PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to tomorrow's Tribune

illiniwhitesox
05-27-2004, 11:49 PM
I can't fathom the Cubune not giving top billing to the Sox tomorrow. After beating up on the Twinkies, they have blanked the top offense (Rangers) the past two games. They have the best record in Chicago and have extended their lead in their division.

If the Cubs get the big spread and the Sox are limited to the top 1/5 of the Sports section, I am cancelling my subscription. It will be the final straw!

mike squires
05-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Great, Hangar is using three names. :)

hose
05-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
I can't fathom the Cubune not giving top billing to the Sox tomorrow. After beating up on the Twinkies, they have blanked the top offense (Rangers) the past two games. They have the best record in Chicago and have extended their lead in their division.

If the Cubs get the big spread and the Sox are limited to the top 1/5 of the Sports section, I am cancelling my subscription. It will be the final straw!

Breaking news Prior stubs toe!!!!!!!

Tribune sports section will have 10 articles and Murph will have be calling Dr. Schoals for any technology break throughs.

rcescato
05-28-2004, 12:01 AM

The flubs didn't even play today. So the Flubs should get top billing. They got a 1/2 game closer to 1st place. Thats what the headline will say. Nobody except the southtown even mentioned the phase v renovations, what a joke that is. I guess nobody showed up at the press conference.
Rich

Blueprint1
05-28-2004, 12:52 AM
I bet there is front page news about Hawk and his battle with the press.

Vernam
05-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I bet there is front page news about Hawk and his battle with the press.

Bingo. Won't know if it's front page 'til the paperboy comes, but here's the URL:

http://tinyurl.com/2vqyn

"Passion of the Hawk"?

He says, "Fox wants the 16-to-24-year-old [demographic], but what about the rest of them? What about the fans [of] 20, 30, 40 years? You going to kick them in the [butt] because you want bells and whistles and swooshes? There's not a minute of dead air on those telecasts. Baseball demands dead air."

Good point. While we're at it, can they turn down the music in the park just a tad? :smile: I'd like to be able to talk with my kids in between pitches.

Some of the article doesn't make a lot of sense. I was living out of state when Paciorek left, so it's news to me that people blamed Harrelson. But the bit about DJ contradicting him on air just isn't clear -- are they saying Hawk and DJ dislike each other? Sorry if this is common knowledge. I wouldn't say there's much chemistry, but I also wouldn't have guessed they hate each other.

VC

wilburwood
05-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Why in the world would any Sox fan even consider buying a Trib? It may mention the game, but my bet is it will dwell on either attendance, a fight, or some unseen negative. IMO the print media in this town bears at least some responsibility for lean attendance in the Cell. Personally I think management gets a huge chunk of that also. But looking through the papers for something positive?? Southtown is your best bet it is the most un-biased it this town. Now lets celebrate FIRST PLACE :D:

StockdaleForVeep
05-28-2004, 02:07 AM

Not to mention they are 1 game out for the best record in the majors right now.

"BREAKING NEWS: SOSA SNEEZES PAIN FREE!"

doublem23
05-28-2004, 02:52 AM
They've just saved a day like tomorrow to hurl insults at the upper deck, rowdy fans, and the proposed FUNdamentals addition.

MarqSox
05-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by wilburwood
Why in the world would any Sox fan even consider buying a Trib?
Because aside from the sports section, it's the best paper in the Midwest.

BigEdWalsh
05-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by wilburwood
Why in the world would any Sox fan even consider buying a Trib?

When I got home from work this morning I found a free Trib in my driveway. Inside, there's a flyer that reads (in part): Whether you're a Cubs fan or a Sox fan, let the Chicago Tribune be your #1 source for scores and highlights this season.

Then below that is pictured 5 Tribune front pages with Cub headlines from last years payoff run.

No thank you, Tribune!

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh
When I got home from work this morning I found a free Trib in my driveway. Inside, there's a flyer that reads (in part): Whether you're a Cubs fan or a Sox fan, let the Chicago Tribune be your #1 source for scores and highlights this season.

Then below that is pictured 5 Tribune front pages with Cub headlines from last years payoff run.

No thank you, Tribune!

heh heheh heh.

jackbrohamer
05-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I hope the Trib reports more Ligue coverage today, the entire baseball world awaits the latest development....

Hangar18
05-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Great, Hangar is using three names. :)

????

Iwritecode
05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BigEdWalsh

No thank you, Tribune!

I always thought it was funny that they have a booth at Soxfest every year.

I believe it was this past year that my wife and I walked past and made the mistake of glancing over at the booth. The people asked us if we would like a subscription and we just looked at them and said, "Hell no, we're Sox fans..."