PDA

View Full Version : Rauch's start is going to be huge

lowesox
05-28-2004, 02:02 AM
While I think it's clear that Kenny and Co. plan on acquiring a veteran starter by the deadline, Rauch's start is going to be very, very important. I was reading in the Cubune about how Kenny is working on getting a fifth starter and how he's having a hard time.

The long and short of it is, the better Rauch pitches the easier it will will be for Kenny to bring that starter in. If Rauch is good, Kenny won't have to be desperate, and therefore can be more patient. Plus, the longer we can wait to make the move, the better our chances are of getting a top guy for two reasons: 1) most of his salary for this season will already have been paid and 2) it will give our recent winning a chance to improve attendance making JR more willing to make a move.

It's going to be a big game, I suggest you all watch closely.

elrod
05-28-2004, 02:05 AM
I worry less about Rauch than I do about Sele. Once again our fifth starter is going against a hot pitcher on the other side. Whether it's Radke, Lee or some no-name Devil Ray pitcher our fifth starters get little support. I suppose I'll be happy if Rauch gives the Sox a chance to win. But that might mean keeping the Angels to 1 run.

inta
05-28-2004, 06:08 AM
man.

remember when rauch won the olympics or something 4 years ago?
i miss the days of hearing about Scheulers farm system...

hopefully this guy finally lives up to the hype....

idseer
05-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
While I think it's clear that Kenny and Co. plan on acquiring a veteran starter by the deadline, Rauch's start is going to be very, very important. I was reading in the Cubune about how Kenny is working on getting a fifth starter and how he's having a hard time.

The long and short of it is, the better Rauch pitches the easier it will will be for Kenny to bring that starter in. If Rauch is good, Kenny won't have to be desperate, and therefore can be more patient. Plus, the longer we can wait to make the move, the better our chances are of getting a top guy for two reasons: 1) most of his salary for this season will already have been paid and 2) it will give our recent winning a chance to improve attendance making JR more willing to make a move.

It's going to be a big game, I suggest you all watch closely.

if rauch is good we won't NEED another starter.

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by idseer
if rauch is good we won't NEED another starter. Depends how good, and also if he is as good as we'll need during the playoffs. I look at him as a serviceable guy until a guy like Garcia could be obtained. However, if he pitches well, it should eliminate the possible acquisition of just a mediocre guy IMO.

OEO Magglio
05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Depends how good, and also if he is as good as we'll need during the playoffs. I look at him as a serviceable guy until a guy like Garcia could be obtained. However, if he pitches well, it should eliminate the possible acquisition of just a mediocre guy IMO.
Exactly, if Rauch pitches descent kenny has no reason to go out and acquire a mediocre guy and he could wait for a Freddy Garcia type to become available. I think Rauch could do a solid job but I also thought Cotts could also.

duke of dorwood
05-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Ozzie was ranting after the game that he needs a 5th starter that isnt a potential loss every time that turn comes up. No names were mentioned-but the Cotts/Danny Wrong thing is stuck in his craw-says he will be talking to KW about this

Randar68
05-28-2004, 10:00 AM

I would state it as "if rauch is good we won't NEED a another 5th starter."

If this team intends on winning a playoff series, I still think they need another top of the rotation starter.

idseer
05-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
Exactly, if Rauch pitches descent kenny has no reason to go out and acquire a mediocre guy and he could wait for a Freddy Garcia type to become available. I think Rauch could do a solid job but I also thought Cotts could also.

cotts has never done it (as a starter) on a major league level ... rauch has. plus he's had a couple dominant games iirc.

if rauch is really healthy again i believe he will surprise most everyone here. and if he's solid, i see no reason to throw money at a garcia at the expense of shoring up other needs or resigning magglio.
pitching is NOT a weakness on this team. 3rd base and center field are.

idseer
05-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I would state it as "if rauch is good we won't NEED a another 5th starter."

If this team intends on winning a playoff series, I still think they need another top of the rotation starter.

it would be nice to have 5 top of the rotation type pitchers. i'll grant you that. but it seems to me that mark and elo are as good a top 2 as any other in the majors right now. garland/shoe are as good a 3 & 4 as any other team has also. if indeed rauch pitches like we hope he can i'd rather direct those $'s somewhere more critical.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 10:14 AM
it would be nice to have 5 top of the rotation type pitchers. i'll grant you that. but it seems to me that mark and elo are as good a top 2 as any other in the majors right now. garland/shoe are as good a 3 & 4 as any other team has also. if indeed rauch pitches like we hope he can i'd rather direct those $'s somewhere more critical.

Oakland: Mulder, Zito, Hudson, Harden, Redman
NYY: Mussina, Vasquez, Brown, Lieber
BOS: Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wakefield

Those are the three primary competitors outside of the division, not including Anaheim, who's had some significant under-performance thus far from their starters.

If the money should be directed elsewhere, then assuming we won't be able to deal Carlos/Konerko/Koch/Jose, what positions would you target first?

Bullpen? Closer? Koch is TOTALLY worthless unless he's the closer, IMO, so unless you can unload him, how can you gop out and get another closer? (not to mention KW standing firmly behind him)

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio

That's what he should do NO MATTER WHAT. Don't waste your time with an Odalis Perez or someone like that. The only reason we should get that "mediocre guy" in question, is if we absolutely can't pull of a deal for an ace. We will then need a competent fifth starter. I highly doubt Rauch will be the answer this year.

idseer
05-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Oakland: Mulder, Zito, Hudson, Harden, Redman
NYY: Mussina, Vasquez, Brown, Lieber
BOS: Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wakefield

Those are the three primary competitors outside of the division, not including Anaheim, who's had some significant under-performance thus far from their starters.

If the money should be directed elsewhere, then assuming we won't be able to deal Carlos/Konerko/Koch/Jose, what positions would you target first?

Bullpen? Closer? Koch is TOTALLY worthless unless he's the closer, IMO, so unless you can unload him, how can you gop out and get another closer? (not to mention KW standing firmly behind him)

i'd say we're very close in starting pitching matchups with all those teams 'right now'.

as i mentioned in an earlier post, i'd look at 3rd base and centerfield. (or use the extra savings from NOT signing garcia to sign magglio)

i don't think we need another closer at this point. koch is going to prove he's back or he won't. until then you can't do anything with him. i think the bullpen has been very good and see no need for drastic measures.

if rauch sputters yet again, then i would certainly agree we need another good starting arm. so i am in the "wait till we see how effective rauch is" camp.

lowesox
05-28-2004, 10:31 AM
cotts has never done it (as a starter) on a major league level ... rauch has. plus he's had a couple dominant games iirc.

if rauch is really healthy again i believe he will surprise most everyone here. and if he's solid, i see no reason to throw money at a garcia at the expense of shoring up other needs or resigning magglio.
pitching is NOT a weakness on this team. 3rd base and center field are.

I can't believe I've been reading Randar's posts shaking my head "yes". We never agree.

But I think he's right here. This could be 2000 all over again. Where we have a lot of guys who are number 2's - but no guy who just goes out there and demands the other team's respect. In one way, thinking about this actually makes me wonder if the sox should go after the big unit.

I don't care if Aaron Sele shuts us out on Saturday. A good start from Rauch would make me much happier than a win. (Although, I'll gladly take both). And if Rauch pitches well, then it lets us know what we have for next year.

But even if his ERAs are in the 3's, I'd still pull a deal for a top guy.

TaylorStSox
05-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
That's what he should do NO MATTER WHAT. Don't waste your time with an Odalis Perez or someone like that. The only reason we should get that "mediocre guy" in question, is if we absolutely can't pull of a deal for an ace. We will then need a competent fifth starter. I highly doubt Rauch will be the answer this year.

What aces are available. Freddy Garcia has ace stuff with a HS pitching mind. Every contender is looking at trading for him.

Benson? I'll pass.

Johnson? A perfect game and his numbers still aren't very good.

Right now, Sheets is probably the best pitcher out there who will be available. I still wouldn't unload alot for him.

We need a guy that can eat up innings in the 5th spot. The top of the rotation guys that we have are the guys we will live and die with.

idseer
05-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I can't believe I've been reading Randar's posts shaking my head "yes". We never agree.

But I think he's right here. This could be 2000 all over again. Where we have a lot of guys who are number 2's - but no guy who just goes out there and demands the other team's respect. In one way, thinking about this actually makes me wonder if the sox should go after the big unit.

I don't care if Aaron Sele shuts us out on Saturday. A good start from Rauch would make me much happier than a win. (Although, I'll gladly take both). And if Rauch pitches well, then it lets us know what we have for next year.

But even if his ERAs are in the 3's, I'd still pull a deal for a top guy.

i remind you that the 2000 debacle had little to do with the pitching. kinda shoots the whole theory, doesn't it?

Randar68
05-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Right now, Sheets is probably the best pitcher out there who will be available. I still wouldn't unload alot for him.

Sheets, I'd take in a heartbeat. Why are the Brewers making him available?

He was often considered to be the best of Oswalt, Rauch and himself, and was put on the same level as Beckett, IIRC.

Pitching in/for Milwaukee ain't real easy to do, but what's the deal on him?

A. Cavatica
05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
"Afterward, Guillen said he would wait another day to decide who will start Saturday against the Angels." - Sun-Times

Really, is there any mystery? Rauch missed his scheduled start and pitched an inning of relief instead, presumably to get him on track for Saturday (because he's not injured). Monday, Josh Stewart started for Charlotte and Jim Bullard for Birmingham -- and both pitched well, but haven't made a case to be called up. Nobody in the bullpen is stretched out.

Is this a tactic to keep the Angels guessing, or is KW close to a deal?

pearso66
05-28-2004, 12:23 PM
I have to say that I don't think Sheets is available. Why would Milwaukee give up their best player, he is young, and I don't think he is making much. If he is available, give them Rauch, Borchard and even 1 more prospect. I think this guy is the real deal

Iguana775
05-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I have to say that I don't think Sheets is available. Why would Milwaukee give up their best player, he is young, and I don't think he is making much. If he is available, give them Rauch, Borchard and even 1 more prospect. I think this guy is the real deal

how do we know Rauch won't be like him? Sheets had high hype also but never really lived up to it till this year. Also, he was never a big K guy and now he is. I dont think I'd give up Rauch and JB for him cause Rauch may very well be just as good.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
how do we know Rauch won't be like him? Sheets had high hype also but never really lived up to it till this year. Also, he was never a big K guy and now he is. I dont think I'd give up Rauch and JB for him cause Rauch may very well be just as good.

Well, outside of the 18-K game, he's not really on pace for a significant jump in K/IP.

iwannago
05-28-2004, 02:40 PM

I absolutely agree!!!!

:)

bennyw41
05-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Is this a done deal for saturday? Has a roster move been made?

SEALgep
05-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Is this a done deal for saturday? Has a roster move been made? Ozzie said that they'll announce plans after the game.

SoxxoS
05-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Ozzie said that they'll announce plans after the game.

:ozzie

Tell you one ting, do be honess, we go no plan."

steff
05-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
:ozzie

Tell you one ting, do be honess, we go no plan."

ROTFLMAO!!!

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 04:28 PM
This just in: Tomorrow's starter is Billy Koch!

(kidding...but how many stress balls would you buy tonight if you knew that??)

:o:

Can dark blue be the nightmare color?

steff
05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MeanFish
This just in: Tomorrow's starter is Billy Koch!

(kidding...but how many stress balls would you buy tonight if you knew that??)

:o:

Can dark blue be the nightmare color?

Actually... I'm OK with that. We're taking the dog and she's been taught to "kill bill" :D:

Ruth Uribe
05-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Who should be sent down for Rauch?

jeremyb1
05-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Ruth Uribe
Who should be sent down for Rauch?

I'd send down Adkins.

Ruth Uribe
05-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I'd send down Adkins.

I would send down either Rowand or Perez.

Randar68
05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruth Uribe
I would send down either Rowand or Perez.

Or Kelly. Who knows, but they won't send an OF'er down with Maggs day-to-day.

TheBull19
05-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox

Johnson? A perfect game and his numbers still aren't very good.

10 GS 70.0 IP 38 H, that's right 38, 17 BB, 86 K's, 2.44 ERA. I'm not saying it might happen, but if it did, I think you'd have to consider the Sox as near or at the top of the AL.

Rex Hudler
05-28-2004, 11:00 PM
I say Wunsch goes down..........

Rauch is being set up to fail....... I hope he can overcome.

MRKARNO
05-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

So does ESPN 1000

Bucktown
05-29-2004, 12:45 AM
I am already on record that Rauch will e the break-through player of this season. I just wanted to re-state my bold prediction. I am driving down tomorrow to see for myself.

I may already concede that I was wrong in that Uribe has been incredible.

StillMissOzzie
05-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

...and so does ESPN.com

SMO

Lip Man 1
05-29-2004, 11:54 AM
When discussing Rauch and 'why' he hasn't been given in the words of some of his supporters, a better chance to make this club, this comment in the Daily Southtown may shed some light on things. Personally I had forgotten all about this.

"The 6-foot-11 prospect has yet to endear himself to a White Sox clubhouse in which several players labeled him as "soft" last spring."

Since Williams remember, when asked back in the spring didn't even mention his name regarding potential 5th starter candidates it's obvious that he has some feelings on this point as well. Maybe Rauch is in his doghouse or maybe Rauch isn't a 'grinder.'

Either way I hope the latest 'can't miss kid,' can do a decent job and buy the team a month until Williams can go out and get someone from outside the organization.

Lip

Mickster
05-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I agree w/ Lip. We just need 1 or maybe 2 starts from Rauch. Then, from my understanding, the Sox will go to a 4 man rotation until the middle of June when we hit a stretch of 13 consecutive games w/o a day off terminating with the scrubs. Need Kenny to make a move on a "5th starter" (I hate using the term "5th starter" because we actually don't need one, we need a bona fide ace...) sometime before June 15.

Will June 15 be enough time for some teams to concede?

LittleBears Suck
05-29-2004, 12:07 PM
I wonder if anyone ever thougt Rauch might be a better asset as a reliever?

johnny_mostil
05-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by LittleBears Suck
I wonder if anyone ever thougt Rauch might be a better asset as a reliever?

I think he might be better as a center. You know he's got to have a wicked post move, and centers don't even have to shoot free throws.

johnny_mostil
05-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
I agree w/ Lip. We just need 1 or maybe 2 starts from Rauch. Then, from my understanding, the Sox will go to a 4 man rotation until the middle of June when we hit a stretch of 13 consecutive games w/o a day off terminating with the scrubs. Need Kenny to make a move on a "5th starter" (I hate using the term "5th starter" because we actually don't need one, we need a bona fide ace...) sometime before June 15.

Will June 15 be enough time for some teams to concede?

Concede, no, but panic, yes. That's when player movement usually starts in the bigs.

This is probably Rauch's last chance with the Sox. He's had two, both in 2002, the first ending with the infamous 4-homer game by Mike Cameron (8 runs in 1/3 of an inning for Big Jon). The second was two September starts against the Twins. He's had one "quality start" in five tries.

Bucktown
05-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I am already on record that Rauch will e the break-through player of this season. I just wanted to re-state my bold prediction. I am driving down tomorrow to see for myself.
That is my last prediction for a while.