PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Post Game Thread 05-27-04

Saracen
05-27-2004, 09:20 PM
The Rangers broadcast had Billy consistently clocked between 96-98, and one pitch in the final at bat as 101. Is this accurate? How did it look on the Chicago broadcast?

TaylorStSox
05-27-2004, 09:20 PM
They had him at 99 here.

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I would guess that the 99 MPH pitch which was out of the zone was really that. Koch seems to have regained his velocity almost. I think by the end of June we may see some 100MPH fastballs in the zone.

soltrain21
05-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
They had him at 99 here.

Papa likes!

If Koch is getting his velocity back THAT much than we are in VERY good shape.

I seen 96 and 97, but I must of been looking down for the 99 one...

RKMeibalane
05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
If Koch has his velocity back, nobody is going to beat this team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
The Rangers broadcast had Billy consistently clocked between 96-98, and one pitch in the final at bat as 101. Is this accurate? How did it look on the Chicago broadcast?

I heard the Rangers announcers say that too. I logged on to WSI when I heard that. It's nice to see a Sox shutout on TV here in Texas! :smile:

Saracen
05-27-2004, 09:24 PM
In either case, that's some gas.

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
Papa likes!

If Koch is getting his velocity back THAT much than we are in VERY good shape.

I seen 96 and 97, but I must of been looking down for the 99 one...

The 99 one was way out of the zone to the left side of the plate, but it's very clear that his velocity is coming back.

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
101? WOW! i wonder how much press that will get?

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Cubbiesuck13

Not as much as if Prior hit 95 on the gun in his next rehab start at Iowa

mantis1212
05-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Uribe is just awesome. The guy is hitting everything HARD. How was he not tearing it up in Colorado? Maybe the change of scenery isn't as overrated as I thought. He may turn out to be KW's best move yet.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2004, 09:27 PM

I expect the Cubune to have a Koch-watch in the paper by no later than Saturday.

soltrain21
05-27-2004, 09:27 PM

Easily front page on the Trib

Honestly, I doubt anything at all will be said...

Oh well..all is right in Sox land :bandance:

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Not as much as if Prior hit 95 on the gun in his next rehab start at Iowa

make that 85

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Uribe is just awesome. The guy is hitting everything HARD. How was he not tearing it up in Colorado? Maybe the change of scenery isn't as overrated as I thought. He may turn out to be KW's best move yet.

most 'experts' thought that his lack of english was a problem for him in colorado. some predicted that the Oz would get the best out of him. i am so happy i could cry..

in related news, my bro is at the jacksonville suns v birmingham barrons game and says their SS (barons) is bigger than A-Rod and hit two bombs with 5 ribi's by the fourth inning. this is the first i have heard of a SS like that in our minors. they sat him pretty quick, the game was out of hand. anyone know about this guy and when he is expected to make his debut?

owensmouth
According to John and Ed, the scoreboard readings were about 4 MPH faster than a second one that they use. Specifically, on one pitch the board said 98 and their other reading was 94. Don't know which one is correct.

But so what? The Sox won. Very good pitching. Been awhile since we've seen back to back shutouts.

Bring on the Angels!!!

Saracen
Don't look now, but the Sox now lead the league in both runs scored & runs allowed.

JRIG
05-27-2004, 09:48 PM
After this game, one thing should be perfectly clear --

Jose Valentin and his .301/.338/.630 line against RHP is killing this team and he needs to be traded or released immediately.

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Don't look now, but the Sox now lead the league in both runs scored & runs allowed.

10th in the majors, first in the AL in runs allowed .We are tied for first in the AL in runs and first in the Majors in Runs scored. (thisreally speaks to the total lack of offense this year in the NL expect at the very top and the total presence of offense in the AL).

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Also, Buehrle is now 4th in the AL in Ks

hose
05-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Also, Buehrle is now 4th in the AL in Ks

Whoa!!! I never would have guessed that.

Saracen
05-27-2004, 09:56 PM
10th in the majors, first in the AL in runs allowed .We are tied for first in the AL in runs and first in the Majors in Runs scored. (thisreally speaks to the total lack of offense this year in the NL expect at the very top and the total presence of offense in the AL).
Actually, at least according to ESPN, we're not tied for runs scored. We lead both Anaheim & the Yankees by 1.

flo-B-flo
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
When koch gets around the plate consistently, his breaking ball AND velocity-- well imagine. Two straight shutouts against a very good hitting team, now thats impressive. Whats with all the Valentin whiffs? I have to admit I was TOTALLY wrong about the Uribe trade. And I'm LOVIN it!! GO- GO SOX!!!!!!

samram
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Actually, at least according to ESPN, we're not tied for runs scored. We lead both Anaheim & the Yankees by 1.

The Yankees have at least 18 tonight. But who cares? All I want is to be first in wins. :smile:

HomerCoach
05-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
After this game, one thing should be perfectly clear --

Jose Valentin and his .301/.338/.630 line against RHP is killing this team and he needs to be traded or released immediately.

From this point forward, Jose will only bat against right handed pitchers. He couldn't hit my 34 mph, left-handed, fastball!

voodoochile
05-27-2004, 09:59 PM

That isn't all of it. Traditionally the best AL teams give up .5 runs/game more than the best NL teams because of the DH/P situation.

I admit that I don't follow baseball like others on this board including yourself do, sticking with the Sox, but don't discount the simple solution here.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 10:08 PM
I haven't researched this completely but the last time the Sox threw three consecutive shutouts was back in July 4-5, 1964. They blanked the Indians three times in 24 hours winning behind Gary Peters on Saturday afternoon then following it up with Juan Pizarro and Joe Horlen shutting out Cleveland in a DH Sunday.

Now that's pitching!

Shall we try for three????? :smile:

Lip

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 10:08 PM

Well they must have just updated the site because now it does indeed say that we LEAD the majors OUTRIGHT in Runs Scored with 258!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

batmanZoSo
05-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212

The guy's a keeper. He'll be here for ten years.

Ruth Uribe
05-27-2004, 10:09 PM
I keep reading here that Koch was pitching between 98-101 mph. I would like to think that, but didn't Fox Sports Net show 94 mph?

MRKARNO
05-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That isn't all of it. Traditionally the best AL teams give up .5 runs/game more than the best NL teams because of the DH/P situation.

I admit that I don't follow baseball like others on this board including yourself do, sticking with the Sox, but don't discount the simple solution here.

Well obviously that's true, but for the best team in the AL in runs allowed to be behind more than half of the national league? Something weird is going in this year and I think it has something to do with people like Javy, Vlad etc moving from the NL to the AL. The biggest talents that went from the AL to the NL were two starting pitchers (Pettite and Clemens)

samram
05-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Well obviously that's true, but for the best team in the AL in runs allowed to be behind more than half of the national league? Something weird is going in this year and I think it has something to do with people like Javy, Vlad etc moving from the NL to the AL. The biggest talents that went from the AL to the NL were two starting pitchers (Pettite and Clemens)

Good point. IRod also moved to the AL. And Benitez went back to the NL and has a 30 inning hitless streak, not all this year probably, but it's telling.

DickAllen72
05-27-2004, 10:16 PM
One of the things that made me very happy tonight, which may have gone largely unnoticed, was in the fourth inning. Joe Crede hit a chopper back to the shortstop and ran real hard all the way to first base. He was out, but I haven't seen him dig like that for quite a while.

I don't know if it had anything to do with Ozzie's pre-game meeting or not, but as long as Joe keeps hustling like that on every play, he's going to be alright.

Go Sox!

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 10:17 PM
We also jumped past the Cubs into 2nd place for MLB HR lead tonight. Colorado leads us by a few ; their park coun't be a factor

DSpivack
05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
We also jumped past the Cubs into 2nd place for MLB HR lead tonight. Colorado leads us by a few ; their park coun't be a factor

The Rockies or the Cubs? Both? [Wow; now I have 17 posts each in the past two days]

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 10:29 PM
great game tonight, was anyone else in the 14K at the park tonight.

Great night to watch some good old fashion Earl Weaver baseball.

illiniwhitesox
05-27-2004, 10:39 PM
I am very excited about the way CLee has played of late. The sac fly he hit to right, with the bases loaded was awesome. It was all about getting the fourth run in and not going for the kill.

Also, the throw at home was not something I expected. 14 games straight with a hit. Timely hitting with two outs.

It's the kind of effort that teammates feed off of.

idseer
05-27-2004, 10:40 PM
i wish i could see some of these games.
tonight's a night you just stare at sox stats over and over. can't get enough.

OEO Magglio
05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

I was there. The ballpark radar gun had Koch consistantly at 97, I saw two pitches that were at 98. I don't know if the gun was fast or not but just to my eye it looked like billy was throwing some heat, to me it looked like he was throwing faster then Francisco and he's supposed to be able to reach 99.

Saracen
05-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
I was there. The ballpark radar gun had Koch consistantly at 97, I saw two pitches that were at 98. I don't know if the gun was fast or not but just to my eye it looked like billy was throwing some heat, to me it looked like he was throwing faster then Francisco and he's supposed to be able to reach 99.
The Rangers broadcast had Francisco at 99 on one pitch, the dude throws some serious heat. That's why it was so encouraging to see that same gun clock Koch between 96-98 on probably 8 or 9 pitches, and 101 on that wild one.

lowesox
05-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Somebody help me out. Wasn't Billy only throwing around 91-92 earlier this season? Even if the gun is off by 4 he's still in the 94-95 range and that shows he's improving.

TDog
05-27-2004, 11:09 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but these two consecutive shutouts were against a team that hadn't been shut out all season, before coming to Chicago.

It wasn't so long ago that people here were moaning that we weren't dominating Tampa Bay.

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Sox now have already tossed five shutouts in 04

... one more than all of 03.

Voice of Reason
05-28-2004, 03:51 AM
most 'experts' thought that his lack of english was a problem for him in colorado. some predicted that the Oz would get the best out of him. i am so happy i could cry..

in related news, my bro is at the jacksonville suns v birmingham barrons game and says their SS (barons) is bigger than A-Rod and hit two bombs with 5 ribi's by the fourth inning. this is the first i have heard of a SS like that in our minors. they sat him pretty quick, the game was out of hand. anyone know about this guy and when he is expected to make his debut?

His name is Mike Morse. He was a third round pick in 2000. He was pretty overmatched at the plate up until this year posting weak seasons at both A-ball stops. Now all of a sudden he looks like he can hit, his OPS is in the 900's and he has 9 homers in 34 games. A big leap forward by Morse is exactly the kind of boost the Sox farm system could use. Although I've heard he won't stick at short, it's not like we couldn't use a good hitter at third.

SSN721
05-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

I was there, going tonight, although I am nervous with Anaheim coming off a sweep and this being the first game of the series which the Sox always seem to have trouble with. I say the Sox will lose tongiht then take tommorrow and sunday. Although the matchups show tonight should give us a good chance. Last night was great though. I was noticing also that Billy seemed to be consistently hitting 97 and 98 and I saw 99 once on the reading. He looks like he is improving. Just a great game to see, timely hitting, sacrifices, and some power shots by Uribe. I love the one to center that bounced off the support wall for the CF concourse. What a bomb. Lets go kick some Angel ass now. :D: :gulp: