PDA

View Full Version : Billy Koch

TomC727
05-28-2004, 04:35 AM
I was at the game on Thursday and I am wondering if anyone else noticed Koch's velocity. He was consistantly hitting 95-97 on the gun and at one point hit 98. I think this is a good sign that the old Billy is returning. Any thoughts?

jkrohn
05-28-2004, 04:42 AM
Well if you can trust the gun at the cell (arguable) then it is a great sign. Either way, I am just glad to see him throwing strikes and getting hitters out again. I think he needs to get his swagger back, velocity or no.

Jkrohn

inta
05-28-2004, 07:05 AM
heh.
maybe the sox refusing to play metallica when he comes out of the bullpen has something to do with his erratic starts...

actually according to the tv tonight, he hit 99mph... albeit on a semi-wild pitch on the outside corner... but he did seem to have velocity in his strikouts. getting saves is one thing, but doing so in a true closer matter is another...
a definite good sign since i'm a HUGE koch fan. shut some of the WSI crybabies up!

humansushi
05-28-2004, 07:11 AM
In Japan here I watched the Rangers broadcast of the game, 1 pitch hit 101. The announcers said the scoreboard showed 98, either way, it's coming quick.

livewir
05-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Well, I was watching the game down here in Texas and the it flashed on the screen at 101mph but the announcer stated that the Cell's scoreboard only said 97.

Livewir

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah, he had some unexpected Zing on his fastball.
He got Lucky, he left about 2 of them over the plate, but they
were fouled off. What was Striking (no pun intended) about
his Performance, was HE WAS HITTING HIS SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!
Hes gotten into so much Trouble the last year, because of missing his spots, falling behind, then getting his 85mph "fast" ball rocked. HITTING the SPOT IS SO IMPORTANT because he was basically the worst pitcher ever, just throwing the ball wildly before. I was very very very Impressed with him last nite. You hit your spots, you dont fall behind ....
Nice Job by Koch. If he gets consistent and Locates that Fastball, setting up his Sinker/Curve ............Man! Hes gonna rock out of the bullpen

OEO Magglio
05-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yeah, he had some unexpected Zing on his fastball.
He got Lucky, he left about 2 of them over the plate, but they
were fouled off. What was Striking (no pun intended) about
his Performance, was HE WAS HITTING HIS SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!
Hes gotten into so much Trouble the last year, because of missing his spots, falling behind, then getting his 85mph "fast" ball rocked. HITTING the SPOT IS SO IMPORTANT because he was basically the worst pitcher ever, just throwing the ball wildly before. I was very very very Impressed with him last nite. You hit your spots, you dont fall behind ....
Nice Job by Koch. If he gets consistent and Locates that Fastball, setting up his Sinker/Curve ............Man! Hes gonna rock out of the bullpen
Exactly if this is a sign that indeed Billy is getting or has his velocity back, he's going to be a better pitcher then ever before because he has learned to pitch a little bit.

DaveIsHere
05-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Exactly if this is a sign that indeed Billy is getting or has his velocity back, he's going to be a better pitcher then ever before because he has learned to pitch a little bit.

I agree, he had to try and get people out without that fastball, now he knows how to use his pitches. Also it doesn't look like he is really trying to overthrow the ball so that is great.

soxtalker
05-28-2004, 10:32 AM
The speed is great news. However, I'd like to have some comments about the double that started off the inning. What was the pitch and count? This wasn't a close game, so we can easily overlook it. If it had been a one-run lead, I'm guessing that we would have been talking about how this was typical Koch -- walking a tightrope.

OEO Magglio
05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The speed is great news. However, I'd like to have some comments about the double that started off the inning. What was the pitch and count? This wasn't a close game, so we can easily overlook it. If it had been a one-run lead, I'm guessing that we would have been talking about how this was typical Koch -- walking a tightrope.
It was the first pitch, the sox were up by nine so billy was probably just trying to throw strikes, no big deal.

itsnotrequired
05-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm not totally sure but I think that double was hit off of the very first pitch. All I could think was "Here we go again...". In Koch's defense, he really has had some decent saves in his last few attempts.

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker

EXCELLENT QUESTION........ KOCH threw an excellent pitch,
inside half and High, but Credit the Hitter, he fought it off
and went down the line. That was one time where you
werent like "damit koch, why did you throw it over the middle!"
Billy threw a very good pitch, the hitter luckily got a piece of it.
Again though ....... he LOCATED his piitches :smile:
good signs last nite .........

jabrch
05-28-2004, 10:48 AM
For those who like hating Koch cuz of last year, he has looked excellent in May. His stuff has been excellent - and so have his results.

I am a bit worried that he hasn't gotten much use the past few weeks (only 2 outings in the past 10 days), but I am sure Ozzie doesn't want to bring him in in non-save situations - we know how well he handles those.

OEO Magglio
05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
For those who like hating Koch cuz of last year, he has looked excellent in May. His stuff has been excellent - and so have his results.

I am a bit worried that he hasn't gotten much use the past few weeks (only 2 outings in the past 10 days), but I am sure Ozzie doesn't want to bring him in in non-save situations - we know how well he handles those.
Damaso has not had a lot of work lately and he hasn't worked much for the whole season. That kind of worries me and might be the reason he's off to a little bit of a slow start for him.

WWIII
05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I was at the game too, and noticed the same thing. 97, 97, 98, 97...it was awesome. And seeing that television broadcasts around the world were clocking him at 101mph, I believe the Cell numbers were probably pretty accurate. It's great to see. Becasue of last year, he was forced to become a better pitcher, instead of just a thrower. Now he's getting velocity back slowly, but surely, and he has some better skills to work with. I love it! Keep it up Koch!

CubKilla
05-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

The less the Sox are able to see of Botch, the better.

The Sox won't be a legit contender until a few moves are made. A new closer is one of them.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by WWIII
I was at the game too, and noticed the same thing. 97, 97, 98, 97...it was awesome. And seeing that television broadcasts around the world were clocking him at 101mph, I believe the Cell numbers were probably pretty accurate. It's great to see. Becasue of last year, he was forced to become a better pitcher, instead of just a thrower. Now he's getting velocity back slowly, but surely, and he has some better skills to work with. I love it! Keep it up Koch!

Well, compared to last year, I do think so far this season the gun at The Cell has been significantly more accurate. The TV one on Sox broadcasts is usually pretty close too, but it's more interesting to see the readings on the gun in comparison to the starters. Based on the starters' readings, you can usually guage the accuracy of the gun. Not to mention the difference in how quick the ball get's to the plate that is often visually noticeable between 92 mph and 98 mph.