PDA

View Full Version : Real Attendance Suggestions

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Like many of you guys, I'm starting to get frustrated by the small attendance figures. With out any sarcastic, unrealistic and trivial suggestions, what do you think the White Sox should do about attendance? Being a first place team is obviously not doing it, and half price nights are not cutting it either. Lets work on a way to help our favorite team.

mcfish
05-27-2004, 01:01 PM
End May earlier.

jackbrohamer
05-27-2004, 01:06 PM
How about Sox fans not beating each other up about attendance and enjoy the team

WWIII
05-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Let's be honest, this has not been a stellar two months weather-wise. Don't kid yourself - die-hard fans may come out when it's 40 degrees and raining, but half of the would-be 30,000 crowd is not going to. I know we keep saying wait until they are a first place team, wait until next month, etc., but they have only been first place since earlier this week (minus the brief stint there earlier in the year). When the weather improves in June, and they remain a dominant first place team, you will see more people at the games without needing any extra gimmicks.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Thank you for your serious answer, I do think weahter has to do with it, but I am not looking for gimmicks, those seem to not work either, Well, i guess I'm looking for anything.

P.S. Thanks for derailing the thread right away Mcfish and Jack.

Iwritecode
05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Win the World Series.

Seriously, unless this team does that or at least comes close (like the team on the north side did last year) and then comes back the following year with a team that everyone can feel confident picking to go deep in the playoffs a second year in a row, we probably aren't going to see a large jump in attendance.

Yearly attendance depends largely on season ticket sales. Season tickets sales depend largely on a) what the team did the previous year and b) how well everybody thinks the team will do in the upcoming year.

It's that simple...

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Some suggestions:

Drop upper deck prices for every game.

Build the FUNdamentals baseball field and make sure it is accessible to the upper deck.

Make Tuesday half-price nights available through all ticket purchasing outlets 48 hours before each Tuesday night game, not just the ticket windows at the park. Give out coupons for more reduced price weekday tickets to those who pick up their tickets at the will call window.

Build retail stores, restaurants, bars, apartments and condos on the sites of the parking lots around the Cell, with multi-level parking garages within the buildings.

Pressure the RTA to build stops at 35th Street on both the Rock Island and Southwest Service rail lines.

leon1973
05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by WWIII
Let's be honest, this has not been a stellar two months weather-wise. Don't kid yourself - die-hard fans may come out when it's 40 degrees and raining, but half of the would-be 30,000 crowd is not going to. I know we keep saying wait until they are a first place team, wait until next month, etc., but they have only been first place since earlier this week (minus the brief stint there earlier in the year). When the weather improves in June, and they remain a dominant first place team, you will see more people at the games without needing any extra gimmicks.

Weather has a huge impact on decisions to get tickets. I love the Sox and don't mind sitting through bad weather -- but my wife and family are a different story. I've been to a few games sitting in some cold rainy weather by myself where I've bought tickets at the gate -- but the tickets I bought before the season (15 games) are all for dates starting mid-June because my wife and family don't want to sit and be cold and wet. I think at this point in the season many people make their decisions to go to the game based on weather and on the spur of the moment. I have to admit -- I had a great time at a game earlier in the year by myself and the weather was terrible. The sox fans sitting around me were the best. There are other good passionate fans though that just like to enjoy a warmer day at the park.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Thank you for your serious answer, I do think weahter has to do with it, but I am not looking for gimmicks, those seem to not work either, Well, i guess I'm looking for anything.

Well, many of the posters here aren't going to want to respond in this thread because it's a horse that's been beaten to a bloody pulp since the mid-90's. That's a LOT of re-hashing.

While some will point to JR as the sole reason (ie. just his presence), the marketing and selling of the team/atmosphere/fun/product has all been poor for the past few years. The media has run with the quotes of Sox players and management and many times they've been nothing short of slandered. IMO, the Tribune being the biggest paper (and having a clear marketing/promotional bias and conflict of interest) , and the Sun-Times essentially saying, "yeah what he said", instead of taking another angle, have built the media and fan bias to the point where now it is pretty silly and outrageous. There have been hints at that turning around in the past month or so and most, for the first time in a long time, are finally confessing their biases and issues.

People won't come because they perceive the Sox to be a bunch of whiny millionaires and not fan-friendly, and the management team to be worried more about $$$ and bottom line than they are about winning and the fans. Whether those are true or not is debatable, but it's a reason (or excuse) I've heard many people use for a long time now.

Winning will attract fans back to the park, and that, in-term, will foster better long-term interest. It's too mammoth a task to be only a marketing or sales job at this point. They need to have a revelation and start going to the playoffs and winning there to really catch peoples' attention. THEN they'll pay attention to the marketing and sales...

JMHO.

Hangar18
They need to Appeal to Families More. I think they should build an Oversized Mini-Diamond, and plop it onto the CF or LF concourse. Kids will come in droves and thus alleviate Attendance Problems

Oh wait, theyre gonna do it already. But Seriously Folks,
If I were the SOX, Id ask the FANS themselves what they wanted. Or, I would look back in SOX history and see what it was that MGMT was doing before when SOX FANS were coming in Droves. I would quickly NOTE how in 1981, We spent $$$$ on improving the team and the PARK WAS JAMMING. I would note how this was also the case in 1982, 1983 also!

Taking this information, I would WISELY Increase the Payroll by addressing KEY Positions and SIGN KEY players already on our team to long-term deals. This would help The Organization on 2 Fronts.

1. Fans would Perceive Mgmt as Caring, and Wanting to do something to WIN.
2. Signing Key players already on our team and otherwise, would PREVENT us from later on trying to get same players and OVERSPENDING for them, either thru Losing Prospects

leon1973
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Some suggestions:

Drop upper deck prices for every game.

Build the FUNdamentals baseball field and make sure it is accessible to the upper deck.

Make Tuesday half-price nights available through all ticket purchasing outlets 48 hours before each Tuesday night game, not just the ticket windows at the park. Give out coupons for more reduced price weekday tickets to those who pick up their tickets at the will call window.

Build retail stores, restaurants, bars, apartments and condos on the sites of the parking lots around the Cell, with multi-level parking garages within the buildings.

Pressure the RTA to build stops at 35th Street on both the Rock Island and Southwest Service rail lines.

I think the train stops at 35th would be HUGE. Public transportation to the game just makes the whole experience less of a hassle. Anything that makes it easier for people to get from the south suburbs would be big. If I had nothing to do after work, I'd much rather get on a train and go to the ballpark than get in my car and deal with my own road rage.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM

Not only are there not currently stops, but I've seen several people say that there isn't even service most late-nights or weekends on those lines. If true, it seems both unreasonable and not feasible.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Randar, I agree, in my opinoin though, its MLB that is the problem in marketing. MLB has spent way too much time and effort romanticisizing the game, and harping on history. I think they should make a bold move to hype the players and their athleticism. If they could some how take advantage of this, I think they'd be better off.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Taking this information, I would WISELY Increase the Payroll by addressing KEY Positions and SIGN KEY players already on our team to long-term deals. This would help The Organization on 2 Fronts.

One footnote should be that if their market studies concluded they did not possess or could not acquire the additional funding for the financial means to do these things, then they should sell the club. After all the renovations and some recent .500 or slightly better teams, a savvy businessman/group would see this team as a pretty good investment, IMO, and could take it to the next level the current group has been unable to achieve.

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
They need to Appeal to Families More. I think they should build an Oversized Mini-Diamond, and plop it onto the CF or LF concourse. Kids will come in droves and thus alleviate Attendance Problems

Oh wait, theyre gonna do it already. But Seriously Folks,
If I were the SOX, Id ask the FANS themselves what they wanted. Or, I would look back in SOX history and see what it was that MGMT was doing before when SOX FANS were coming in Droves. I would quickly NOTE how in 1981, We spent $$$$ on improving the team and the PARK WAS JAMMING. I would note how this was also the case in 1982, 1983 also!

1. Fans would Perceive Mgmt as Caring, and Wanting to do something to WIN.
2. Signing Key players already on our team and otherwise, would PREVENT us from later on trying to get same players and OVERSPENDING for them, either thru Losing Prospects

That's part of the problem Hangar this fan base is so DIVIDED right now we probably coNfuse the hell out of everyone what the sox and the sox experience is all about.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Randar, I agree, in my opinoin though, its MLB that is the problem in marketing. MLB has spent way too much time and effort romanticisizing the game, and harping on history. I think they should make a bold move to hype the players and their athleticism. If they could some how take advantage of this, I think they'd be better off.

Benny, I believe that is what the NBA has done yet again, and I whole-heartedly disagree. Individualizing the game any further than what it is now, further detracts from the product. That Florida team last year had no real super-stars, but IMO, even for the casual baseball fan, that was one of the most exciting teams to watch in recent memory. They played as a team, they were exciting on the basepaths, they had athleticism out the waazoo, but they played with heart and emotion as a team, not in any individually-glorifying manner.

Jerry Manual's teams were teams comprised of individuals playing as individuals. I already see and enjoy the difference in the way they play now as opposed to the past couple years.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
One footnote should be that if their market studies concluded they did not possess or could not acquire the additional funding for the financial means to do these things, then they should sell the club. After all the renovations and some recent .500 or slightly better teams, a savvy businessman/group would see this team as a pretty good investment, IMO, and could take it to the next level the current group has been unable to achieve.

But it is also hard to say what fans really want, when no one really shows up. I agree with the divided fanbase part. Its like they are shooting at a moving target. I think selling the team is a real stretch, lets try to figure out what to do with the resources and situations we are in now.

Randar....I love you.

mcfish

Moronotti says attendance sucks and we start a thread. Brooks Boyer gets hired and we start a thread. Brooks Boyer asks for suggestions and we start a thread. Cubs sell out a game and we start a thread. Nothing happens and we start a thread. Do we really need 3 attendance threads a week?

On that note, my post was my suggestion. Attendance always sucks in April and May and attendance always gets better in June, July, and August. The weather has been terrible. The team played a bunch of day games at the beginning. School is still going for high school and grade school. Tuesday night fight night has gotten pretty bad, and I don't mind seeing 4-5 fights in a game. I've been to 6 games this year so far - about 1 a series. I'm doing my best, as is everyone else here. Not only are we rehashing an old conversation, we are preaching to the choir. Start this thread as an email to all your less enthusiastic Sox fan friends and get them to go to the games. Let's just hope for the best and see what happens.

Randar68
Randar....I love you.

LOL! I love you, man... hahaha. :gulp:

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by mcfish
Start this thread as an email to all your less enthusiastic Sox fan friends and get them to go to the games. Let's just hope for the best and see what happens.

great idea.

steff
05-27-2004, 01:44 PM

Why not take these suggestions to the people who can do something about them..? The Sox have NOTHING to do with building resturants, condo's, etc.. in the area. And they definitely have no control over Metra stops.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Well, what about the NFL? They market their athleticism, and they are the most popular sport in america right now. I agree that individualizing can be bad, aren't you sick of hearing about the storied history of this and that, lets look at what we have now, there are some really exciting things happening in the league, and they are all shadowed by historic matchups, and traditional thinking. I would like to think that baseball is untouchable to the new ideals of marketing and commercialization, but then i wouldn't be realistic, and MLB is being shot past in many regards.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by mcfish
Moronotti says attendance sucks and we start a thread. Brooks Boyer gets hired and we start a thread. Brooks Boyer asks for suggestions and we start a thread. Cubs sell out a game and we start a thread. Nothing happens and we start a thread. Do we really need 3 attendance threads a week?

On that note, my post was my suggestion. Attendance always sucks in April and May and attendance always gets better in June, July, and August. The weather has been terrible. The team played a bunch of day games at the beginning. School is still going for high school and grade school. Tuesday night fight night has gotten pretty bad, and I don't mind seeing 4-5 fights in a game. I've been to 6 games this year so far - about 1 a series. I'm doing my best, as is everyone else here. Not only are we rehashing an old conversation, we are preaching to the choir. Start this thread as an email to all your less enthusiastic Sox fan friends and get them to go to the games. Let's just hope for the best and see what happens.

I too am sick of the threads. BUT!!!!! Those were bitch threads, talk about how horrible it is, or how things should be, or how the cubs do it "better" (see hangar). I wanted this thread to be about SERIOUS things that can be done for an issue, not just a piss and moan thread like all the others.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Well, what about the NFL? They market their athleticism, and they are the most popular sport in america right now. I agree that individualizing can be bad, aren't you sick of hearing about the storied history of this and that, lets look at what we have now, there are some really exciting things happening in the league, and they are all shadowed by historic matchups, and traditional thinking. I would like to think that baseball is untouchable to the new ideals of marketing and commercialization, but then i wouldn't be realistic, and MLB is being shot past in many regards.

Baseball is a completely different sport than football, hockey or basketball. It moves at such a slower pace, that the historical issues and the like are great fillers. Baseball is closer in relation to soccer than any of the other major sports in the USA.

What do you suggest, playing blooper-highlights and ESPN-abbreviated short-attention-span clips on the big screen between every inning and between every pitch/out?

I just don't think that appeals to anyone.

Maximo
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Okay.....I'll take a stab at this.

1. Sox management has got to figure out a way to "grease" the media. As I write this, Harrrelson and the guys on the 'Score' are going at it pretty good. Regardless of 'who said what first', this is not the way to win friends and influence people. You want more positive coverage for your team, the media can not only help, but it can also hurt. The Cubs media machine and Notre Dame here in South Bend are two prime examples. Kiss the media's behinds and they'll not only sweep most of the bad news under the carpet, they'll start beating your drums for you.

2. As has been mentioned here recently in other posts, the Sox need to come up with a way to increase interest in buying season tickets or ticket packages. While the 'half price nights' are a quick fix for a short term, it doesn't take long for the season ticket holder to figure out....what am I getting for buying tickets for a lot of games in advance.

Have a drawing or something for season ticket holders where maybe they get next season's tickets for free. Same thing for the folks who buy 7 or 9 game packages.

This issue here is revenue.....not necessarily attendance.

3. Yes......market toward the kids and family. They are tomorrow's fan base. However, give away a few trips to Disney World instead of a miniature bat.

For that matter....give away a few trips to Vegas or something for the big kids.

4. If fights are a problem......Clean it Up and Mean Business!!
There has been a perception about fights at Sox games as long as I have been a fan (over 45 years). It may be an incorrect perception....but to many people....perception is reality.

5. Last, but not least, get on the bandwagon and stay on it in good times and bad. We need to be made to feel guilty about not being at the Cell and with the help of others.....ownership, the media, et.al, we need to spread the word that's it's cool to be a Sox fan.

I'll get off the soapbox, now.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I don't knw what I'm suggesting, but its time to realize that Baseball's popularity, and subsequently the White Sox, is in decline. In business, when things are on a steady decline, its time to shake it up,and try some new things. That is what I am calling for. I don't care what they do, I will go to the games, root for my team regardless. Its the others that need to be convinced. I am sure most of the people on the board are like that too.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM

A football season is 16 games long. A baseball season is 162. Do you think we'd be talking about attendance problems if there were only 16 games to choose from?

I highly doubt it.

Randar68
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't knw what I'm suggesting, but its time to realize that Baseball's popularity, and subsequently the White Sox, is in decline. In business, when things are on a steady decline, its time to shake it up,and try some new things. That is what I am calling for. I don't care what they do, I will go to the games, root for my team regardless. Its the others that need to be convinced. I am sure most of the people on the board are like that too.

Last season, baseball attendance set a new all-time high. They're on-pace to break that again this year. Even with all the TV and media coverage of the games, they are setting attendance records.

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Great Post Maximo! I agree, its time to make the Sox more noticeable, that includes PR. And I don't mean, some white trash runs on the field PR. I think the sox are stupid for not going after the large mexican population in chicago. I mean, they have the biggest Mexican baseball star since the mid 80's, and have yet to make a big push into that demographic. I think the commercials and overall aura of the sox needs a rehaul.

Rush20
05-27-2004, 01:55 PM
I concur with the earlier post to "unlock" the upper deck and allow fans to flow through the park as it was originally designed. Drop all upper deck seats from first base/third base through the outfield to $5.00. We need to start putting butts in those seats!

steff
05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
I concur with the earlier post to "unlock" the upper deck and allow fans to flow through the park as it was originally designed. Drop all upper deck seats from first base/third base through the outfield to $5.00. We need to start putting butts in those seats!

Yep... more folks like those that come on out to the games on Monday's and Tuesday's. Cool...

bennyw41
05-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Last season, baseball attendance set a new all-time high. They're on-pace to break that again this year. Even with all the TV and media coverage of the games, they are setting attendance records.

The popularity of the NFL, 16 games or not is undeniable. In the 80's it was the NBA, now its the NFL. the question is, when will baseball be back on top. I say its the commisioner's fault.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 02:01 PM
What if your ticket stub came with an alcohol-consumption punch-card built into it? That way, if you were 21 or older then they could punch the "over 21" spot at the gate. Then they could set a number of extra holes (maybe two or three) and punch one of those every time you got a drink, then cut you off when your card was out of punch spots?

Tekijawa
05-27-2004, 02:02 PM
How about meet and greet your new Centerfielder Carlos Beltran and New 5th starter Roy Haladay night... First 41,000 fans get to see Jerry Reinsdorf first real attempt to bring fans back to Comiskey since he stole a World Series from us 10 years ago!

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Cater to season ticket holders more. Have raffles where season ticket holders can win a suite party, autographed jerseys, one of the White Sox experience activities, dinner with a former player and a greater discount of ticket prices One additional season ticket is worth 81 in attendance while one additional walk up is worth 1.

Tekijawa
05-27-2004, 02:11 PM
What if you could turn in your ticket stubs from the current year (1 ticket per date, to prevent people from collecting 100 dropped tickets from the same game) for 1 dollar off per ticket.... maybe even something along the lines of a free bleecher ticket for 16 tickets... Make people want more tickets make them want to come out more than once, and reward them for doing so. Maybe set balck out dates for the redeemed tickets, but this would reward the fan base more than just the casual fan which is what most of their ideas seemed geared to... I also want credit for this if they end up doing it because I think it's a great idea!

Randar68
05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
How about meet and greet your new Centerfielder Carlos Beltran and New 5th starter Roy Haladay night... First 41,000 fans get to see Jerry Reinsdorf first real attempt to bring fans back to Comiskey since he stole a World Series from us 10 years ago!

LOL! What color are we supposed to use for sarcasm and pipedream in unison?

leon1973
05-27-2004, 02:24 PM
1. Reward season ticket holders / ticket package purchasers with some additional perks: free sox jerseys, hats, group party (even if just for a small group of people), fantasy camps. Or, offer them to season ticket holders in exclusive raffles (ie. chance to have a party in a luxury suite). I was contemplating season tix this year -- and I think these are the little things that could have swayed a decision. You want to be rewarded and treated a little different.

2. More opportunities for kids to meet players before games. I had my picture taken with Britt Burns (even though Britt looked a little ragged and unhappy) before a game when I was a kid and I used to pester my folks to take me to places to meet players. Maybe this is something they'll incorporate with "fundamentals" before games.

3. Get the players out into the community more (similar to #2). Not that this will necessarily correlate into better attendance -- but people will want to go see players who care enough to go out into the community and meet kids and fans.

4. Play hard baseball. I love Ozzies style in contrast to Manual's style and I think people will take their families out to see good baseball.

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Like many of you guys, I'm starting to get frustrated by the small attendance figures. With out any sarcastic, unrealistic and trivial suggestions, what do you think the White Sox should do about attendance? Being a first place team is obviously not doing it, and half price nights are not cutting it either. Lets work on a way to help our favorite team.
win...often

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
My responses are in caps.
Originally posted by leon1973
1. Reward season ticket holders / ticket package purchasers with some additional perks: free sox jerseys, hats, group party (even if just for a small group of people), fantasy camps. Or, offer them to season ticket holders in exclusive raffles (ie. chance to have a party in a luxury suite). I was contemplating season tix this year -- and I think these are the little things that could have swayed a decision. You want to be rewarded and treated a little different.

THERE ARE PERKS, JUST NOT AS GOOD AS YOU'RE SUGGESTING.

2. More opportunities for kids to meet players before games. I had my picture taken with Britt Burns (even though Britt looked a little ragged and unhappy) before a game when I was a kid and I used to pester my folks to take me to places to meet players. Maybe this is something they'll incorporate with "fundamentals" before games.

LOOK ON THE WEBSITE FOR MORE APPEARANCES..AND LET'S NOT FORGET...NOTEVERY TEAM HAS THIER OWN WINTER FANFEST

3. Get the players out into the community more (similar to #2). Not that this will necessarily correlate into better attendance -- but people will want to go see players who care enough to go out into the community and meet kids and fans.

THEY DO MAKE APPREAANCES AROUND TOWN, AS WELL AS TASTE OF CHICAGO.
4. Play hard baseball. I love Ozzies style in contrast to Manual's style and I think people will take their families out to see good baseball.
Gene

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
The popularity of the NFL, 16 games or not is undeniable. In the 80's it was the NBA, now its the NFL.

I don't know that the NBA ever passed up NFL, but their marketing savvy commish & Michael Jordan might have gotten them equivalence in the 80s and 90s, especially compared to the depths the NBA had fallen to in 70s. Now that Michael's retired, they don't have anyone close in combined playing ability and as a class act to fill the gap and they've been dropping ever since, the Shaq & Stacked Lakers notwithstanding ...

I liked the idea of Sox lobbying for service extensions on Metra lines for 35st stops during games ... and if you think the Sox have no influence, how the heck do you think they extorted the sweetheart stadium deal.

My top 4picks for Sox attendance:
(1) Put a winning team on the field---look at '01 attendance
(2) More Sox on TV. Yeah there's barriers, but go figure out some solutions.
(3) Revamped marketing strategies
(4) Turn around the negative Sox mgmt -media interaction, instead of negative engagement, grease the wheels and make it an asset. Ducking interviews isn't cutting it.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Open up gate three for season ticket holders so they can watch Sox batting practice.

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Open up gate three for season ticket holders so they can watch Sox batting practice.
good idea.....also...while i hate to take a cue from teh cubbies....sell food/non-alcholic beverages at an early bird discount..the cubs off 25%off....
Gene

SoxxoS
05-27-2004, 04:11 PM
$1 upper deck tickets on most days. Lip has talked about this before, and to me, it's a no brainer. Since you don't have a large season ticket base, you got to get the money not just from the tickets...but from the concessions (and most importantly, beer). Get people in the park, no matter what it takes. People would go in heaps and droves for $1 upper deck tickets.

It shouldn't be every game, but the "non-major" games like Texas and Anaheim.

Dadawg_77
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
$1 upper deck tickets on most days. Lip has talked about this before, and to me, it's a no brainer. Since you don't have a large season ticket base, you got to get the money not just from the tickets...but from the concessions (and most importantly, beer). Get people in the park, no matter what it takes. People would go in heaps and droves for $1 upper deck tickets.

It shouldn't be every game, but the "non-major" games like Texas and Anaheim.

No $1 ticket isn't a smart move. You would be underpricing the seat dramatically with that. I would $10 would be good enough to hit 50-75% capacity if other less costly moves are made.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by steff
Why not take these suggestions to the people who can do something about them..? The Sox have NOTHING to do with building resturants, condo's, etc.. in the area. And they definitely have no control over Metra stops.

I plan to write the RTA.

Do the Sox own the parking lots immediately adjacent to the stadium? If they don't, can't Uncle Jerry, who IIRC made his money in real estate, see the benefits of buying the land and developing it?

Jerry and the Sox did successfully pressure the state legislature to use taxpayer funding to build the stadium in the first place. I would think that pressuring the RTA would be a cakewalk in comparison.

cornball
05-27-2004, 05:06 PM
You have to increase the season ticket base. To expect 20,000 walk up biz is ridiculous. I am not sure what the season tix base is right now, but I would guess 7-9,000. These tixs are sold rain or shine, hot or cold.

The Sox need a 12-16,000+ season tix base.

How? First, win. Second, believe you can win....ie stop saying " if you come, we will spend". Third bring in players in the off season which gets everyone excited to make the fans believe the team has a chance to go all the way. And finally, and the hardest get a fair shake with the media.

Changing the park will not do it, winning will.

Realist
05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
The half-price tickets on Monday and Tuesday isn't a bad idea, but I would change it so it would be $5 upper deck seats on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and advertise it as such. Let Pepsi keep sponsoring the Tuesday thingy. Find a kid orientated sponsor for Sundays and let kids get a seat anywhere in the house for $5. Start Sunday games at 3pm. That's the only day or circumstance I'd allow any special pricing for the lower bowl.

A winning team and good weather will fill the whole place up quite nicely on Friday and Saturdays. No need to mess with that.

Sun-Mon-Tue: $5 upper deck seats. Advertise the hell out of it and only allow discounted prices for kids on Sundays. Charge kids $5 for any seat in the lower bowl except the bleachers. That outfield seats are a war zone. Step up security in the outfield sections. There's a real problem growing out there.

Change the start of games to 3:05 pm on Sundays and change the "Dollar Dog Day" to Sunday.

Every Sunday game should be is "Kids Day" and security should be extra sensitive to the behavior of the rowdier fans.

Wed-Thur: $10 upper deck seats.

Fri-Sat: $15 upper deck seats. The Saturday fireworks are great.

The 3 game series against the Cubs at the Cell should be rated "NC-17". Each game should be 25 cent beer day and the first 15,000 fans attending those games should given a free bat. Let's settle this thing once and for all. :D:

eshunn2001
05-27-2004, 06:57 PM
At least we will out draw the Flubbies in October.. That is ALL I care about.

Dan Gelo
05-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yep... more folks like those that come on out to the games on Monday's and Tuesday's. Cool...

Yes, we cannot let the peasants infiltrate our club. Let them eat cake. Give me a break. How about a family that can't afford 34 dollar tickets. If tickets were 5 bucks, I would go to 40 games a year. I simply cannot afford the ticket prices. I don't drink, and I don't get into fights, yet I love the Sox. Please take ignorants thoughts like these elsewhere.

voodoochile
05-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by eshunn2001
At least we will out draw the Flubbies in October.. That is ALL I care about.

that's what it takes, but it cannot be a one year thing. It has to happen every year or at least most years. Win, win, win. Up the payroll, take the hit, keep the stars even when you cannot afford them and try to build some customer loyalty the old fashioned way by providing a quality product at a fair price.

Right now, what's the single biggest off season move facing the Sox? The loss of Magglio. It is not only expected, it is anticipated. Flubs fans are licking their chops over our perceived pain and their possible gain. The sole star the Sox have on their team who has been here for an extended period of time is Frank and they have been actively tearing him down in the media and to the fans for a long time.

Guess what, when your sole long term star is viewed as unfriendly and uncaring, it isn't good for business. Build Frank up. Keep Magglio, Burly-Mon and ELo and go for some post season wins.

It must truly suck to be a fan of the flubbies, the Braves or the Yankees with all of those players who stuck/will stick around for a long time and are beloved by fans and media alike...

doublem23
05-27-2004, 07:59 PM
**** gimmics and all that other bull****. The only way the Sox are going start raising ticket sales is to win consistently and over a long peroid of time. Being in first place in May is not going to bring the fans out. Making an effort to put the best team on the field is the only real solution. You can have all the dollar dog days, half price days, and whatever silly marketing brainstorms you want, but until the Sox show their fans and the city a commitment to winning, they'll all be moot.

steff
05-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
Yes, we cannot let the peasants infiltrate our club. Let them eat cake. Give me a break. How about a family that can't afford 34 dollar tickets. If tickets were 5 bucks, I would go to 40 games a year. I simply cannot afford the ticket prices. I don't drink, and I don't get into fights, yet I love the Sox. Please take ignorants thoughts like these elsewhere.

Can't afford it.. sorry but that's not the Sox problem.

A family CAN afford kids day.

And if it was FAMILIES that were going to the half price nights there wouldn't be 20 fights in the seats.

Personally.. I'm sick of the bull****. Reducing the price cheapens the product. Hell yea I don't want that trash (Cubs and Sox fans!) at the park. I pay a LOT of $$ to be there. I should not have to "watch my back"...

Ignorant... cute. Home Depot might have a mirror on sale this week.

Dan Gelo
05-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Home Depot's too expensive. I'd shop at Ikea. real cute. :D:

steff
05-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Dan Gelo
Home Depot's too expensive. I'd shop at Ikea. real cute. :D:

That figures.