PDA

View Full Version : Incredible stat

chisox06
05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
As of right now the sox have scored the most runs in the league (258) and have given up the least amount of runs (201). Now leading anyone of those stats would be great but to lead them both is unbelievable! Now if we can only save some of those runs and use em for a 2-1 game were golden.

I hate to be optimistic (because it's not the sox fans way) but DAMN thats awesome.

GO SOX! :gulp:

Foulke You
05-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Wow. That is an amazing stat! If that stays true to the end of the year, I don't see how we don't make the playoffs. Like you said though, too bad some of those runs weren't scattered out a little more. It seems like we've scored 100 runs just in the last week. :D:

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Wow. That is an amazing stat! If that stays true to the end of the year, I don't see how we don't make the playoffs. Like you said though, too bad some of those runs weren't scattered out a little more. It seems like we've scored 100 runs just in the last week. :D:

If that holds true throught the end of the year I dont see how we wont win 100 games. I dont see it happening though. I think we could outperform my official estimate, but I'm not sure this is a 93+ win team yet. Now if we got another starting pitcher, then I might be inclined to say that we could win 93+ games, but until then I will have to say we'll win 90-92 games.

WSox8404
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I am willing to believe that if we get Garcia we will easily win 100 games. If we do not get that calliber of a 5th starter than I stick with my prediction of 94 wins. Either way I think we will make the postseason.

Irishsox1
05-27-2004, 11:19 PM
The Sox have thrown 6 shutouts this year, they threw 5 all of last year.

WSox8404
05-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
The Sox have thrown 6 shutouts this year, they threw 5 all of last year.

Wow. Now that is an amazing stat. That is really cool. Look at our staff ERA. Its like 4.05 now. Unreal. This is great. Just imaging what it would be with a decent 5th starter.

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
I am willing to believe that if we get Garcia we will easily win 100 games. If we do not get that calliber of a 5th starter than I stick with my prediction of 94 wins. Either way I think we will make the postseason.

It's difficult for me to imagine a situation in which the Sox lose this division. The Twins offense is mediocre and their pitching is pretty bad and will not hold up over the long haul. No other team in this division is even close except maybe the Tigers. Barring a total collapse from the Sox we should be back into the postseason, as I predicted, for the first time since 2000. With Freddy Garcia, we'd practically be a lock and we'd be in much better shape for the postseason.

Nails
05-27-2004, 11:23 PM
oops scratch that post:P

pjthesox13
05-27-2004, 11:24 PM
This is a great stat! The predictions for this team are about right at 91-94 wins are about right on for now. I don't really feel that is being overly optimistic either. Now if we did get another solid starter that number would definitely be solidify or bumped for sure but until that happens the above is where we are at. Just got to say on a side note a d in relation to the stat, SO GOOD to see the Sox playing well. Way to go guys!

Navaro's Talent
05-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Wow, that's impressive. I would love to see this continue, especially with the pitching. For a staff that everyone in the media said was questionable, I think they have done an amazing jog so far. I expect Beurhle and Loaiza to do good, but I wasn't sure about Garland or Schoenweis. Those two have made me very confident when they take the mound. Now, Kenny just has to get one more reliant starter and things should be fine.

Foulke You
05-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's difficult for me to imagine a situation in which the Sox lose this division.

Hey, I'm excited too but keep in mind this IS the Sox we're talking about. I've had my heart broken too many times to say we've got this thing all sewn up. However, things are looking up and this is the most excited I've been about a Sox team since 2000.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 11:51 PM
I wasn't this excited in 2000. I haven't been this excited since...

Damn you Jerry. Damn you.

Blueprint1
05-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Just remember that we only have a one game lead right now. I remember last year after we swept the twins with that Frank Thomas home run getting all excited about how we were going to win the division.

MeanFish
05-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I think what excites me though isn't necessarily what we're doing, but rather who we're doing it against and how we're doing it.

Taking 3 of 4 in the Metrodome? Would have seemed nearly impossible last year.

Holding Texas scoreless for 18 innings? That's outstanding from any vantage point.

But the most impressive statistic of all: We're doing this in May.

Kadafi311
05-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's difficult for me to imagine a situation in which the Sox lose this division.

Yes, yes it is.

We have one of the top offenses in baseball, if not the top offense. My only concern is... will the pitching hold up? Time will tell.

Jeckle2000
05-28-2004, 12:49 AM
We will be fine...
Sox are for sure the favorites and with Ozzie leading the charge we might

elrod
05-28-2004, 12:51 AM
But the most impressive statistic of all: We're doing this in May.

That's it. As usual the Sox went into a slump in May. But it didn't last long. The Sox look as impressive as they did in 2000. I don't think any pitcher wants to face our lineup right now. Ryan Drese had an excellent 2.92 ERA before tonight and he got shelled. We turned Carlos Silva's season around for the worse. Of course we didn't hit Kenny Rogers. Oh well.

My biggest concern in the Angels series is Sele. He's pitching well and we have Rauch against him. The Angels just dropped three straight one-run games in Toronto (sound familiar) so they're hurting.

jeremyb1
05-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
Yes, yes it is.

We have one of the top offenses in baseball, if not the top offense. My only concern is... will the pitching hold up? Time will tell.

I don't know. Buehrle's going to top his '01 season at this rate. Garland looks improved and Loaiza has yielded pretty good results without being on top of his game a lot of the time. Schoenweis is the best candidate to fall on his face in the rotation with Adkins, Takatsu, and Jackson most likely to struggle more in the pen. No, the pitching probably won't be quite this good but it's shaping up very nicely.

doublem23
05-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Agreed, but if you're going to have to resort to slugfests, you may as well have the best offense in the league in your corner.

lowesox
05-28-2004, 01:55 AM
You know, judging by that 'most runs scored, least runs allowed' statistic, the Sox really deserve to be number one on every major website's power poll. But, I'm glad their not.

Isn't it kind of nice how the sox are such a tightly kept secret? Cubune: you keep talking about chicago's 'best' team. I don't mind at all.

mmmmmbeeer
05-28-2004, 03:50 AM
We've got a mini west coast swing at OAK and SEA starting 1st of June. Over the last couple seasons it has always been the west coast trips and the Metrodome trips that hurt this team...well, that and the tigers last year, but let's not include them in the equation...anyway, we've passed the metrodome test so far, showing a dramatic difference in this team vs. yesteryear's team, I think after watching them out west we'll get a much better feel for how real this team is. Have they exorcised the ghosts???

SSN721
05-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by mmmmmbeeer
We've got a mini west coast swing at OAK and SEA starting 1st of June. Over the last couple seasons it has always been the west coast trips and the Metrodome trips that hurt this team...well, that and the tigers last year, but let's not include them in the equation...anyway, we've passed the metrodome test so far, showing a dramatic difference in this team vs. yesteryear's team, I think after watching them out west we'll get a much better feel for how real this team is. Have they exorcised the ghosts???

I hope so, after breaking the Metrodome curse and the May slump, if they can win on the west coast trips I will feel very, very confident of this team taking the division for sure. ALthoguht I still think and had thought at the beginning of the year they were good enough. To have the most runs and least allowed is very impressive, I had no idea that we help both of those records at the moment. Way to go boys. :D:

maurice
05-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I remember last year after we swept the twins with that Frank Thomas home run getting all excited about how we were going to win the division.

We can avoid that type of letdown by keeping Jose Paniagua off the active roster.

WSox8404
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mmmmmbeeer

You are right. We had three ghosts. The Metrodome, May, and the West Coast. Two of three seem to have been taken care of. If we get the third done, look out.

chisoxfan4life
05-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Hopefully these stats can stay there until October. It should be a season to remember on the southside. :smile:

SOXintheBURGH
05-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
You know, judging by that 'most runs scored, least runs allowed' statistic, the Sox really deserve to be number one on every major website's power poll. But, I'm glad their not.

Isn't it kind of nice how the sox are such a tightly kept secret? Cubune: you keep talking about chicago's 'best' team. I don't mind at all.

Exactly lowesox... we'll just float under the radar all season then explode in the playoffs without anyone expecting it. Unlike the Fish who snuck in with a wildcard, we'll be able to announce our presence with authority fall.

Gammons Peter
05-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Can one of you people with way to much time on their hands look up how many teams have finished the season number 1 in both of these categories and see how this correlates into championships won