PDA

View Full Version : Team Meeting

elrod
05-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Apparently Ozzie called a team meeting after the game in order stress that the team hasn't won anything yet and they shouldn't get complacent. If so, that's great. Any more details on the team meeting?

doublem23
05-28-2004, 03:09 AM
Kenny just wanted to flip over a buffet table for the hell of it.

Unregistered
05-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Kenny just wanted to flip over a buffet table for the hell of it. :KW
"You're all STILL bitches and mother****ers."

jkrohn
05-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Hopefully Ozzie can keep the fire in these guys. The sox seem unstopable when they have the fire, the problem is that is has always seemed to fizzle out in the past.

Here's to keeping a good thing going all year long. :gulp:

Jkrohn

jabrch
05-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by jkrohn
Hopefully Ozzie can keep the fire in these guys. The sox seem unstopable when they have the fire, the problem is that is has always seemed to fizzle out in the past.

Here's to keeping a good thing going all year long. :gulp:

Jkrohn

The Fire? I don't think that is really it. I mean - I don't recall seeing them come out lazy ever. I don't recall, even in the losses, a lack of hustle or effort. I don't think it is the fire?

jkrohn
05-28-2004, 08:21 AM
I would have to disagree. Take last year for example. In the set of series where we played the Cubs - Twins - Cubs - Twins, and beat them handily. In each of those games, the team was exciting to watch. It looked like a team that truly thought it could win each game, and they won a few comeback games in those series as well. They also came out as a team fired up and ready to play, yt was the team we expected.

Now compare that to the rest of last year, where it seemed the Sox almost were sleep walking at times. Compiling a record 11-8 against Detroit and 11-8 against Cleveland, both bad teams last year. They often came out flat and didn't look ready. I don't know about others, but to me last year it seemed that if we fell behind, we lost, even if we only fell behind early. The team seemed to lack the passion and a belief in themselves.

That is the exact opposite of what I see in this years team as far as still feeling they are in games and coming out ready to play. My point was that I saw this in stints from our team in the past few years (like the Twins Cubs series), just not on a consistent enough basis.

That is the "fire" I speak of.

Jkrohn

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 09:53 AM
I read somewhere Ozzie had everyone there from players to trainers to the groundscrew, important for "all" parts of the team to be in such mtgs .... can't remember where I saw it as I haven't had that coffee yet this morning

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I read somewhere Ozzie had everyone there from players to trainers to the groundscrew, important for "all" parts of the team to be in such mtgs .... can't remember where I saw it as I haven't had that coffee yet this morning He did say that, and I believe he included that they all sang Happy Birthday to Frank. :smile:

LauraJ14
05-28-2004, 12:51 PM
There was an article in the Daily Herald today about the meeting.

LASOXFAN
05-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Please, whatever you do, don't start hugging each other like the red sox. God that makes me hurl every time.

RKMeibalane
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Good call by Ozzie. It seems as though most teams have meetings only when things aren't going well. I like the fact that Guillen decided to have a meeting now, when the team is playing well.

Ozzie has made a few mistakes in his first season, but he has already accomplished more with this team than Jerry Manuel did in six seasons as manager. The players respect Ozzie, and they respond to him. I think back to last season, and I can remember countless games where it seemed as though the players just didn't care. The worst part was that Manuel never said or did anything to motivate the team. It's been the exact opposite in 2004.

daveeym
05-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

The Fire? I don't think that is really it. I mean - I don't recall seeing them come out lazy ever. I don't recall, even in the losses, a lack of hustle or effort. I don't think it is the fire?

Originally posted by jkrohn
I would have to disagree. Take last year for example. In the set of series where we played the Cubs - Twins - Cubs - Twins, and beat them handily. In each of those games, the team was exciting to watch. It looked like a team that truly thought it could win each game, and they won a few comeback games in those series as well. They also came out as a team fired up and ready to play, yt was the team we expected.

Now compare that to the rest of last year, where it seemed the Sox almost were sleep walking at times. Compiling a record 11-8 against Detroit and 11-8 against Cleveland, both bad teams last year. They often came out flat and didn't look ready. I don't know about others, but to me last year it seemed that if we fell behind, we lost, even if we only fell behind early. The team seemed to lack the passion and a belief in themselves.

That is the exact opposite of what I see in this years team as far as still feeling they are in games and coming out ready to play. My point was that I saw this in stints from our team in the past few years (like the Twins Cubs series), just not on a consistent enough basis.

That is the "fire" I speak of.

Jkrohn

There's definitely a fire that needs to stay lit. 2000 they had it all season, they had a swagger and even if they lost you had the feeling of no big deal, the last couple years they look inconsistent and haven't had the swagger or confidence in themselves and it results in lazy/poor plays and judgment. However, we're starting to see that fire come back and it looks like it's close to staying. You see it when they're throwing guys out at the plate and Miggy gets steamrolled and pops up cheering and everyone congratulates him. You see it on the way these guys are attacking the bases and going in hard on slides and making nice hook slides. you see it in the pitchers knowing they got some pretty consistent leather being thrown behind them. Carlos slapping a tough pitch to right for two runs instead of taking a huge hack, uribe and willy just looking for the extra base everytime possible. These guys are starting to look scary good like the 2000 squad. If they string another 1-2 weeks together like this look out for them to run away with this division like in 2000.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
There's definitely a fire that needs to stay lit. 2000 they had it all season, they had a swagger and even if they lost you had the feeling of no big deal, the last couple years they look inconsistent and haven't had the swagger or confidence in themselves and it results in lazy/poor plays and judgment. However, we're starting to see that fire come back and it looks like it's close to staying. You see it when they're throwing guys out at the plate and Miggy gets steamrolled and pops up cheering and everyone congratulates him. You see it on the way these guys are attacking the bases and going in hard on slides and making nice hook slides. you see it in the pitchers knowing they got some pretty consistent leather being thrown behind them. Carlos slapping a tough pitch to right for two runs instead of taking a huge hack, uribe and willy just looking for the extra base everytime possible. These guys are starting to look scary good like the 2000 squad. If they string another 1-2 weeks together like this look out for them to run away with this division like in 2000.

daveeym...YES!!!

:)

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 07:45 PM
This was a good time for a pep talk. Kudos to Ozzie for recognizing these situations where one is needed.

Manuel team meeting in the same situation...

:jerry
"We got this thing pretty much wrapped up guys, give yourselves a pat on the back. What time we start tomorrow? Seven? Y'all get here bout a quarter 'til."