PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Defense

Gumshoe
05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Lee just threw out another guy at home! Seriously, where do you guys think we rate defensively, among all the teams in the AL or MLB?

It's been en vogue to say that we've had bad D, but I've seen some really solid D lately ...

G

SoxFan76
05-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Since I don't like to base these things on two plays, I do think the Sox are average to above average.

jcirish85
05-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I think the reason he was thrown out because the Rangers 3rd base coach sent the runner. It was a good throw, but it wasn't smart sending the runner.

Voice of Reason
05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't think we ever really had bad D. The Sox are a good defensive team. I think the fact that we do a good job with run prevention despite having a lot of pitchers who allow opponents put to the ball in play is a testiment to our good D.

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2004, 08:16 PM
i have always said Lee would turn into an above average fielder. i am not saying that he is because a few plays but considering he was a 3b in birmingham and played 0 games in the outfield before the majors is a major testiment to this man's work ethic.

i am still waiting for that gold glove

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 08:32 PM
White Sox D has always been UNDERRATED (even in 2000), except when Royce was playing, of course (then it was overrated)

owensmouth
05-27-2004, 09:51 PM
We've got good players who sometimes make bad decisions. Our defensive weakness comes from that. Not covering a base, throwing to the wrong base, not hitting the cutoff man, things like that lead to runs that really shouldn't be scored. A fumbled grounder that we get only one out even though we should get a dounle play (no error is carded because double plays aren't expected) is another example.

The White Sox do play good defense, but it could be better by just playing smarter.

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
The White Sox do play good defense, but it could be better by just playing smarter.

This is generally true of all teams, hit the cut off, keep the runner at 1st etc, the degree of discipline on these types of tasks takes a team a long way defensively

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 10:09 PM
It's like Ozzie himself said...'it's good, not great."

Lip

MJL_Sox_Fan
05-27-2004, 11:50 PM
The Sox defense has been horrible if you look at errors, they are fourth worst in all of baseball in errors (37). But if you look at unearned runs that are average the rank in the top ten (only 16).