!!", and "Watch out for the seamen". Pretty tasteless, but pretty funny.

That was also the same game where this girl sitting in front of me turned to her friend after there was an ad for Harray Carrey's restaraunt and asked "Who's Harray Carrey?". To which her friend replied, "Don't ask me, I'm a Cubs fan. I don't know who any of these Sox people are."

alohafri
06-01-2004, 02:29 PM
A couple years ago we were at a Sox game sitting in the first row down in left field, not too far from CLee. During a pitching change, CLee was in left field and then he suddenly ran into the bullpen and in through the doorway. He finally came back out just as the inning was about to start up again, zipping up his pants. I noticed that he still "disappears" like that once in a while, and it's amazing that he's never gotten caught.

---Mrs. Aloha

longshot7
06-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
That was also the same game where this girl sitting in front of me turned to her friend after there was an ad for Harray Carrey's restaraunt and asked "Who's Harray Carrey?". To which her friend replied, "Don't ask me, I'm a Cubs fan. I don't know who any of these Sox people are."

That is classic.

At the Sox/Dodgers game last year, a group of transplanted Cubs fans were nearby, with all their Cub finery. anyway, one vocal girl was notable disappointed that SAMMY was sitting out the game, replaced by some guy named ORDONEZ. She was hot so I didn't have the heart to point out how stupid she was.

JohnJeter
06-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Mrs. JohnJeter and I were at the Shrine for a Sox game last year. We stood up for the 7th inning stretch after the 6th inning, as is the custom for the visitors. We were clearly cheering for the Sox throughout the game, but several Cub fans sitting behind us said "the 7th inning stretch isn't until the middle of the 7th", and no, they weren't being sarcastic. We just shook our heads.