PDA

View Full Version : Will Frank hit #500 in White Sox pinstripes?


StillMissOzzie
05-27-2004, 02:13 AM
Frank Thomas hit #10 for the year, and #427 for his career today, and that got me to some number crunchin'.

He's on a pace to hit 35-40 HR's this year, which would put him at 452-457 by the end of the 2004 campaign. With the mutual options in Frank's contract, I believe that it's a safe bet that Frank will be with the Sox for 2005. With advancing age, I'll project Frank at 30-35 for the 2005 season, which would put Frank at 482-492 by the end of 2005.

But what happens after that? I would hate to see Frank be in any other uniform to get those last 8-18 dingers in 2006, but I am afraid it's a distinct possibility...

Your thoughts?

SMO
:(:

A.T. Money
05-27-2004, 02:17 AM
He hit 428 today, but whose counting?

StillMissOzzie
05-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
He hit 428 today, but whose counting?

Blame ESPN.com and their recap of tonight's game, that's where I got the #427. If so, adjust my calcs by +1, but it doesn't change the conclusions.

SMO
:?:

pinwheels3530
05-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Frank Thomas hit #10 for the year, and #427 for his career today, and that got me to some number crunchin'.

He's on a pace to hit 35-40 HR's this year, which would put him at 452-457 by the end of the 2004 campaign. With the mutual options in Frank's contract, I believe that it's a safe bet that Frank will be with the Sox for 2005. With advancing age, I'll project Frank at 30-35 for the 2005 season, which would put Frank at 482-492 by the end of 2005.

But what happens after that? I would hate to see Frank be in any other uniform to get those last 8-18 dingers in 2006, but I am afraid it's a distinct possibility...

Your thoughts?

SMO
:(:


I hope so :(:

SSN721
05-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
I hope so :(:

Me too :(:

gosox41
05-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Frank Thomas hit #10 for the year, and #427 for his career today, and that got me to some number crunchin'.

He's on a pace to hit 35-40 HR's this year, which would put him at 452-457 by the end of the 2004 campaign. With the mutual options in Frank's contract, I believe that it's a safe bet that Frank will be with the Sox for 2005. With advancing age, I'll project Frank at 30-35 for the 2005 season, which would put Frank at 482-492 by the end of 2005.

But what happens after that? I would hate to see Frank be in any other uniform to get those last 8-18 dingers in 2006, but I am afraid it's a distinct possibility...

Your thoughts?

SMO
:(:


If Frank is does not play his whole career with the Sox, there is one person I'm blaming:

:KW

Where's the buffet table? I need something to write on so I can exercise a clause in his contract.


Bob

ND_Sox_Fan
05-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Look at how long we gave Harold Baines a chance to continue to hit to pad his stats with this team... If we don't do the same for Frank there is a serious problem. Besides, Frank will still be one of the best/most productive hitters on this team during the season he will be going for #500.

elrod
05-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't see Frank going anywhere else. No other team has shown any interest in him and the Sox want to keep hiim.

34 Inch Stick
05-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Frank will take his option next year at 8 million. He will take the option every year it is available. In my opinion the renegotiation after the diminished skills clause resulted in a series of options that will keep Frank here for the rest of his playing days. Either he has a good year and the sox renew or he has a bad year and Frank renews. Every year.

jackbrohamer
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Thomas getting his 500th with the Sox would be, among other things, great PR for the team.

So no, he won't get it in a Sox uniform

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 09:11 AM
I think he will stay and get #500 in a Sox uniform. I think Ozzie might have something to do with keeping him here as well.

Palehose13
05-27-2004, 09:17 AM
YES! If he goes anywhere else, I will jump off the kiddie deck in protest!


Well, maybe not...but I will be sad. :(:

pearso66
05-27-2004, 09:24 AM
I believe Frank has an option until the 2006 season, IIRC, can anyoen back me up on this? If that is the case, and he takes every one, then eh will most definitally hit #500 in a Sox uniform. In fact, he should retire in a Sox uniform, he knows that after his last option, that his value is decreasin, and may take 5 mil a year or a little less to stay. Although it all depends on if we win the WS, but then again, if he goes elsewhere, there is no guarantee he'll win.

jabrch
05-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
If Frank is does not play his whole career with the Sox, there is one person I'm blaming:

:KW

Where's the buffet table? I need something to write on so I can exercise a clause in his contract.


Bob

That's nice - but why would you blame KW? JR and KW will offer Frank a reasonable sum of money to stay here. They have to. It won't be 8-10mm for a DH - that's not what this market realistically will value Frank at. If it is all about money for him, he might find more out there if he wants to go somewhere. But if he wants to stay, I am sure he will be afforded every opportunity to do so.

iwannago
05-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by elrod
I don't see Frank going anywhere else. No other team has shown any interest in him and the Sox want to keep hiim.

That's what I'm hearing also and I honestly don't know why.

iwannago
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's nice - but why would you blame KW? JR and KW will offer Frank a reasonable sum of money to stay here. They have to. It won't be 8-10mm for a DH - that's not what this market realistically will value Frank at. If it is all about money for him, he might find more out there if he wants to go somewhere. But if he wants to stay, I am sure he will be afforded every opportunity to do so.

Not too many teams have a year in and year out DH like the Sox.
What does Seattle pay for their's>

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ND_Sox_Fan
Look at how long we gave Harold Baines a chance to continue to hit to pad his stats with this team... If we don't do the same for Frank there is a serious problem. Besides, Frank will still be one of the best/most productive hitters on this team during the season he will be going for #500.

harold had been traded several times and money was no issue.
this is not a comparable situation at all.



and i agree with 34 inch stick!

idseer
05-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by iwannago
That's what I'm hearing also and I honestly don't know why.

i'd tell you, but then the frank lovers would jump all over me :D:

iwannago
05-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i'd tell you, but then the frank lovers would jump all over me :D:

Then send me a private email.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 09:42 AM
If Frank played first base on the road, he would get to #500 sooner. Has he even hit one homer on the road this season? Haven't all of his homers come at home this year? I'll bet he could hit 45-50 this year if he played first base on the road.

Deadguy
05-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i'd tell you, but then the frank lovers would jump all over me :D:

Afraid of a little criticism or have just a flawed argument to share?

idseer
05-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Afraid of a little criticism or just a flawed argument to share?

neither, just don't want to beat a dead horse.
do you? :smile:

Deadguy
05-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
I believe Frank has an option until the 2006 season, IIRC, can anyoen back me up on this? If that is the case, and he takes every one, then eh will most definitally hit #500 in a Sox uniform. In fact, he should retire in a Sox uniform, he knows that after his last option, that his value is decreasin, and may take 5 mil a year or a little less to stay.

Thomas' option is for 10 million dollars, which can be bought out for 3.5 million dollars, which would allow Thomas to test FA.

Thomas has remained a White Sox because of his mutual loyalty with Reinsdorf, while KW has been trying to push him out the door since he was named GM.

Tellum and Reinsdorf are currently working on a deal behind the scenes that would nullify the current deal, and give Thomas a 4 year deal with guaranteed money, that would ensure that Frank finishes his career on the South Side, which is the way it should be.

Thomas' power and ability to get on base won't disappear, which are the two ingredients needed to post a high OPS. His BA fluctuates because BA is a fickle stat, and can significantly alter with a few breaks here and there. Considering baseball is half runs scored and half runs allowed, it is essential that Thomas remain the centerpiece of this offense, has his VORP remains the highest by far on the team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Tellum and Reinsdorf are currently working on a deal behind the scenes that would nullify the current deal, and give Thomas a 4 year deal with guaranteed money, that would ensure that Frank finishes his career on the South Side, which is the way it should be.

This is great news. Let's hope it happens this year, that Frank plays some more 1B, and that they lock up Maggs as well.

idseer
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
This is great news. Let's hope it happens this year, that Frank plays some more 1B, and that they lock up Maggs as well.

it doesn't look like he's going to playing 1st base does it? i expected he'd have already had some time there. apparently everyone here at wsi thinks he should be at 1st and everyone who matters thinks he shouldn't.

ode to veeck
05-27-2004, 11:18 AM
its actually a democracy ... WSIers all get one vote (for Frank at 1B) and KW gets 1,000,000 votes, so we lose in spite of pretty darn close to unanamous opinion among WSIers

ND_Sox_Fan
05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by idseer
it doesn't look like he's going to playing 1st base does it? i expected he'd have already had some time there. apparently everyone here at wsi thinks he should be at 1st and everyone who matters thinks he shouldn't.

He had better be the guy at 1st during interleague games!!!!

34 Inch Stick
05-27-2004, 12:07 PM
If Knoerko starts any of the 6 games I will be upset.

pearso66
05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
I'll say right now that I see Frank playing at least 1/2 of the interleague games at first, unless Konerko is on fire.

I sure hope they sign him to a 4 year contract, maybe around 6 mil a year, I also hope that they dont play him at 1st, that way national league teams wont be swayed to sign him, then he will definitally stay here. Although all of that is a moot point if he does sign a 4 year contract

ewokpelts
05-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Yes.

gosox41
05-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's nice - but why would you blame KW? JR and KW will offer Frank a reasonable sum of money to stay here. They have to. It won't be 8-10mm for a DH - that's not what this market realistically will value Frank at. If it is all about money for him, he might find more out there if he wants to go somewhere. But if he wants to stay, I am sure he will be afforded every opportunity to do so.

KW supposedly exercised the clause last time, without getting JR's approval first. The Sox need to do everything they can to keep Frank around here for the remainder of his career.


Bob

gosox41
05-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Thomas' option is for 10 million dollars, which can be bought out for 3.5 million dollars, which would allow Thomas to test FA.

Thomas has remained a White Sox because of his mutual loyalty with Reinsdorf, while KW has been trying to push him out the door since he was named GM.

Tellum and Reinsdorf are currently working on a deal behind the scenes that would nullify the current deal, and give Thomas a 4 year deal with guaranteed money, that would ensure that Frank finishes his career on the South Side, which is the way it should be.

Thomas' power and ability to get on base won't disappear, which are the two ingredients needed to post a high OPS. His BA fluctuates because BA is a fickle stat, and can significantly alter with a few breaks here and there. Considering baseball is half runs scored and half runs allowed, it is essential that Thomas remain the centerpiece of this offense, has his VORP remains the highest by far on the team.


Is this contract negotiation definitely going on or just speculation?


Bob

RKMeibalane
05-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Williams has been trying to push Frank out the door since 2002. That said, I think Frank will finish his career on the South Side, which means that he will hit #500 in a Sox uniform.

As far as Thomas playing first base is concerned, I think he will start the majority of the games in NL parks. Konerko is having a good season, but Frank has been swinging the bat well recently. With interleague play not far away, he is the one who should be getting most of the playing time in the field.

batmanZoSo
05-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Williams has been trying to push Frank out the door since 2002. That said, I think Frank will finish his career on the South Side, which means that he will hit #500 in a Sox uniform.

As far as Thomas playing first base is concerned, I think he will start the majority of the games in NL parks. Konerko is having a good season, but Frank has been swinging the bat well recently. With interleague play not far away, he is the one who should be getting most of the playing time in the field.

A nice few weeks at first will really send his numbers skyrocketing...we could really go on a tear with him on one.