PDA

View Full Version : Hopefull? or not?

inta
05-28-2004, 06:17 AM
I am extremely pleased we shut down the best offense in the AL 2 nights straight after pounding the twinkies...

BUT. those 2 loses to the twins at the cell still haunt me. I'm afraid this team is having one of it's invincible streaks it has every year. hopefully it continues... but... well, you've been watching the sox the past 3 years...

am i the only one cautiously optimistic?

BigEdWalsh
05-28-2004, 06:27 AM
Hopeful? Heck yeah! BUT, definately cautiously optimistic. We're not Cub fans. We're not convinced we're going to the world series just because we're in 1st place at the end of May. I sure do have high hopes though. 1st place feels good at the moment.
:)

Palehose13
05-28-2004, 08:23 AM
WORLD SERIES, BABY!!!!!!!!!

OEO Magglio
05-28-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm very catiously optimistic, I think this is the best team in the al central but we've all seen that really doesn't matter. Here's what I'll say about those first two games at the cell, this is a completely different offense when Willie and Uribe are at the top of the lineup and Juan was sat those first two games.

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Good to see Ozzie quotes from post game saying Uribe's gonna be in the lineup every day somehow and that he's the biggest surprise of the season so far ...

34 Inch Stick
05-28-2004, 09:17 AM
I fully expect this season to go down to the wire with the Twins and Sox being seperated by less than 5 wins.

soxtalker
05-28-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. It is a long season, and the teams (ours and the competition) are going to change by fall due to such factors as injuries and trades. I hope that KW is able to improve an already good team in a few areas. I'd also like to see how we do against some of the other very good teams (e.g., Red Sox, Angels, A's).

duke of dorwood
05-28-2004, 09:55 AM
There will be losses-this team is still not balanced well-but is good enuf to win this division.

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I'm cautiously optimistic. It is a long season, and the teams (ours and the competition) are going to change by fall due to such factors as injuries and trades. I hope that KW is able to improve an already good team in a few areas. I'd also like to see how we do against some of the other very good teams (e.g., Red Sox, Angels, A's).

Well we whipped Texas' arse and they're a solid team. They just picked the wrong division in which to play. Anaheim is gonna be tough, Oakland will be tough on the road but they don't have the big boppers they used to.

Just like the last series, we're gonna have to pitch to win.

Maximo
05-28-2004, 10:03 AM
"Cautiously optimistic" are the catch words for the day. Yet if somebody at Soxfest in January would have guaranteed that we'd be in 1st place by a game going into Memorial Day weekend, I would have run down Rush Street in my 'Speedo'
swimsuit.

soxrme
05-28-2004, 10:40 AM
I believe we will win the division. I would like (as we all do) some more pitching but everyone needs more.
By the way, was at the game Wed. and I was very happy with the new look of the park. The roof makes it look smaller and more like a ballpark now. I however am not crazy about the youth thing in left field

CubKilla
05-28-2004, 10:46 AM
I'll get my hopes up after I see the results against the West Coast teams and Detroit. Plus, the Sox still have to whoop up on the Twins when they play them.

nlentz88
05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
The Sox lost the first game of the home series against Texas, and then shut out the Rangers the next two games. This isn't the first time this season the Sox have lost the series opener and then gone on to tie or win the series. This team seems to be confident it can win on any given day. I'm cautiously optomistic.

The Angels are going to be tough. Our west coast trip could be rough in Oakland, but I wouldn't be surprised if we swept Seattle. Phili, Atlanta, and Montreal don't scare me, but Florida does. And the Cubs? We'll demolish them. Honestly, I don't see any reason why the Sox won't be in first place going into the All Star break.

And that's when we'll see if the Sox have what it takes to not only make the playoffs but actually win in the post-season. That's when Kenny Williams needs to get busy and find us another top starter. If he lands us a #1 or #2 starter, then I'll change my opinion from "cautiously optomistic" or "optomistic." However, no matter what the Sox' record or what trades they make, I don't think I'll ever be as idiotic as the Cub fans who have been saying "Cubs World Series in 2004" all season. I'm a realist, and realistically right now the Sox can win the AL Central. I'll reserve any post-season predictions until after KW gets us another starter and the Sox clinch the division in the second half.

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Actually, taking it a step further, we're 6-9 in the first game of series this year.

By contrast, in remaining games of series we're 21-10. Those are relatively staggering numbers I think.

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by inta

BUT. those 2 loses to the twins at the cell still haunt me.

Me Too. Uribe Sat for those games, anyone remember that?
One of OZZIES Dumber moves this season. Uribe, if he hasnt Noticed, is the SPARKPLUG the SOX have been looking for, and for some pleasant reason, Its making WILLIE HARRIS a better Hitter also, dont discount that. Uribe 1 and Harris 2 is pretty formidable right now. The games we've lost, are the ones where OZZ tried to Shoehorn VALENTIN into the lineup.
Keep him on the bench .............or at least batting 8th.