PDA

View Full Version : Draft

RichH55
05-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Looks like we are stocked for picks

Anyone thinking Grant Johnson with one of those supplementals?

Randar68
05-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Anyone thinking Grant Johnson with one of those supplementals?

no. :D:

pearso66
05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I was reading something on the draft the other day, and it mentioned how JD Drew's brother might fall during the draft. Who would be up for taking him with 18 if he's still there? I don't really know much about him, but everything I've heard, he sounsd pretty good. There was talk of him being taken anywhere from #1 or falling to the Yankees at 23

Randar68
05-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I was reading something on the draft the other day, and it mentioned how JD Drew's brother might fall during the draft. Who would be up for taking him with 18 if he's still there? I don't really know much about him, but everything I've heard, he sounsd pretty good. There was talk of him being taken anywhere from #1 or falling to the Yankees at 23

He won't last past the top 5, IMO, and top 10 at the VERY least...

pearso66
05-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I tend to agree with you Randar, but if he does, hypothetically, do you think the Sox will grab him, or do you think they'll look at the best available pitcher or something? I knwo nobody knows, but, do you think tehy could pass that up?

Randar68
05-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I tend to agree with you Randar, but if he does, hypothetically, do you think the Sox will grab him, or do you think they'll look at the best available pitcher or something? I knwo nobody knows, but, do you think tehy could pass that up?

YouKnowWho is his agent. If he falls out of the top ten, he'll drop to a big-payroll team like Bos/NYY/Cubs etc who'll draft him and pay him big money.

Blueprint1
05-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeah right, you know who his Agent is becasue I do believe its Scott Boris and that means there is no chance that the sox would draft him even if they had the chance.

Procol Harum
05-28-2004, 01:19 PM
The baseball draft is the biggest crap-shoot in all of organized sports. The number of "can't miss" and top picks who end up never so much as coming to the Bigs for even the proverbial cup of coffee is legion. Compared to baseball, the NFL draft is likened unto choosing teams in your gym class.

While I hope our Sox scouts have done their homework, I'm probably more hopeful that we get lucky. Perhaps you might call me "Hawk"-like on this question, but given the complexities and vagaries of the baseball draft I can't see why you would choose to put much time or worth on seriously discussing it....just my 'pinion, no hatin' involved.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
The baseball draft is the biggest crap-shoot in all of organized sports. The number of "can't miss" and top picks who end up never so much as coming to the Bigs for even the proverbial cup of coffee is legion. Compared to baseball, the NFL draft is likened unto choosing teams in your gym class.

While I hope our Sox scouts have done their homework, I'm probably more hopeful that we get lucky. Perhaps you might call me "Hawk"-like on this question, but given the complexities and vagaries of the baseball draft I can't see why you would choose to put much time or worth on seriously discussing it....just my 'pinion, no hatin' involved.

Ryan Sweeney, Brian anderson, Jeremy Reed, etc etc etc.

If you don't like it, fine. Don't rain on the parade, though.

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

If you don't like it, fine. Don't rain on the parade, though. Those three among others, even Nanita has been a nice surprise (even though it was said that he could be a good pick from where we got him.) The fact is that we have drafted well, in particular the last few years IMO. With all the picks we have, I can't help but be a little excited.

compy75
05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Those three among others, even Nanita has been a nice surprise (even though it was said that he could be a good pick from where we got him.) The fact is that we have drafted well, in particular the last few years IMO. With all the picks we have, I can't help but be a little excited.

That's not even getting into Michael Morse who is destroying AA pitching and playing a good ss. As a poster vaguely mentioned yesterday he's an Arod size SS so if Crede doesn't pan out he could be a viable 3B option.

What I find amazing is that most of our Knights team is 30 with the exception of Borchard and Reed. Not good.

Procol Harum
05-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

If you don't like it, fine. Don't rain on the parade, though.

Ain't rainin, my bruthah. Like I said--here's hopin' they--and many more--pan out. I just think that it seems to be much more of an art--or maybe even sorcery--than a science.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Ain't rainin, my bruthah. Like I said--here's hopin' they--and many more--pan out. I just think that it seems to be much more of an art--or maybe even sorcery--than a science.

The NBA draft is half HS/Euro, how is that different? Those guys are paying millions of bucks to guys based on how they play in AAU tournaments against other 16, 17 and 18 year-olds.

Shaun Livingston from Peoria is going to be a top 5-7 pick in the draft and he's a PG at about 6'5" or so and 170 pounds soaking wet...

NHL is similar to baseball in that there is a structured "minor Leagues" to develop talent into league-ready experience and preparedness.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by compy75
That's not even getting into Michael Morse who is destroying AA pitching and playing a good ss. As a poster vaguely mentioned yesterday he's an Arod size SS so if Crede doesn't pan out he could be a viable 3B option.

What I find amazing is that most of our Knights team is 30 with the exception of Borchard and Reed. Not good.

Morse has never hit until this year, so let's not go all crazy. IN addition, he'll never be a SS in the Majors. Kent-type 2B? MAYBE. Probably won't hit enough to be a 1B/3B and his arm isn't that strong, either.

maurice
05-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by compy75

Well, it IS a AAA team. It's not unusual for top prospects to skip AAA entirely and go straight to the bigs.