PDA

View Full Version : White Sox pitching

WWIII
05-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Anyone else really impressed with our pitching so far? Minus the gaping hole in the 5th starter spot, I think our pitching staff has been great. Buerhle is fifth in the American league in strikeouts, is 4-1 and looks pretty solid (he's also second in MLB in pick-offs at 3). Estey - well what more do you need to say after last night? Shoeney has been solid, and with one strong outing from Garland, our top four will all be under 4.00 ERA. Koch, while he may not be everyone's favorite, has managed to blow only one save and has actually looked good in several of his appearances. Shingo is coming around, has a 1.53 ERA and looks like he may make a solid closer in our future. All in all, I think they have been awesome thus far seeing as we're tied for first and have lost just about every game our fifth starter has started. Especially since everyone was so down when Colon left. Look at him now. Way to go guys!

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Great post!

I am extremely happy with our pitching. I am happy with how Ozzie has handled the pitchers and give some big props to Cooper.

If we Kenny goes and gets us a solid pitcher. This team will only get better.

Good things maybe be up ahead!

:D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Sox pitching has been good so far. Imagine how much better they would be if they got another top-of-the-rotation starter to push everyone down a notch. That way, Garland would be the #5. Wow. That would also reduce the exposure of the bullpen, making them more effective.

soxtalker
05-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Well, maybe this is the "half-empty perspective," but I'm not that happy about the pitching staff. I'm very impressed with starters 1-4 and Takatsu. I see that latter as a possible closer, though it will be good to see how he does as the season progresses and teams have seen him more often. I'm thrilled that Koch has a good record, but I'm hoping that makes him attractive to other teams for a trade. My impression of most of the rest of the relief staff is that it has been rather inconsistent -- good for a few games, then not so good.

jabrch
05-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Great post!

I am extremely happy with our pitching. I am happy with how Ozzie has handled the pitchers and give some big props to Cooper.

If we Kenny goes and gets us a solid pitcher. This team will only get better.

Good things maybe be up ahead!

:D:

I am thrilled with the pitching so far. I am not so thrilled with how Ozzie has handled them. I read somewhere that our starters have thrown more innings than any other team in baseball. That's scary if we are planning on being strong down the stretch.

SoxxoS
05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
On a related note: Is there any pitcher IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL that is more fun to watch than Takatsu? That 88 mph fastball followed by the 65 mph change is just awesome.

lowesox
05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Yep, I'm thrilled too. But I'm starting to get concerned because somebody made a very good point here the other day: this rotation is a lot like the 2000 rotation. It's good in the regular season, but how will it be in the playoffs when we go up against another playoff team. Generally, I'd say it comes down to money. Top pitchers with playoff experience don't come cheap. Just think, if we made the playoffs, we'd be going up against somebody like Pedro Martinez, Bartolo Colon, Kevin Brown or Tim Hudson on the first day - and, sorry to say it but, all of those guys are better than Burly or Loaiza.

All we need to do is get one no. 1 guy because I think we'll then have 3 number-2-quality guys coming after him. Which is REALLY important because then I think guys like Loaiza, Beurle and Garland match up very nicely with guys like Escobar, Lackey and Washburn.

SoxxoS
05-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Yep, I'm thrilled too. But I'm starting to get concerned because somebody made a very good point here the other day: this rotation is a lot like the 2000 rotation. It's good in the regular season, but how will it be in the playoffs when we go up against another playoff team. Generally, I'd say it comes down to money. Top pitchers with playoff experience don't come cheap. Just think, if we made the playoffs, we'd be going up against somebody like Pedro Martinez, Bartolo Colon, Kevin Brown or Tim Hudson on the first day - and, sorry to say it but, all of those guys are better than Burly or Loaiza.

All we need to do is get one no. 1 guy because I think we'll then have 3 number-2-quality guys coming after him. Which is REALLY important because then I think guys like Loaiza, Beurle and Garland match up very nicely with guys like Escobar, Lackey and Washburn.

IMO, you just need a pitcher that is really hot...look at the Florida pitching staff last year...the had Beckett and Pavano? Willis? Penny? Redman?

I'll take our staff after Beckett everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays.

MisterB
05-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I am thrilled with the pitching so far. I am not so thrilled with how Ozzie has handled them. I read somewhere that our starters have thrown more innings than any other team in baseball. That's scary if we are planning on being strong down the stretch.

That's wrong. The A's starters have thrown the most innings in the majors. As of 5/27, Sox starters have the 7th most IP. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics?stat=teampit&league=mlb&sortColumn=fullInnings&season=2&year=2004&split=127)

wdelaney72
05-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Schoenweis has been better than expected.

Loiza and Buehrle have both been a bit spotty, but have shown their ability to dominate.

Garland still needs to learn to put the bong down. He's just not ready to stop up.

Our mystery 5th starter has been a huge disppointment.

I woulldn't say I'm pleased, but 3 out of 5 are looking pretty good. That's more than a lot of teams can say. (Moment of silence for the Kansas City Royals)... Thank you very much.

I hope Kenny can get us one more stud for the playoffs. I'm not too optimisti on Garland come playoff time.

WWIII
05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Yep, I'm thrilled too. But I'm starting to get concerned because somebody made a very good point here the other day: this rotation is a lot like the 2000 rotation. It's good in the regular season, but how will it be in the playoffs when we go up against another playoff team.

We should wait and see until after the Sox-Cubs series. The crowds, the tension, the pressure - that series is as close to a playoff series as we'll get before the playoffs, unless there is a tie at the end of the year with the Twins. But I have been impressed thus far, and I think these guys can do well in a playoff. Would I like an ace? Of course, but if we're stuck with what we've got, at this point, I still like our chances.

MeanFish
05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
These two games against Texas have felt like a playoff series. There's been that extra edge there.

pearso66
05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Even if our starters had the most innings pitched, its because we haev had 4 pitchers throwing quality starts almost every time out. If they are going 6-7-8 innings consistantly it adds up. Its not like they are being over worked either, they are still pitching fine when they are taken out. IP is the least of my worries

Lip Man 1
05-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Frater says: "Imagine how much better they would be if they got another top-of-the-rotation starter to push everyone down a notch.

or imagine how much better they would be if they at least got somebody for the back end of the rotation who had an ERA of less then eight.

Lip

Nard
05-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Shingo is by far the best guy in the pen, but he shouldn't be the main closer. I don't care about Japan... if he comes out to close every lead in the 9th, hitters WILL start to figure him out.

He has a great, effective role right now.

And Koch is doing a great job.