PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on the Score right now...

IlliniSox
05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Pretty heated, Hawk's defending his comments from yesterday.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:12 PM
This is ugly. Hawk was wrong with his comments last night, Boers seems surprised he called. I have NEVER heard radio like this before.

bobj4400
05-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Hawk and Boers might meet in a back alley after this interview...Amazing radio right now.

illiniwhitesox
05-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Would those who listened to this broadcast mind recapping what was said? What did Hawk originally say that he is now trying to defend?

Just curious,

bobj4400
05-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Boers calls Hawk "crap on a stick"

bobj4400
05-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by illiniwhitesox
Would those who listened to this broadcast mind recapping what was said? What did Hawk originally say that he is now trying to defend?

Just curious,

Check out the "Hawk says you dont know baseball" thread...

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Hawk pinpointed Boers, Bernstein, and Mariotti as the three he was targeting last night. Boers said that Dan Bernstein is a HUGE Sox fan, and they just point out what they see. Boers also mentioned that he himself picked the Sox to win the division and stated he felt that Hawk takes EVERYTHING that is said negatively about the Sox as defensive and it gets ridiculous. He said Hawk should specify who he is talking about tonight on the broadcast. Boers defended himself nicely, Hawk had some decent points, but it seems as if Hawk is continuously trying to pick a fight.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Boers defended himself nicely, Hawk had some decent points, but it seems as if Hawk is continuously trying to pick a fight. I think you have it backwards.

IlliniSox
05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
The score's going to play Hawk's entire comments now, I was at the game yesterday and missed it.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't feel I do though, SEAL. Have you been listening to the last five minutes of the interview. That was an odd 15 minutes of radio.

Kid Kip
05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
i thought hawk was in the wrong there. i missed the last couple minutes of the arguement, but i mostly agreed with boers.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't feel I do though, SEAL. Have you been listening to the last five minutes of the interview. That was an odd 15 minutes of radio. I listened to it, and they were making a bigger deal of it than it was. Hawk has been saying this all year, and I agree with him. They took what he said out of context and ran with it all morning. Him calling to defend what he said and what was meant doesn't reflect him negatively in my book.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I just feel it is out of place to call Chicago sports talk radio to yell at a host. I don't know what it is about White Sox broadcasters and having to stand up for their team (ie Caray and Piersall) but it is unreal. Hawk needs to stop his personal crusade on the media. It's not his job to call people out during a broadcast. Stick to the game. That's all I'm saying.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
He is a mouthpiece for Reinsdorf and it's obvious. Reinsdorf uses Hawk as his puppet to get at his enemies in the media and it's ridiculous. Reinsdorf is a man who hates the fans that come to his organizations games and is so gutless he uses his play by play guy to get at his enemies. It is not Hawk's job to call people out over the air and last night was out of line.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I don't think JR hates his fans. You can say a lot about the man, but I really just don't think he Hates his fans. He may cheat them, tease them, but not hate.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I just feel it is out of place to call Chicago sports talk radio to yell at a host. I don't know what it is about White Sox broadcasters and having to stand up for their team (ie Caray and Piersall) but it is unreal. Hawk needs to stop his personal crusade on the media. It's not his job to call people out during a broadcast. Stick to the game. That's all I'm saying. I hear ya, but if he doesn't stand up to those guys, who I have a problem with too, then no one will. I want my voice heard, and if Hawk is the only one willing to step up to the plate to do so, then I appluad him for doing so. That's where I'm coming from. Maybe he shouldn't yell at a host, but he was being attacked all morning. He said what he meant and was continued being ridiculed by these guys as if they know more than him, about what he said.

Kid Kip
05-27-2004, 01:35 PM
he was attacked all morning because he said fans don't know baseball--not a very smart thing to say.

boers and bernstein do not have an agenda against the white sox. in fact, callers usually complain because they are "sox fans".

hawk needs to pick his battles because he looks like a baby right now.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:36 PM
So blaming the fact that the Sox can't purchase players on the fans isn't hating them? Disrespecting them? Unprofessional?

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
he was attacked all morning because he said fans don't know baseball--not a very smart thing to say.

boers and bernstein do not have an agenda against the white sox. in fact, callers usually complain because they are "sox fans".

hawk needs to pick his battles because he looks like a baby right now. No that's not what he said, he said the complete opposite.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 01:37 PM
last night, Hawk was NOT out of line...I spent a great deal of time thinking about what Hawk said and considered it to be very true. It's just been one more thing to blow out of proportion.

That having been said, Hawk shouldn't have called.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Didn't anyone notice how Hawk said that last night, it was like an old person telling ya, "you got a lot to learn kiddo". I mean, who would really think that he was telling people they were dumb. He was just saying, in a round about way, how crazy the game can be, I thought it was a refreshing comment, I mean, he said he doesn't know anything. It must be a slow news day for these radio guys.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
And calling out Boers and Bernstein is not the right two people to be calling out when talking about disrespecting the team. These two are two of the few who give the Sox and Cubs equal coverage in the Chicago media. I can understand Mariotti, but why B and B? Call out the Tribune, but not two hosts that will actually spend time talking about the Sox and give them respect.

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Didn't anyone notice how Hawk said that last night, it was like an old person telling ya, "you got a lot to learn kiddo". I mean, who would really think that he was telling people they were dumb. He was just saying, in a round about way, how crazy the game can be, I thought it was a refreshing comment, I mean, he said he doesn't know anything. It must be a slow news day for these radio guys.

I agree with you and I was upset at how Boers was picking this to death. I guess since teh flubs are in third place, it's time to pick on the Sox for something...

I wish I could have heard Hawk on the radio. After hearing how those boneheads were taking what he said out of context, I would have called to set the record straight too. Unfortunately, I know Hawk can get emotional so I can only imagine how ugly it got.

Not to discredit valpo, but can I get a recap from someone who agrees with Hawk or is neutral? I just wanna see how the other side perceived his radio time.

Hondo
05-27-2004, 01:46 PM
I think this is a good thing. A little back and forth never hurt anyone.
Hawk is a great broadcaster and think what he said was taken out of context. Even if it wasn't he's right. Unless you have been there you don't really now. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy, appreciate or know to an extent.

At least it's White Sox related discussion!!

Cellview22
05-27-2004, 01:50 PM
I missed the call-in by Hawk. Can anyone fill me in on exactly what he said when he called in? Too bad I missed it...sounds like good radio.

fledgedrallycap
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
As mentioned in another thread, what makes Hawk's comment incorrect? If you havenít played the game and been in the shoes of a professional athlete, how can you fairly and judgmentally criticize? It is fun to have discussions and opinions, but blasting someone and offered suggestions from pencil-neck journalists is justified in my opinion.

Whether someone wants to take Hawk's comment last night as an insult doesn't change the fact he is correct. As mentioned previously, they were discussing the mental facets of the game and how no fan could understand what players go through on a day-in and day-out basis. Opinions are what make discussing sports fun, but if we really knew what the hell was going on we would be making the calls for real. I actually thought he was targeting the media, in terms of radio and columnists.

Kid Kip
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
No that's not what he said, he said the complete opposite.

Really? I guess I was watching a different game.

Hawk did say on the radio today that he should have been more specific on the broadcast.

ps--I am a fan of Hawk.

duke of dorwood
05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
The fact that any players or people associated with teams go on 670 after the personal attacks laid on THEM by the people on those programs to 'stir up interest" is a miracle.
I am glad someone would immediately respond to the crap that comes out of that station on a regular basis.
I havent and wouldnt listen to that poor excuse for a sport station .

Kid Kip
05-27-2004, 01:56 PM
the attacks on the score were not personal against hawk--he was the one that took personal shots.

the attacks on the score were in direct reference to what was said on last night's broadcast.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Regardless of 'who said what first and to whom,' the White Sox come across as a childish, vindictive, unprofessional organization.

Just what they need to generate fan interest right?

Lip

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 02:05 PM
the attacks on the score were not personal against hawk--he was the one that took personal shots.

the attacks on the score were in direct reference to what was said on last night's broadcast.

that's right, and the attacks started because boers is a ****ing dope. He can't comprehend the statement made by Hawk when he said "I listen to some guys who've been watching baseball 30-40 years, think they know a thing about it, and don't know a damn thing". That's not calling out fans. And I applaud Hawk for telling Boers right in his damned earhole that he don't know ****.

And DJ didn't say that fans couldn't comprehend an ML player's thought processes unless they had actually been ML players themselves. What he said was that the average person probably has no idea what an ML player is thinking out there. Unless you were actually a player, you have no idea. That's not saying people are idiots, its saying that the average person has no point of reference to try and guage what a player may be thinking at a particular time. That's all.

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Regardless of 'who said what first and to whom,' the White Sox come across as a childish, vindictive, unprofessional organization.

Just what they need to generate fan interest right?

Lip

Lip, sorry, but what you said here is horse****. They only come across that way to you. It couldn't possibly be that Boers is a drillrod, could it? If you ever listen to their show, you have to know that you will not find a more childish 4 hours of radio anywhere on the dial, and that includes radio disney.

There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ Hawk calling up and clarifying his point, especially since Boers had it wrong from the beginning.

Cellview22
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
I heard Hawk's comments last night during the game, and I didn't think anything of it. He was just making the point that there's so much to the game of baseball. I just thought they went on way too long; I can't stand when they stay on the same subject forever, and draw it out and make it so damn boring. We get the point already..please..urrrgh...MUTE. :D:

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Lip, sorry, but what you said here is horse****. They only come across that way to you. It couldn't possibly be that Boers is a drillrod, could it? If you ever listen to their show, you have to know that you will not find a more childish 4 hours of radio anywhere on the dial, and that includes radio disney.

There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ Hawk calling up and clarifying his point, especially since Boers had it wrong from the beginning.

It's weird Kilroy, because I fully agree with Lip that the organization comes off as extremely unprofessional and this is part of the reason. You mean to tell me that comments that Hawk made that were vague and unspecific could be taken out of context is crazy? That's what's crazy. Hawk APOLOGIZED for being vague. He admitted it. Hawk came off looking like a drillrod. I'm not saying Boers didn't beat it into the ground, but Hawk made a mistake last night, and many people had the right and reason to take it the complete wrong way. You're right that there is nothing wrong with Hawk calling to clarify a point, but he also needs to realize that there is a reason he's being questioned. He made a mistake. And it just so happens that Boers caught it. And it probably wouldn't have been as calm as it was if Bernstein was there. It was just a weird situation, but Hawk made a mistake. That's what it comes down to.

joecrede
05-27-2004, 02:29 PM
I didn't hear Hawk's comments last night or Boers' today, but if Boers twisted what Hawk said he had every right to call in. If Boers offered a fair representation of Hawk's comments last night, Hawk was wrong to call in.

So from those who heard both sides, which was it?

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Really? I guess I was watching a different game.

Hawk did say on the radio today that he should have been more specific on the broadcast.

ps--I am a fan of Hawk. Yes he said that he should have been more specific, and then stated exactly what he meant by it. That's why I said he didn't say that.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 02:34 PM

the attacks on the score were in direct reference to what was said on last night's broadcast. That's not true, they were making Hawk out to be an idiot. They mocked him the whole morning.

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 02:36 PM
It's weird Kilroy, because I fully agree with Lip that the organization comes off as extremely unprofessional and this is part of the reason. You mean to tell me that comments that Hawk made that were vague and unspecific could be taken out of context is crazy? That's what's crazy. Hawk APOLOGIZED for being vague. He admitted it. Hawk came off looking like a drillrod. I'm not saying Boers didn't beat it into the ground, but Hawk made a mistake last night, and many people had the right and reason to take it the complete wrong way. You're right that there is nothing wrong with Hawk calling to clarify a point, but he also needs to realize that there is a reason he's being questioned. He made a mistake. And it just so happens that Boers caught it. And it probably wouldn't have been as calm as it was if Bernstein was there. It was just a weird situation, but Hawk made a mistake. That's what it comes down to.

But that's just it. If anyone was paying attention to the entire comment that Hawk made, it wasn't really that vague. When he said "I listen to some guys who think they know the game", he was making reference to specific un-named people. He came on the air and named them.

And this would not be the first time that Boers has taken a certain slant on a comment simply to generate material to fill his four hours of yak time. Boers didn't "catch" anything as you said. He invented it. Babe Winkleman only wishes he could set a hook like Boers did today.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
It's weird Kilroy, because I fully agree with Lip that the organization comes off as extremely unprofessional and this is part of the reason. You mean to tell me that comments that Hawk made that were vague and unspecific could be taken out of context is crazy? That's what's crazy. Hawk APOLOGIZED for being vague. He admitted it. Hawk came off looking like a drillrod. I'm not saying Boers didn't beat it into the ground, but Hawk made a mistake last night, and many people had the right and reason to take it the complete wrong way. You're right that there is nothing wrong with Hawk calling to clarify a point, but he also needs to realize that there is a reason he's being questioned. He made a mistake. And it just so happens that Boers caught it. And it probably wouldn't have been as calm as it was if Bernstein was there. It was just a weird situation, but Hawk made a mistake. That's what it comes down to. Hawk did not apologize. He said that if it came off like that to some people, then he was in error. That's not an apology because there is nothing to be sorry about. The fact that Hawk may have been misinterpreted and these guys spend an entire morning trying to figure the hidden meaning to Hawk's comment is ridiculous. It wasn't a big deal, and now it has become one because these guys are dopes.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I didn't hear Hawk's comments last night or Boers' today, but if Boers twisted what Hawk said he had every right to call in. If Boers offered a fair representation of Hawk's comments last night, Hawk was wrong to call in.

So from those who heard both sides, which was it? He did not offer a fair representation of Hawk's comments.

samram
05-27-2004, 02:40 PM
I just recall B and B criticizing Hub Arkush during the 2002 season on the Bears shows for constantly telling callers that they had no standing to criticize Jauron and/or Phillips because they didn't know anything about the game because they hadn't played, although he bragged about his having a coaching certificate. My guess is that Boers heard something of the same ilk from Hawk (maybe mistakenly) and decided to take him to task for it. I think it's dumb when sports people say no one else could possibly know what is happening out there. It's not brain surgery or rocket science. If you tell me I don't know what's happening when someone starts digging around in someone's head, you would be right- but I have a much better idea about what pitch a guy may throw next. Everybody on this board watches a lot of baseball and has learned a ton about the game from doing so.

That said, Hawk seemed to say that you learn new things every day and he is right about that. This whole incident sounds like a misunderstanding by Boers and Hawk getting emotional in response.

Of course, I have no idea since I'm 800 miles away. :D: Just being a fan of Hawk's and Boers, and knowing how they speak, this seems to be the case. Then again, I've never been a talk show host or baseball broadcaster, so how would I know anything?

sas1974
05-27-2004, 02:41 PM
I didn't hear the comments in question, but I think it's great that Hawk would call into the show. I think it's down to earth and something that many Sox fans could relate to. The media needs to be held accountable.

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 02:52 PM
It's weird Kilroy, because I fully agree with Lip that the organization comes off as extremely unprofessional and this is part of the reason.

By the way, not that I am disagreeing, but in what way are the Sox unprofessional?

bobj4400
05-27-2004, 03:11 PM
North and Buffone are talking about Hawk's comments and playing them right now. 2:09 pm.

DirtySouthsider
05-27-2004, 03:18 PM
The problem I have with Hawk calling into the Score is that he didn't just call to defend himself but he obviously has personal problems with Boers. He straight out told Boers that he knows nothing about baseball....but he said North, Buffone do??

Frankfan4life
05-27-2004, 03:34 PM
...If you ever listen to their show, you have to know that you will not find a more childish 4 hours of radio anywhere on the dial, and that includes radio disney.

I was at the game last night (and I really enjoyed myself) so I did not hear Hawk's comments and I missed the "slug-fest" on the Score. But I have to agree with the comments by Kilroy because I find B & B to be not just childish but annoying and offensive at times.

This whole thing sounds like a tempest in a teapot. Hawk's comments may not have been the gospel truth but I don't think they merited the kind of criticism they must have gotten from Boers in order for Hawk to call in to defend himself.

Maximo
05-27-2004, 03:41 PM
For the most part, I'm indifferent to either one of these guys. Take em or leave em. Sometimes when Boers likes to hear himself talk too much, he crosses the line and beats something to death. That being said, Harrelson should have avoided going anywhere near the subject last night for fear of being misinterpreted or having fun made at his expense.

And he definitely should have swallowed hard and stayed off the air with it today. Hawk is a representative of the White Sox, not Ken Harrelson. "If you're going to play with matches......."

jackbrohamer
05-27-2004, 03:51 PM
What is it with these crybaby radio talking heads? They shoot their mouths off all day bellyaching about whoever they want, then when someone calls them on it they can't take it.

Sox announcers & other representatives should call out some of the media jerks out here who badmouth the Sox every chance they get.

Kilroy
05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
What is it with these crybaby radio talking heads? They shoot their mouths off all day bellyaching about whoever they want, then when someone calls them on it they can't take it.

Sox announcers & other representatives should call out some of the media jerks out here who badmouth the Sox every chance they get.

http://www.cod.edu/dept/athletic/teams/soccer/alumni/_notes/burns.jpg

Who is that whipper-snapper? I like the cut of his jib!

CubKilla
05-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
I don't think JR hates his fans. You can say a lot about the man, but I really just don't think he Hates his fans. He may cheat them, tease them, but not hate.

Well, I hate JR so if he hates me, the 15-20 games a year walk-up fan who's had it with JR's 20+ years of nickle-and-diming his fanbase, then all I have to say is that the feeling amongst JR and this fan is mutual.

Foulke You
05-27-2004, 04:16 PM
On ESPN 1000 this morning, at the end of his show, Mariotti went on a big rant about Hawk (again) because a "listener" tipped them off to the Hawk comments and then they played it. He basically jumped to the same conclusion as Boers and immediately turned it into something way bigger than it was. Since it was at the end of the show he left a teaser that they would revisit this discussion tomorrow "at length". Ugh.

Couldn't these guys talk about Loaiza's stellar pitching performance or the Sox keeping pace with the Twins? I swear, sometimes I think if this team didn't get negative press, it wouldn't get any at all. :(:

:moron
"I'm going to rip into that Scum Sox announcer tomorrow!"

DirtySouthsider
05-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer

Did you actually listen to the broadcast or are you just looking to take shots at radio guys? Boers handled it very well. At no point did Boers bad mouth the Sox.......and Hawk bad mouthed Boers every chance he got.

Foulke You
05-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
Did you actually listen to the broadcast or are you just looking to take shots at radio guys? Boers handled it very well. At no point did Boers bad mouth the Sox.......and Hawk bad mouthed Boers every chance he got.

Boers and Mulligan were ripping on Hawk and making fun of him my whole drive to work this morning (30 min worth). I didn't hear Hawk's call in or how Boers handled himself after Hawk was on the phone but I can attest that he sent a volley of potshots directed at Hawk between 10:30AM and 11AM. I was getting annoyed with it so I can imagine Hawk was pretty peeved listening to it too.

Kadafi311
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know what inning Hawk made the comments in?

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Kadafi311
Does anyone know what inning Hawk made the comments in? 2nd I believe.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Boers and Mulligan were ripping on Hawk and making fun of him my whole drive to work this morning (30 min worth). I didn't hear Hawk's call in or how Boers handled himself after Hawk was on the phone but I can attest that he sent a volley of potshots directed at Hawk between 10:30AM and 11AM. I was getting annoyed with it so I can imagine Hawk was pretty peeved listening to it too. That's exactly how it was, and I'm sure Hawk was peeved about it and rightfully so. They didn't have to agree, but they handled the situation poorly and made it a bigger deal than it really is.

hose
05-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I like how thin skinned the media is when they are being called out.

Watch how all the writers and sports radio people will stick together and attack Hawk.

Mike North is a expert on basketball, football, and baseball

SoxFan76
05-27-2004, 05:55 PM
This whole debate is ridiculous and childish. Any sane person could understand what Hawk meant, and if you didn't, well then watch a simpler sport like basketball. NOBODY knows the game of baseball except for maybe Ted Williams. But that's only the hitting aspect. Baseball is wonderful, in that nobody truly knows what SHOULD happen.

Basically what this comes down to is a slow news day. Cubs are in third, and God forbid we talk about Loaiza and the first place White Sox. Cubs get swept therefore nothing worthwhile to talk about. Loaiza shuts down the best hitting team in baseball, no big deal, America's team is in third. Sad, yet true.

This is frustrating me now. I always knew about media bias, but this is the ultimate case of media bias. Focus on something that doesn't exist rather than talk about the better team in Chicago. THINK ABOUT THIS, ITS INSANE. Demolish Wrigley already, I'm fed up with this crap.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
This whole debate is ridiculous and childish. Any sane person could understand what Hawk meant, and if you didn't, well then watch a simpler sport like basketball. NOBODY knows the game of baseball except for maybe Ted Williams. But that's only the hitting aspect. Baseball is wonderful, in that nobody truly knows what SHOULD happen.

Basically what this comes down to is a slow news day. Cubs are in third, and God forbid we talk about Loaiza and the first place White Sox. Cubs get swept therefore nothing worthwhile to talk about. Loaiza shuts down the best hitting team in baseball, no big deal, America's team is in third. Sad, yet true.

This is frustrating me now. I always knew about media bias, but this is the ultimate case of media bias. Focus on something that doesn't exist rather than talk about the better team in Chicago. THINK ABOUT THIS, ITS INSANE. Demolish Wrigley already, I'm fed up with this crap. I'm fed up with it too, but I know of something that will make this blow over in a heart beat. A win, giving us sole possession of first place.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 06:09 PM
That won't help. Short of us winning the whole thing this year, nothing will.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by MeanFish
That won't help. Short of us winning the whole thing this year, nothing will. Lol, they're replaying it right now on the Score.

Dan H
05-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I am one who didn't hear Hawk last night or the Score this morning. I do know that Boers, especially with Bernstein, beat things to death and more than go out of their way to make fun of people. If Boers was called out for once, that is fine with me. Maybe he should rein in his high school type attitude a little.

As far as Hawk goes, he will not get anywhere with his war against the media. He has a microphone right in front of him. If he wants to criticize someone or clarify something he said, he has plenty of opportunity to do so. But he is shooting himself in the foot taking Terry Boers seriously. I stopped listening to Boers and Bernstein because they show no respect for others' opinions and just act like teenagers.

Finally, the Sox really do need to pick their fights. They feel misunderstood and incidents like this can make things worse. If Hawk didn't mean to upset fans, just say so and move on. Don't give the Score something to talk about.

jabrch
05-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Lol, they're replaying it right now on the Score.

I have been listening to this now since it started. This is GREAT RADIO hearing Hawk tell Boers what a dumba$$ he is and having Boers argue with him. It is embarassing for the Sox, but great for the Score.

SEALgep
05-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I have been listening to this now since it started. This is GREAT RADIO hearing Hawk tell Boers what a dumba$$ he is and having Boers argue with him. It is embarassing for the Sox, but great for the Score. Embarassing? I think Hawk is right on.

jabrch
05-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Embarassing? I think Hawk is right on.

I agree he is right, but that doesn't mean Hawk should be calling a radio talk show to argue with a dolt like Boers. It's undignified.

Frankfan4life
05-27-2004, 06:28 PM
On ESPN 1000 this morning, at the end of his show, Mariotti went on a big rant about Hawk (again) because a "listener" tipped them off to the Hawk comments and then they played it. He basically jumped to the same conclusion as Boers and immediately turned it into something way bigger than it was. Since it was at the end of the show he left a teaser that they would revisit this discussion tomorrow "at length". Ugh.

Couldn't these guys talk about Loaiza's stellar pitching performance or the Sox keeping pace with the Twins? I swear, sometimes I think if this team didn't get negative press, it wouldn't get any at all. :(:

I also wish Boers had chosen to talk about E-Lo's stellar pitching performance instead of ranting about some trivial, insignificant and inconsequential comment by Hawk.

Everybody should know that Hawk is not a very sophisticated commentator, he's a homer, he speaks his mind, he doesn't have a very good sense of humor, he's emotional and he has a very thin skin. He's not perfect by any means but I still like the guy.

thezeker
05-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I have been listening to this now since it started. This is GREAT RADIO hearing Hawk tell Boers what a dumba$$ he is and having Boers argue with him. It is embarassing for the Sox, but great for the Score.

If this wasn't so sad this would be hilarious. We read post after post about the unfair press coverage in Chicago and how the White Sox are never heard.

Yet, when we get someone on the air to try and point this out his own fans turn on him. .

Thank God Hawk is defending the White Sox! All the majority of the fans can do is criticize. I'm willing to bet those that are criticizing Hawk the most don't go to games anyway! Sometimes I think we don't deserve a winner. We would not appreciate it anyway!!!!

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I find it ironic that Boers is lecturing Hawk on what he supposedly said. This from a man who continually berates his callers and calls them stupid and moronic. And he has the nerve to call out Hawk for his comments which by the way, were TOTALLY out of context
Boers is a bitter old man who is VERY depressing to listen to. Ut amazes me that the man cannot treat any of his callers with an ounce of respect.
Case in point: Juan Uribe goes on Boers show. No one will confuse Uribe's English with William F. Buckley but when he and Mike Mulligan played a clip of it the NEXT day, he mocked Uribe's English the whole way through. The sad thing is that Uribe was nothing but polite throughout the whole interview. I found it petty and cruel and sad that a 50-plus year old man got a kick out of it.

RedPinStripes
05-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Did anyone get the even a hint of a thought that this is a Sox promotion? Somehow i think this is somewhat planned. After every shot Hawk took at Bores, he said something great about the fans and how the Sox are drawing fans. I cant see the Score letting this happen ALL DAY LONG without a reason. The score has just gotten real close with the Sox and even newspapers have hinted that the Sox may be moving to the Score at the end of their deal with WMVP.

Not that i dont think Bores and Hawk blast eachother all the time, but they both get paid well enough to put on an act. And it wouldnt be the first time the Sox or the Score try to fool people to grab attention. It's actually a smart idea. This is doing nothing but making Hawk stand out in this town. Good or bad, people will read about it, hear it, and may want to listen to Hawks goofy comments on air.

I'm sure some disagree, but the Score stages arguements like Mancow does.

BeerHandle
05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
i thought hawk was in the wrong there. i missed the last couple minutes of the arguement, but i mostly agreed with boers.

On my way home from the airport (after 5pm) I was listening to the Score and all there were a lot of people calling in on the Wise Guy show to defend Hawk and say the Boers and Bernstein always talk down to people.

Boers and Bernstein are always negative and condescending!

TommyJohn
05-27-2004, 08:01 PM

That whooshing sound you heard was Mariotti...well, you get
the picture. It doesn't surprise me at all. He will welcome any
excuse to rip into his blood oath archenemies, most of whom
are in the White Sox org. He is fixated on Harrelson now
because of what Hawk said at Soxfest. So JM is determined
to run Harrelson into retirement, just as he is trying to run
the White Sox out of town. And why? You got me. Because
this is a Cubbie town I guess. The White Sox shouldn't even
be breathing the same air as the Cubs, in Mariotti's opinion.
It makes me wish that the Sox would make the World Series, or at least come close. I would love
to read what he'd have to say then.

I will conclude by saying that his screeching hatred of the White
Sox, his repeated slanderous lies about the neighborhood and
his need to portray all Sox fans as thugs are one reason why I hate the Cubs. His columns of mid-October 2003 were some of
the most delicious things I have ever read.

BeerHandle
05-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace
I find it ironic that Boers is lecturing Hawk on what he supposedly said. This from a man who continually berates his callers and calls them stupid and moronic. And he has the nerve to call out Hawk for his comments which by the way, were TOTALLY out of context
Boers is a bitter old man who is VERY depressing to listen to. Ut amazes me that the man cannot treat any of his callers with an ounce of respect.
Case in point: Juan Uribe goes on Boers show. No one will confuse Uribe's English with William F. Buckley but when he and Mike Mulligan played a clip of it the NEXT day, he mocked Uribe's English the whole way through. The sad thing is that Uribe was nothing but polite throughout the whole interview. I found it petty and cruel and sad that a 50-plus year old man got a kick out of it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Mulligan felt bad for Uribe because he was doing the best he could and all Boers did was make fun of him after the interview.

Boers do you know a second language? Go on a German radio station and let them make fun of you afterward. BOERS IS A COWARD AND BERNSTEIN IS A COMPLAINER!

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 08:44 PM
By the way, not that I am disagreeing, but in what way are the Sox unprofessional?

I feel that the way Reinsdorf conducts himself and the way that he has treated fans in the past is completely unprofessional. The way he just threw a park up was pretty disgusting. The way Reinsdorf publicly ripped Haray Caray during a national interview after winning the division in 1983 is extremely unprofessional. He does as little as possible to keep the team above water. He has no passion and could care less about the fans. That is unprofessional.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Boers and Mulligan were ripping on Hawk and making fun of him my whole drive to work this morning (30 min worth). I didn't hear Hawk's call in or how Boers handled himself after Hawk was on the phone but I can attest that he sent a volley of potshots directed at Hawk between 10:30AM and 11AM. I was getting annoyed with it so I can imagine Hawk was pretty peeved listening to it too.

There was never a direct insult towards Hawk. Boers said repeatedly that it was a stupid comment, but never once attacked Hawk.

C-Dawg
05-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

Sure, but at least they're "equal opportunity" condescenders! Various members of the Cubs are much more commonly in their targets than the Sox. I enjoy their show, even if i don't always agree with what they say.

joecrede
05-27-2004, 09:35 PM
I feel that the way Reinsdorf conducts himself and the way that he has treated fans in the past is completely unprofessional. The way he just threw a park up was pretty disgusting. The way Reinsdorf publicly ripped Haray Caray during a national interview after winning the division in 1983 is extremely unprofessional. He does as little as possible to keep the team above water. He has no passion and could care less about the fans. That is unprofessional.

1983? Goodness do we ever let bygones be bygones around here?

joecrede
05-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by 32nd&Wallace

I head that Uribe interview yesterday and was appalled by it. If Boers wants to make a fool of a guy who's good enough to come on his show as a guest he should be man enough to tell him beforehand. Boers is a loser.

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 11:11 PM
What Terri Boers needs to realize is that he isn't funny He's one of those guys that acts like a moron THINKING that he is funny.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 11:20 PM
It was unprofessional because the Sox are a multi million dollar company. Yet through Hawk (and I can't recall of any other professional broadcaster getting into this type of war of words) they are sinking down to the level of everybody who criticizes them.

Like I said this organization is a lot like the original Mayor Daley...no 'insult' or 'perceived insult' will go uncommented on even if answering them makes you look unprofessional, undignified and petty.

The Sox organization should shut up and win on the field, nothing else matters.

Lip

batmanZoSo
05-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Boers has really pissed me off the last few days. He's way off about Hawk first of all. All he said was that you can't figure this game out.
And the other day he was talking about how "bad' Valentin is...more reactionary garbage to a few bad at bats that you wouldn't expect from a guy who's been following the game for 4 or 5 decades. Said he can't field can't hit. He has no clue what he's talking about, he must never watch the guy play. Also said that Uribe is almost "bad" as he would put it, saying he's not gonna last and such. :puke

samram
05-27-2004, 11:23 PM
I head that Uribe interview yesterday and was appalled by it. If Boers wants to make a fool of a guy who's good enough to come on his show as a guest he should be man enough to tell him beforehand. Boers is a loser.

They did the same thing to Cubs' prospect Jackson Melian a couple of years ago. I don't mind he and Bernstein at all (or at least I didn't when I was there), I thought they were great and the one duo who understood the new Sox-Cubs dynamic in the city.

TornLabrum
05-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Boers has really pissed me off the last few days. He's way off about Hawk first of all. All he said was that you can't figure this game out.
And the other day he was talking about how "bad' Valentin is...more reactionary garbage to a few bad at bats that you wouldn't expect from a guy who's been following the game for 4 or 5 decades. Said he can't field can't hit. He has no clue what he's talking about, he must never watch the guy play. Also said that Uribe is almost "bad" as he would put it, saying he's not gonna last and such. :puke

The word that comes to mind when I think of Terry Boers is "sophomoric," and perhaps that's giving him too much credit. His act of ridiculing anyone who misspeaks or disagrees with him got old years ago.

As for his commnets about Uribe, all I can say is, "Let's see what he's doing in September." There are a lot of spring phenoms who become very mediocre by the dog days of August. I don't know if Uribe will be one of them.

joecrede
05-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by samram
They did the same thing to Cubs' prospect Jackson Melian a couple of years ago.

That was just as idiotic as what they did to Uribe then.

batmanZoSo
05-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The word that comes to mind when I think of Terry Boers is "sophomoric," and perhaps that's giving him too much credit. His act of ridiculing anyone who misspeaks or disagrees with him got old years ago.

As for his commnets about Uribe, all I can say is, "Let's see what he's doing in September." There are a lot of spring phenoms who become very mediocre by the dog days of August. I don't know if Uribe will be one of them.

Uribe is super-talented...he may not regress at all. I'm sure he won't hit .350 but .300 is not unlikely. The year's almost a third complete and he's still going.

Boers is a major holier-than-thou, i'm-right-your'e-wrong jackass.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Uribe is super-talented...he may not regress at all. I'm sure he won't hit .350 but .300 is not unlikely. The year's almost a third complete and he's still going.

Boers is a major holier-than-thou, i'm-right-your'e-wrong jackass.

Uribe had a tough time getting his OBP over .300 in Colorando. He is young so lets hope he keeps it up, but he hasn't shown this in the past.

Viva Magglio
05-27-2004, 11:52 PM
I missed the game tonight b/c of work. Did Hawk address the situation tonight?

Also, it should be noted that Bernstein has been off the air for over a week not. He and the Score are in a contract dispute right now.

valposoxfan
05-27-2004, 11:56 PM
1983? Goodness do we ever let bygones be bygones around here?

I was asked why I thought the organization was unprofessional at times. That is still blaring to me.

valposoxfan
05-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Also, many of you on here were praising those two for finally calling out the Tribune a couple of weeks ago after the shooting outside of Wrigley, now you say that they rip on the Sox and they are part of the evil media. Cubs fans are often the targets of B and B much more so than the Sox and their fans. Bernstein is a MASSIVE Sox fan and you'd know that immediately from talking to him. Boers can be longwinded and random and Bernstein can be unfair at times, but don't put them on the same Sox coverage level as Mariotti. For them to be mentioned in the same breath as Mariotti when it comes to the Sox is ludicrous.

joecrede
05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
I was asked why I thought the organization was unprofessional at times. That is still blaring to me.

Fair enough. I think Sox fans would do well to show a willingness to forgive some things though.

valposoxfan
05-28-2004, 12:10 AM
And trust me I let it go considering I wasn't alive at the time, but it still stands out as so bizarre and odd to me. More so than anything that really comes to mind still.

batmanZoSo
05-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Uribe had a tough time getting his OBP over .300 in Colorando. He is young so lets hope he keeps it up, but he hasn't shown this in the past.

Here's a guy who's obp goes UP after leaving Colorado, how about that. He is young, he's still at a developing age. This could be the real him..

Vernam
05-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Viva Magglio
I missed the game tonight b/c of work. Did Hawk address the situation tonight?

In reading the Picks to Click, Harrelson said "Boers, Bernstein, Mariotti and I are picking . . ." and whoever he picked.

VC

Frankfan4life
05-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
On my way home from the airport (after 5pm) I was listening to the Score and all there were a lot of people calling in on the Wise Guy show to defend Hawk and say the Boers and Bernstein always talk down to people.

I recall when the Sox had a record of 11-1 or 10-1 in one-run games. B & B berated the Sox for that. They said something like winning all those one-run games was not a good stat to have.

B & B can't seem to find enough positive things about the Sox they like talking about. It seems that most of the radio and print media want to dwell on any negative aspect about the Sox. This team deserves better than that. Sox fans need and deserve to hear more good things about this team. These negative stories will continue to demoralize the fans, discourage new fans and drag down the attendance and then these guys will have a field day blaming the fans, JR, the ballpark, and/or Hawk for that.

firejauron
05-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It was unprofessional because the Sox are a multi million dollar company. Yet through Hawk (and I can't recall of any other professional broadcaster getting into this type of war of words) they are sinking down to the level of everybody who criticizes them.

Like I said this organization is a lot like the original Mayor Daley...no 'insult' or 'perceived insult' will go uncommented on even if answering them makes you look unprofessional, undignified and petty.

The Sox organization should shut up and win on the field, nothing else matters.

Lip

I totally agree with everything you said, Lip. I'm not the biggest Boers fan, but I was shocked at Hawk's arrogance both in the interview and with what he said during the game last night. As I stated, I'm not really a Boers fan. He is often arrogant with his callers who disagree with him. However, for Hawk to tell him that he and Bernstein don't know what the hell they're talking about is ludacris. Especially when he says guys like Mike North and Doug Buffone do! I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that one.
Hawk is indicative of many in the Sox organization who cannot handle any criticism of the team and lash out at those who dare offer a differing opinion.

I also think Hawk is still bitter towards Boers from his disastrous run as GM when Boers was critical of the job he was doing. Hawk is obviously making much of this a personal issue. Hopefully he will at least let this issue go during the Sox games and stick to calling the action and not getting up on his soapbox.

jabrch
05-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
I recall when the Sox had a record of 11-1 or 10-1 in one-run games. B & B berated the Sox for that. They said something like winning all those one-run games was not a good stat to have.

That was an opinion that many people here (not me) also expressed.

archangelgabe66
05-28-2004, 09:32 AM
The only thing that Hawk has to apologize for not making his target known on the air. His mistake was to use a blanket statement. Nothing else. You could watch baseball for almost 40 years and know how the game is played; however, every once in a while, something new and unexpected happens. That is the beauty of baseball: uncertainty.

Palehose13
05-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by archangelgabe66
The only thing that Hawk has to apologize for not making his target known on the air. His mistake was to use a blanket statement. Nothing else. You could watch baseball for almost 40 years and know how the game is played; however, every once in a while, something new and unexpected happens. That is the beauty of baseball: uncertainty.

Welcome!

IlliniSox
05-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I refuse to listen to Moronotti, but did he respond this morning yet?

Dadawg_77
05-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Here's a guy who's obp goes UP after leaving Colorado, how about that. He is young, he's still at a developing age. This could be the real him..

It could be but he is still a question mark and I like the fact Ozzie said he is going to ride out this streak for as much as it is worth.

Jjav829
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
The thing that gets me is Hawk criticizing them for being "spinmasters" when he is one of the biggest spinmasters around. Sure, he knows who cuts his paychecks, and so do Boers, Bernstein and Mariotti (ugh, I can't believe I'm defending Mariotti). Hawk is absolutely in the wrong here.

BTW, Boers feels that Hawk's feelings on him and Bernsy stem from when B&B criticized Hawk for saying that Billy Beane wouldn't be a good GM without Hudson, Mulder, and Zito.

ode to veeck
05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Like I said this organization is a lot like the original Mayor Daley ... no 'insult' or 'perceived insult' will go uncommented on even if answering them makes you look unprofessional, undignified and petty.

And unlike "Da Mayor" Richard J (who, for reasons we won't cover here, was impervious to anything in the press), JR & co. are in the entertainment business where such a public posture can be disasterous ...

I know JR actually realizes he's not really good at this stuff, even though he is admitedly very passionate about baseball and the Sox. If he would get a good polished, public spokesman that really was empowered to engage the press and believeable as a rep of management, he could perhaps get past this critical interaction gap that has really hurt the Sox over the years.

harwar
05-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Quite a few people can't stand Ken Harrelson but it seems his"Hawkisms" are quoted all over the airwaves,both tv & radio.
He has got on my nerves over the years but the day will never come when i side with beavis & butthead(the score guys) over any White Sox announcer.Those guys never fail to try and cause trouble for the Sox while glorifying the cubs.
The one redeeming value Hawk has for me is that he wants the White Sox to win as badly as i do.
Those score guys can go rot in hell for all i care.